Author Topic: New iPhone 11 for 2019  (Read 728 times)

Offline bones

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 195
  • -Received: 1090
Re: New iPhone 11 for 2019
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2019, 09:17:30 AM »
Verizon was offering $250 off an XR last week.  Coupled with a later model trade in, the cost isn't too bad.
I had to upgrade from a 7 to get a better camera.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 342
  • -Received: 591
« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2019, 09:38:31 AM »
Pass for now

[wait for deal]

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2150
  • -Received: 3570
  • 3CWG
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2019, 10:19:28 AM »
I still don't like the app closing/app switching gestures on the X iPhones... so non-intuitive.

What do you think would be the intuitive way?  It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's second nature.

First, they shouldn't have used something close to an already existing gesture (swipe up for control center on pre-X iPhones) to close an app.

Second, UI/UX design should not require a pause to active a gesture unless that's the actual gesture.

Third, it now takes more time to close or app switch with the new gesture. Pressing, pausing and moving your thumb is more "steps" than just pressing the home button.

They could have implemented a virtual home button like how Android did or used lower edge/corner swipes instead of pausing for the line close bar.

I know people get used to it but I don't think it was well thought out considering the core gesture of your app navigation had been in existence for over 10 years.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 59
  • -Received: 130
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2019, 11:42:04 AM »
I still don't like the app closing/app switching gestures on the X iPhones... so non-intuitive.

What do you think would be the intuitive way?  It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's second nature.

First, they shouldn't have used something close to an already existing gesture (swipe up for control center on pre-X iPhones) to close an app.

Second, UI/UX design should not require a pause to active a gesture unless that's the actual gesture.

Third, it now takes more time to close or app switch with the new gesture. Pressing, pausing and moving your thumb is more "steps" than just pressing the home button.

They could have implemented a virtual home button like how Android did or used lower edge/corner swipes instead of pausing for the line close bar.

I know people get used to it but I don't think it was well thought out considering the core gesture of your app navigation had been in existence for over 10 years.

I have the Xs and 8 and find the Xs much more intuitive.  Now when I use my 8, it feels a bit slower when closing apps or switching.  It's all personal preference, but I can guarantee that it was very well thought of from Apple. 

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 383
  • -Received: 319
« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2019, 11:48:50 AM »
Bring back the clickwheel. The thumb is the only input device I need.

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 650
  • -Received: 939
  • Mmmm....people.....
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2019, 12:35:24 PM »
Soylent Red, Yellow, and Blue have iPhone 6 and 7 re$pectively, $o it look$ like it$ time for an upgrade. Is an 11 "worth it" compared to a 10? So far I'm not seeing the big reason to go to 11.

I've read that the 5 and 6 are no longer supported by Apple with software updates, but the 5SE is. Odd IMHO.

Full disclosure: I've never had an Apple product and am not wanting to join the hive mindset St. Steven of Cupertino has created. Someone in the family should be an outlier. May as well be me.  For years I've used Samsung phones, specifically the Note line. The Note 10 price and feature benefit was a downer so I ditched Samsung (and their bloatware). I figure since Google is always tracking me anyway I joined their Cult with a Pixel 3aXL. Surprisingly well made device and so far no issues. Nice to have software updates easily flowing through for the next 3-5 years at least.

My .02c
« Last Edit: September 10, 2019, 03:25:04 PM by Soylent Green Is People »

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 62
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2019, 01:34:22 PM »
There was nothing that wow'd me about the iPhone 11 Pro line. I do think the 11 price point is pretty good though if you are a few generations back on the iPhone.

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 644
  • -Received: 367
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2019, 02:18:07 PM »
Soylent Red, Yellow, and Blue have iPhone 6 and 7 re$pectively, $o it look$ like it$ time for an upgrade. Is an 11 "worth it" compared to a 10? So far I'm not seeing the big reason to go to 11.
I've read that the 5 and 6 are no longer supported by Apple with software updates, but the 5SE is. Odd IMHO.

The iPhone SE (and iPhone 6S) are supported by iOS 13 because they use A9 CPU and has 2 GB RAM.

Earlier iPhone 5S with A7 CPU and iPhone 6 with A8 CPU only has 1 GB RAM and is supported up to iOS 12, but not iOS 13.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2150
  • -Received: 3570
  • 3CWG
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2019, 02:43:35 PM »
There was nothing that wow'd me about the iPhone 11 Pro line. I do think the 11 price point is pretty good though if you are a few generations back on the iPhone.

Yeah, the 11 is probably the best deal, esp over the XR for the camera bump. The 8 Plus is also good if you prefer the home button. :)

The new iPad is a pretty good entry model with the larger screen.

Not sure if the Watch 5 is all that much better than Watch 4.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 62
« Reply #24 on: September 11, 2019, 09:18:16 AM »
New iPad is the same chip as previous generation. They just added keyboard and stylus compatibility. Pass on that too unless you don't already own an iPad and are shopping one.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2019, 09:26:42 AM »
New iPad is the same chip as previous generation. They just added keyboard and stylus compatibility. Pass on that too unless you don't already own an iPad and are shopping one.

Where’s the Innovation?

Offline Kings

• Thanks
  • -Given: 262
  • -Received: 249
« Reply #26 on: September 11, 2019, 03:05:05 PM »
this article might be better suited for the snowflake thread  ;)

The camera on Apple's new iPhone 11 is triggering trypophobes — people who are disgusted by clustered holes

When Apple announced the new iPhone 11 on Tuesday, the trypophobic corner of the internet collectively cringed.

Trypophobia, a fear of clustered holes, affects 15% of the population, according to a 2013 study.

The iPhone 11 has two cameras stacked atop one another, and the iPhone 11 Pro and Pro Max both sport three cameras, arranged in a triangle. As soon as the new iPhones were revealed on Tuesday, a flood of tweets poured forth remarking on the design's potential to unnerve trypophobes, as people affected by trypophobia are known.

It's not clear if these tweets indicate that the iPhone 11 is genuinely triggering people with trypophobia, or are simply a reflection of all the hyperbole and jokes in the Twitter echo chamber. Whatever the case, the iPhone 11 trypophobia connection is now a meme that's gaining currency.

https://www.businessinsider.com/trypophobes-hate-the-iphone-11-pro-3-cameras-holes-trypophobia-2019-9

Offline Soylent Green Is People

• Abiding Dude. Housing focused
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 650
  • -Received: 939
  • Mmmm....people.....
« Reply #27 on: September 11, 2019, 03:29:09 PM »
If Apple wanted to corner this market, they'd sell these 3 eyed wonders with a Companion Animal to comfort these poor souls.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: September 11, 2019, 03:55:27 PM »
Comeon. Popeyes chicken sandwich that is currently soldout seems like there is a greater demand.

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 387
  • -Received: 584
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2019, 01:03:23 AM »
Not impressed with the 11 or watch 5. I’m going to stick with my overpriced X and  watch 3. Maybe next year I’ll upgrade both.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts