Old Timey Irvine & OC

Liar Loan

I thought it would fun to start a thread featuring either photos or just written memories of things from the past here in Irvine or OC.  We've had other threads that went off topic where we talked about these things.  For example, I had fun reminiscing about Lion Country Safari awhile back.

So to kick it off, here is photo that I recently stumbled across:

A car that was driven into a motel pool, the driver was arrested ?on suspicion of driving while intoxicated?
Costa Mesa, California, March 18, 1984

9bfqjbu1mbq31.jpg

Which hotel is that? Says Costa Mesa so is it one of the ones that line Newport Ave/55?

Also, I'm not sure if I'm imagining this but at one time it was either on the 73 or the 55, there were homes were the freeway now is. Does anyone else remember that?

I pulled that off a Reddit thread and somebody said it was off the 55.  The car must have really been moving to have crashed through the pool fence like that.

Speaking of Armalite...

The infamous Saturday night special manufactures, Jennings/Raven/Bryco were based in Irvine/Costa Mesa at one time.  Lorcin was in Riverside and Davis was in Chino.  Today Phoenix Arms still operates in Ontario CA, though long over-shadowed by Hi Point/MKS Supply (Ohio) in the cheap die-cast Zamak market.

Happiness said:

Ah yes... He would yell at strippers and liberals on his show, only to have all his ad slots filled with phone sex ads, then end the show with a benediction from Reverend Schueller.  The audience was filled with drunk college aged kids that would cause so much ruckus that Wally would threaten to kick them out each week. 

This was the prototype for Hannity and so many others to follow.

Wally George was recording at KDOC-TV studio in Irvine when they moved from Anaheim.  Sadly, after numerous failed marriages and health issues, he went bankrupt and died poor.

I recall watching him on TV at my friend's house in Hawaiian Gardens, while we played "Red Storm Rising" board game 30 years ago.  My friend was really into Twilight 2000 (GDW) and tried to wiggle his way into our D&D group.  :D

momopi said:
Speaking of Armalite...

The infamous Saturday night special manufactures, Jennings/Raven/Bryco were based in Irvine/Costa Mesa at one time.  Lorcin was in Riverside and Davis was in Chino.  Today Phoenix Arms still operates in Ontario CA, though long over-shadowed by Hi Point/MKS Supply (Ohio) in the cheap die-cast Zamak market.
OMG Lorcin! Thanks for the memories. As a kid I had the pleasure of meeting Gene Stoner who showed me around the Armalite vault located at 16th St. in Costa Mesa. I got to hold the original AR-15 prototype, with wooden stock, in my trembling hands.

Liar Loan said:
Happiness said:

Ah yes... He would yell at strippers and liberals on his show, only to have all his ad slots filled with phone sex ads, then end the show with a benediction from Reverend Schueller.  The audience was filled with drunk college aged kids that would cause so much ruckus that Wally would threaten to kick them out each week. 

This was the prototype for Hannity and so many others to follow.

My most memorable Hot Seat episode was when Tom Metzger (Grand Dragon of KKK) and Irv Rubin (President of Jewish Defense League) were on the show. Wally cut to commercial when Irv lunged at Tom and when the show came back from commercial, the set was destroyed.

momopi said:
Wally George was recording at KDOC-TV studio in Irvine when they moved from Anaheim.  Sadly, after numerous failed marriages and health issues, he went bankrupt and died poor.

I remember towards the end he would always talk about how his daughter was the famous actress, Rebecca De Mornay.  You could tell he was proud of her and missed her.  I don't think she was on speaking terms with him.  Kinda sad.

momopi said:
I recall watching him on TV at my friend's house in Hawaiian Gardens, while we played "Red Storm Rising" board game 30 years ago.  My friend was really into Twilight 2000 (GDW) and tried to wiggle his way into our D&D group.  :D

This brings back lots of memories.  My group was into Axis & Allies and we would sometimes have two 8-hour sessions per weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  Man, I wish I had that kind of free time again.  We occasionally played some D&D, although I was really into HeroQuest during my middle school years.

Liar Loan said:
momopi said:

I remember towards the end he would always talk about how his daughter was the famous actress, Rebecca De Mornay.  You could tell he was proud of her and missed her.  I don't think she was on speaking terms with him.  Kinda sad.

momopi said:

This brings back lots of memories.  My group was into Axis & Allies and we would sometimes have two 8-hour sessions per weekend, one on Saturday and one on Sunday.  Man, I wish I had that kind of free time again.  We occasionally played some D&D, although I was really into HeroQuest during my middle school years.

Moved into the Tustin Ranch/Irvine area in 1998 as a kid. Fast forward to late 2000's, I started getting into playing 2nd edition D&D w/ my high school friends. We only recently upgraded to 5th edition...

Back