New iPhone 11 for 2019

iacrenter

Anyone getting a new iPhone this year? I'm still holding on to my X for one more year. 2020 should have a 5G radio, new form factor, possible under the screen touch ID, and improved AR camera with Time of Flight sensors for 3D mapping.

Apple will be announcing their new iPhone 11 tomorrow @ 10 am PT.

Here is a link to the youtube live stream:

https://youtu.be/996wliAI_y4

Here are the latest rumors for the iPhone 11:
https://www.cnet.com/news/iphone-11-11-pro-11r-and-11-max-price-specs-features-we-expect-tuesday/

Not until they bring back the Home button. :)

In-screen TouchID may get me to get a iPhone 11s or 12 or whatever they are calling it in 2020. FaceID was a horrible idea.

I'm still on my iPhone 6.

I'm about ready for an upgrade as iOS updates break things left and right and then I spend weeks correcting all the enhancements.  Still need to figure out how to disable continuous spy-mapping without disabling all location services.  ( I don't need my parked car location updated when I pull into the doctors office, or it to tell me how long my commute home will take.)

Still using my Iphone 6 plus.  My only regret is not waiting for the 6S plus due to better camera and 4k video recording capability.

The 6/6+ is not supported by iOS 13, and you need to disable some features for better performance.  But it still runs fine.

I do not plan on upgrading for couple more years.

momopi said:
Still using my Iphone 6 plus.  My only regret is not waiting for the 6S plus due to better camera and 4k video recording capability.

The 6/6+ is not supported by iOS 13, and you need to disable some features for better performance.  But it still runs fine.

Please share.  I've disabled peak performance battery management.  Trying not to disable too much else, but I can turn off lots of background I'm sure, like spymode.

I?m on the Apple program that allows you to trade in every year, which ensures you have an iPhone payment for life :-(

I got the xs last year and said I was not trading it in 2019 and was going to wait till 2020. Then I said to myself. My phone will paid off in September of 2020 only to get the 2020 iPhone and start the two year payment cycle again. So I just talked myself into getting the 11. I guess the downside is I could sell the xs in September of 2020, though not sure how much they would be fetching then. I had the X and the XS didnt really upgrade my much and now the 11 will get better cameras and faster processor?  Not sure I need either of those things. But Apple keeps taking my money :-(

nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

Please share.  I've disabled peak performance battery management.  Trying not to disable too much else, but I can turn off lots of background I'm sure, like spymode.

Have you went into apple to get a new battery?
I believe it's $29.  With a new battery performance should be tiny bit better as well as less charging
if you go battery health and it's less than 75% probably should change a new battery

SoclosetoIrvine said:
nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

I believe it's $29.  With a new battery performance should be tiny bit better as well as less charging
if you go battery health and it's less than 75% probably should change a new battery

I'm at 87%.

Battery life has been down lately but I chalk that up to last upgrade and more things like location updating background all the time.

Last update I had to rebuild from wipe because wifi has been problematic since prior update. Wipe and rebuild has improved but still occasionally poor.

Downside, rebuild seems to have turned lots of stuff back on.

So phone is fine but battery life a little shorter and wifi signal occasionally poor.

nosuchreality said:
SoclosetoIrvine said:
nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

I'm at 87%.

Battery life has been down lately but I chalk that up to last upgrade and more things like location updating background all the time.

Last update I had to rebuild from wipe because wifi has been problematic since prior update. Wipe and rebuild has improved but still occasionally poor.

Downside, rebuild seems to have turned lots of stuff back on.

So phone is fine but battery life a little shorter and wifi signal occasionally poor.

I had a iphone 7 for 2+ years
recently used the iphone trade in program, they gave me $200 for my iphone 7
got the 64gb iphone xr.. best decision this year
battery life is insane... usually still above 60% after a day of work and movie streaming

The difference isn't too bad when you trade in

Sold my iPhone 6S 64GB for $165, bought a used iPhone 7 256GB for $225 earlier this year, best $60 upgrade. It should hold me off until 2020, my wife has upgraded 2x since I've had the 6S. The only thing I'd 'want,' not need, right now is a better camera since everything else works fine.

More checking lastnight.  Settings > Location Services >

Phone Analytics. Turn back to off
Popular near me. Back to off
Routing and traffic.  Back to off

Significant locations. Back to off.  Check history, sheesh. Busy little snoop.

Gotta love the purple arrows highlighting how active its been.

Location based ads turn off
L.B suggestions turn off.

Location based alerts. Another misnomer.  Back to off.

And Cell NetworkSearch back to off another misnomer that sends location info to apple for marketing not about improvingnlocationnon my phone.

irvinehomeowner said:
I still don't like the app closing/app switching gestures on the X iPhones... so non-intuitive.

What do you think would be the intuitive way?  It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's second nature.

nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

There are numerous posts on the web on how to improve performance.  You can try them and see if they work for you.  I've disabled features like automatic app updates, background app refresh, transparency and motion effects, etc.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ways-to-speed-up-ios-11-on-older-iphones/

momopi said:
nosuchreality said:
momopi said:

There are numerous posts on the web on how to improve performance.  You can try them and see if they work for you.  I've disabled features like automatic app updates, background app refresh, transparency and motion effects, etc.
https://www.cnet.com/how-to/ways-to-speed-up-ios-11-on-older-iphones/

Yea, I've checked those before most are pretty useless beyond turn off automagic with the first recommendation usually being update your OS.  :(

Transparency, background refresh, etc, I've done long ago.  Still need to recheck though as Apple is getting more pervasive with changing settings on updates.

Verizon was offering $250 off an XR last week.  Coupled with a later model trade in, the cost isn't too bad.
I had to upgrade from a 7 to get a better camera.

woodburyowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:
I still don't like the app closing/app switching gestures on the X iPhones... so non-intuitive.

What do you think would be the intuitive way?  It took me a few days to get used to it, but now it's second nature.

First, they shouldn't have used something close to an already existing gesture (swipe up for control center on pre-X iPhones) to close an app.

Second, UI/UX design should not require a pause to active a gesture unless that's the actual gesture.

Third, it now takes more time to close or app switch with the new gesture. Pressing, pausing and moving your thumb is more "steps" than just pressing the home button.

They could have implemented a virtual home button like how Android did or used lower edge/corner swipes instead of pausing for the line close bar.

I know people get used to it but I don't think it was well thought out considering the core gesture of your app navigation had been in existence for over 10 years.

irvinehomeowner said:
woodburyowner said:
irvinehomeowner said:

First, they shouldn't have used something close to an already existing gesture (swipe up for control center on pre-X iPhones) to close an app.

Second, UI/UX design should not require a pause to active a gesture unless that's the actual gesture.

Third, it now takes more time to close or app switch with the new gesture. Pressing, pausing and moving your thumb is more "steps" than just pressing the home button.

They could have implemented a virtual home button like how Android did or used lower edge/corner swipes instead of pausing for the line close bar.

I know people get used to it but I don't think it was well thought out considering the core gesture of your app navigation had been in existence for over 10 years.

I have the Xs and 8 and find the Xs much more intuitive.  Now when I use my 8, it feels a bit slower when closing apps or switching.  It's all personal preference, but I can guarantee that it was very well thought of from Apple. 

Back