Author Topic: Tesla Solar Rental - No removal cost in Sept  (Read 1566 times)

jamesKirk, eyephone and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 60
  • -Received: 130
Re: Tesla Solar Rental - No removal cost in Sept
« Reply #15 on: September 16, 2019, 01:28:19 PM »
How does one calculate break even/ROI on this if its a solar rental?  Doesn't it make more sense to purchase or finance a system if you plan to stay in the home long term?  I'm trying to understand how a rental is better. 

Medium System of 7.6 is $1560/y (10 year rental) = $15600 (not taking into account any price increases)
To buy a 23 panels at 330 watts which is a 7.59 system at 2.60/watt = 19,737 (30% tax credit back) = 13,814 (this is probably using better materials than the Tesla rental too)

After your break even after 5/6 years average, it's all ROI, but you'd still be paying on a rental.

You are correct with your rental vs. purchase analysis.  The biggest factor is whether you stay in the house long enough to make it worth while.  That's usually a big unknown for something 5-7 years down the road.  For me, I can't get over that unknown so the question is whether I should do nothing or rent from Tesla.  Renting seems like it guarantees savings from day 1 without any huge capital outlay.

Another thought I had was whether I can really squeeze more benefit out of this program by pausing my Tesla solar rental subscription during the winter months when solar generation is at a low and reactivating it during spring.

Online eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 348
  • -Received: 599
« Reply #16 on: September 16, 2019, 02:10:42 PM »
Renting the panels with no strings attached might be a better option. But the potential monthly increase is also a factor.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2019, 02:36:39 PM by eyephone »

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 73
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2019, 09:16:16 AM »
Getting thrown into TOU before you're actually forced into it by SCE should also be factored in. With a smaller system and 41cents during 4-9pm during the summer is going to eat into any gains since the household will probably use more than what the system generates with AC usage.  Doubt a small system is going to generate much NET metering credit that one may get with a larger system.

Renting the panels with no strings attached might be a better option. But the potential monthly increase is also a factor.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2019, 11:35:52 AM »
Got the proposal today for a 3.78kw system.  Uses Solar Edge single phase inverter + power optimizers due the panels being installed on multiple areas of my roof.  Panels are Hanwha Q Cells.  Total expected generation is 6100 kWh annually.

Looks like I can also plug in an EV directly into the Solar Edge single phase inverter.  Saves me the cost of getting an EV plug installed.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2188
  • -Received: 3578
  • 3CWG
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2019, 11:52:49 AM »
Looks like I can also plug in an EV directly into the Solar Edge single phase inverter.  Saves me the cost of getting an EV plug installed.

This is a bonus. So would this pull from the grid at night?
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline akkord

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 73
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2019, 12:04:11 PM »
It'd pull from the grid since you're not generating anything from the panels at night.  Assuming no battery or credits.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2019, 12:29:22 PM »
I’ll just wait. Maybe a better deal?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 12:37:14 PM by eyephone »

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 63
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2019, 02:11:22 PM »

I looked into this and while it sounds attractive, for me it was impractical. My inverter is installed outside my house whereas I want to park my car inside the garage. I don't want to run a charging cable all the way around. Plus the only benefit of it is if you can charge during the daytime which most people work.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2019, 02:34:41 PM »

I looked into this and while it sounds attractive, for me it was impractical. My inverter is installed outside my house whereas I want to park my car inside the garage. I don't want to run a charging cable all the way around. Plus the only benefit of it is if you can charge during the daytime which most people work.

Any particular reason why you installed the inverter outside your house vs. inside? 

Also with a TOU plan, it's always better to charge during non-peak hours.  With net metering all that matters is when you are using the electricity.  The generation is separate and doesn't matter if you use it at the same time or if you send it back to the grid.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2019, 03:04:53 PM »
Also with a TOU plan, it's always better to charge during non-peak hours.  With net metering all that matters is when you are using the electricity.  The generation is separate and doesn't matter if you use it at the same time or if you send it back to the grid.

That's what I thought.

If you generate X Kw per day, you should be able to use close to X Kw at night right? Or else you would really need the Tesla Powerwall.
I recommend:

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2019, 03:22:29 PM »
Got the proposal today for a 3.78kw system.  Uses Solar Edge single phase inverter + power optimizers due the panels being installed on multiple areas of my roof.  Panels are Hanwha Q Cells.  Total expected generation is 6100 kWh annually.

Got an update from the Tesla sales rep stating that the Solar Edge inverter they install does NOT come with an optional EV charging port.  Let's see what actually shows up at my house.

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #26 on: September 17, 2019, 03:23:37 PM »

That's what I thought.

If you generate X Kw per day, you should be able to use close to X Kw at night right? Or else you would really need the Tesla Powerwall.

I think it's better to view it as a house generating X dollar amount and then it's up to you on how you want to use it.  Burn through the $ during the day or get 3x the value during the night.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2019, 03:38:46 PM »

That's what I thought.

Battery is the way to go
« Last Edit: September 17, 2019, 03:54:31 PM by eyephone »

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 63
« Reply #28 on: September 18, 2019, 11:59:39 AM »

Any particular reason why you installed the inverter outside your house vs. inside? 

The advantage is that you have less energy loss conversion from DC to AC etc if you charge directly from the inverter. So you gain some efficiencies so it does make a difference.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #29 on: September 18, 2019, 12:52:48 PM »
Hmm... I actually never broke down the math with net metering using the TOU exchange rate (but someone says I'm bad at math anyways).

For example (hypothetical numbers), I generate 10kW during the day and the rate is $0.40/kW so I create $4 credit? And at night, if I use 10kW and the rate is $0.20/kW, I only use up $2 of that credit?

Hmm... makes buying seem better. Are there restrictions to the credits? I know you guys mentioned that these plans change all the time but can SCE change the exchange rate?

EDIT: Stuff I read on SCE says they just use kWH generated/consumed... but does mention TOU. Confused.
I recommend:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts