Remove Fireplace and Chimney

Leaf

I'm interested in a one-story house with two fireplaces -- one in the living room and one in the family room. Due to the fireplace in the family room, there is no good place to put a TV. So I was wondering if the fireplace and chimney can be removed (please see the attached picture). If budget allows, I want to push the walls a little bit out (to the red lines).

Is there any HOA or city regulation prohibiting the removal of fireplace and chimney in Irvine? I saw some remodeled/expanded their houses and kept the original fireplace, but they look really weird. So I was wondering if they were required to keep the original fireplace and chimney.

Thanks.

Attachments

• FamilyRoom.jpg
    FamilyRoom.jpg
    18.8 KB · Views: 152
Do you or the agent have a copy of the HOA's CCRs? If not, ask them.
What does the home inspector suggest?
Do you know what type of fireplace it is- wood burning only or connected to a gas/electric supply?
Maybe also check -https://www.cityofirvine.org/community-development/permit-processing-center
Not sure if this includes fireplaces, but it does say-
"Inspections for installation of small appliances (i.e., water heaters and fixtures; heating and cooling appliance replacements and residential re-roofing are performed by City Inspectors."

Removing a fireplace is easy and not that expensive but removing a chimney is a whole different story.  I took out the fireplace and drywalled over where it used to be and left the chimney as is.

I went to the open house but haven't placed an offer yet. Just want to see if it is possible for future remodel. Will check with HOA. Thanks for the suggestions.

mads said:
Do you or the agent have a copy of the HOA's CCRs? If not, ask them.
What does the home inspector suggest?
Do you know what type of fireplace it is- wood burning only or connected to a gas/electric supply?
Maybe also check -https://www.cityofirvine.org/community-development/permit-processing-center
Not sure if this includes fireplaces, but it does say-
"Inspections for installation of small appliances (i.e., water heaters and fixtures; heating and cooling appliance replacements and residential re-roofing are performed by City Inspectors."

USCTrojanCPA said:
Removing a fireplace is easy and not that expensive but removing a chimney is a whole different story.  I took out the fireplace and drywalled over where it used to be and left the chimney as is.

That's what we did also. The chimney is buried behind the dry wall.

Back