Appliance recommendations. Fridge, washer and dryer.

jamesKirk

We've been shopping for a fridge and washer/dryer and have bounced around a lot as we've been getting different advice from a lot of people, resources, reviews etc.

We would like to buy from Costco since they give the extended warranty if you use their citi card. Return is also easier with them.

But they main sell LG and Samsung products for what we need. Counter depth fridge and front loading, gas stackable washer and dryer.

We've checked the models out in person at places like Pacific Sales, but are having pulling the trigger sicne we keep hearing horror stories about LG and especially Samsung with reliability and the eventual servicing. Contractors and owners have told us that it is sometimes ridiculously expensive to service their appliances and often have to wait a while as parts are not available.

I'm assuming a lot of owners in Irvine are purchasing these fairly expensive appliances and wondering what their experiences are and recommendations.

Were looking at the $2500ish fridges and $1800ish washer/dryer sets.

Pay for Consumer Reports and use their online tool to look at predicted reliability.

Honestly, for appliances, you either get a dud or you don't.  The nightmares all start when one of the few computer modules go out in the appliance now.  You used to be able to replace individual relays and things, now everything is wired back to one or two control modules are they're invariably expensive to replace.

If it's a new model replacement parts won't be available yet and it it's more than a few year old replacement parts will no longer be available really doesn't matter which manufacturer.

IMHO, one of the main issues with LG/Samsung is that they constantly make enhancement or new feature YOY. Just like buying a first year model car, it comes with more quality issues naturally. My Samsung washer lasted just one and a half year. Because of that, I lean more towards brand like Whirlpool that doesn't look as good on the exterior design, and their products usually go through a longer redesign cycle, and have less issues on average. 

If you really like LG/Samsung, one option may be getting home warranty insurance. But that doesn't minimize the problem of not able to use your appliance while it's getting repaired.

Last year I purchased LG counter depth Fridge, Washer & Dryer from Costco after much research. So far I am very pleased with the purchase - no issues! The LG fridge is especially good at preserving fruits/veggies relative to tge GE model that I had previously.

Irvinehomeseeker said:
Last year I purchased LG counter depth Fridge, Washer & Dryer from Costco after much research. So far I am very pleased with the purchase - no issues! The LG fridge is especially good at preserving fruits/veggies relative to tge GE model that I had previously.

Which ones did you go with?

jamesKirk said:
Irvinehomeseeker said:

Which ones did you go with?

nosuchreality said:
Pay for Consumer Reports and use their online tool to look at predicted reliability.

Honestly, for appliances, you either get a dud or you don't.  The nightmares all start when one of the few computer modules go out in the appliance now.  You used to be able to replace individual relays and things, now everything is wired back to one or two control modules are they're invariably expensive to replace.

If it's a new model replacement parts won't be available yet and it it's more than a few year old replacement parts will no longer be available really doesn't matter which manufacturer.

I got the 2019 buying guide for free online through the OCPL and LG are at the top for predicted reliability, Samsung next. That goes against what everyone says about those brands so it?s difficult to get accurate read on them.

We bought Whirlpool from Pacific Sales about 4 years ago, no issues with the fridge, washer, or dryer.

My jennair (whirlpool) appliances I bought from Pacific Sales all broke on the 5 year mark.
Mostly it was the motherboard going out.

1. Dishwasher - motherboard
2. Wall Oven - motherboard
3. Rangetop - ignition on 2 burners.

The repair guy told me everything breaks, so might as well go for the cheapest brand.

The sub-zero and wolf brands cost around $1000 to fix if anything ever breaks. 
Lifestyle creep is a bitch, much like Bugatti $20,000 oil changes.

Damn...hopefully mine last longer. 

zubs said:
My jennair (whirlpool) appliances I bought from Pacific Sales all broke on the 5 year mark.

The repair guy told me everything breaks, so might as well go for the cheapest brand.

Have any of you consider First American Home Warranty for homes major applicances repair and coverage?

Big ticket items like A/C is a big ouch.

Maybe we are just lucky, but our LG washer and dryer is 12 + years and still working.

Only issues with the front load is that the rubber gasket does get mildew build up and require cleaning

often, otherwise, it will stinks.

Compressed-Village said:
Have any of you consider First American Home Warranty for homes major applicances repair and coverage?

Big ticket items like A/C is a big ouch.

I?ve thought about it.

Do you have to purchase before you move in or can you do it anytime? I don?t think I?d need most coverage until at least a year in.

If you purchased new build then it will be a waste of money. New homes will have warranty by the builders and it is highly unlikely that anything applicances wise break down on you for awhile, several years. You can purchase any time, but I would not purchase the warranty without living in the home first at least for a year or so. This will give an idea what's working and what might go soon and make your investment to the plan more wisely.

I did several cross check and read the fine prints very closely before commit.

A/C units are not cheap as R22 will be phase out by January 1, 2020 and R22 is very expensive as times goes by. Because of the EPA mandate that R22 will be obsolete after the 1/1/2020, you have to either pay a very steep price for R22 to be refill or replace the unit altogether, which could run several thousands.

First American Home Warranty does include the freon refill with the warranty. Meaning that they have to refill for no additional 75 dollars service call or replace the unit if they can't fix it either by law or unavailable parts. Previously, I paid 550 bucks for the freon refill on a 5lbs refill. And with the refill it will be more likely that there is a leak exist and it will leak again. Just a matter of time.

nosuchreality said:
Honestly, for appliances, you either get a dud or you don't. 

I've come to the same conclusion.  Our 2014 Samsung fridge has been a nightmare.  The 3rd party extended warranty was a nightmare.  Now it's out of warranty and it ices up constantly.  Not a whole lot of value to a fridge that needs to be unplugged for 2 days every 3-6 months, but it's hard to pull the trigger and spend another $2k+ when you can crutch along on the pretty one that you assumed would last 20 years.  Aside from icing up, we've been happy with its functionality.  Our Samsung washer/dryer set is about 9 years old, and we've been very happy with them.  Only issue was a broken drum belt, which eventually happens with most dryers.  Easy fix.

We got Whirlpool appliances on sale from Lowe's with their extended warranty. Thanks for the info on R22, CV. We let our FA Home Warranty lapse, as it was over 500 or so for the policy.

We've had a pair of Maytag Neptunes (front loading washer) that lasted 14 years. Would probably still have them except the wife didn't want to pay to replace the gasket on the washer (aforementioned mildew issue) again. Those things went through 4 moves and never had an issue.

We got Sammies now because LG was too expensive (but heard LG has better reliability). They're nice but if were just me, I would not have spent so much on a washer/dryer.

zubs said:

Whirlpool sucks period.  My Whirlpool fridge broke down twice (the motherboard fried twice) so I moved on to a GE fridge and couldn't be happier.

Back