Recommendations: 1.6M-1.7M

the.irvine

Where to buy 4+ bed SFR in Irvine? Budget is 1.6-1.7M.

With rates so low, want to do buy it before prices climb up again

the.irvine said:
Where to buy 4+ bed SFR in Irvine? Budget is 1.6-1.7M.

With rates so low, want to do buy it before prices climb up again

In that price range, you have plenty of time and plenty of choices so take your time and find the right home.  Questions I would ask are as follows...

1)  Brand new, newer (2010+ build), or older (renovations ok)?
2)  Irvine school district only?
3)  Sensitivity to mello roos?
4)  What part of Irvine do you want to be in (North of the 5, South of the 405)?
5)  Larger lot size important?

For your budget you are looking at 3,000sf+ with 4-5 bedrooms along with a loft and at that budget I would want each bedroom to have its own bathroom. 

I think Quail Hill is a good place as long as the home is far from power lines.

For new ones, I would recommend Orchard Hills also, but I personally don't really like that it's too far from 5 or 405.

For purely investment purposes, EW or SG are better options IMHO.

I don't think EW or SG are better for investments at the 1.6-1.7m range.  There's so much better out there at that price range with way larger lots.

Mety said:
I think Quail Hill is a good place as long as the home is far from power lines.

For new ones, I would recommend Orchard Hills also, but I personally don't really like that it's too far from 5 or 405.

For purely investment purposes, EW or SG are better options IMHO.

I was talking to USC about this the other day...view lot in OH or maybe a tear down in Turtle Rock if you have a bit more cash. 

I'm stuck with a condo in Irvine unless I win the lottery, but if I had this budget I'd definitely go for a view lot. Groves at Orchard Hills (I personally prefer this location to the Reserve, as long as you're not too close to toll road), Quail Hill, or Turtle Rock.

akkord said:
I was talking to USC about this the other day...view lot in OH or maybe a tear down in Turtle Rock if you have a bit more cash.

Can you get a view lot in OH for $1.6m?  Like Como?

irvineboy said:
akkord said:

Can you get a view lot in OH for $1.6m?  Like Como?

TBH I'm not sure, check with their sales office.  My quick glance at their website is 1.4s, not sure how up to date that is, view lot premiums ~200k?  Maybe for 1.6+ some?

I prefer the more southern locations if you are looking at elevation.

I may be the only one here who feels like this, but I do not like the OH area. It's warmer and closer to fire hazard area.

I'd go for QH or the Turtles (Rock and Ridge). And no, I would not consider Laguna Altura, it's shown to hold value but I just don't like that area (maybe that hood is my LL Irvine).

irvinehomeowner said:

I may be the only one here who feels like this, but I do not like the OH area. It's warmer and closer to fire hazard area.

I'd go for QH or the Turtles (Rock and Ridge). And no, I would not consider Laguna Altura, it's shown to hold value but I just don't like that area (maybe that hood is my LL Irvine).

Why do you like QH and why don?t you like LA?

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Just to be more specific, I prefer the middle/west area of QH. There are several reasons:

1. No gate.
2. More open. LA feels like an enclosed maze.
3. Single loaded streets in Vicarra hood with better views than LA
4. Elem school inside the area.
5. Shopping center walkable/bikeable.
6. Don't need to use a freeway to enter/exit neighborhood.
7. Lower MRs.
8. Many SFRs have 3CGs (some detached condos even have 3CWGs).
9. Large Community Park (baller!) and Community Center (new!).
10. Access to hiking/biking trails.

I could keep going but I think you get the picture.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

Just to be more specific, I prefer the middle/west area of QH. There are several reasons:

1. No gate.
2. More open. LA feels like an enclosed maze.
3. Single loaded streets in Vicarra hood with better views than LA
4. Elem school inside the area.
5. Shopping center walkable/bikeable.
6. Don't need to use a freeway to enter/exit neighborhood.
7. Lower MRs.
8. Many SFRs have 3CGs (some detached condos even have 3CWGs).
9. Large Community Park (baller!) and Community Center (new!).
10. Access to hiking/biking trails.

I could keep going but I think you get the picture.

I like QH also. I don't know if it's true or just my feeling, but whenever I drive to QH, it feels more fresh and feels like I'm breathing mountain air. The community is no doubt one of the best in Irvine IMHO. It almost doesn't feel like Irvine in a way if you know what I mean.

The problem I have with QH is that their floor plans are not that good for my taste. I prefer LA's or typical TIC's open concept. It's mainly because we have kids to look for while we're cooking or eating. I guess once they grow to be teenagers we don't really need that, but I think open concept does look/feel bigger also instead of cramped feeling like the houses from QH. I don't know all the floor plans from QH so I can't say I don't like everything, but ones I've checked out mostly had separate kitchen, living, and dining areas where you can't see from one to another. The homes also seem smaller than the actual square footage.

LA, which is right next to QH, in my opinion is better in terms of being newer and the for appreciation value. Yes, it's nothing special with those floor plans, but they work for people like us. QH does look like a better community with their amenities and whatnot, but LA's swimming pools, parks, and ball courts are pretty good also. The only thing I don't like is the price. You probably can get a bigger home in QH in the same budget.

Mety: Which floorplans in QH have you looked at? QH has several "open concept" homes... Tapestry, Linden, Sienna just to name a few.

irvinehomeowner said:
Mety: Which floorplans in QH have you looked at? QH has several "open concept" homes... Tapestry, Linden, Sienna just to name a few.

I can't remember tract names, but those tracts you've mentioned all have separate dinning areas as well.

Back