USC in the crosshairs

nosuchreality

https://www.latimes.com/california/...-consider-admissions-of-children-records-show

[Quote author=LATimes]

In court filings, the attorney, Martin Weinberg, has argued that far from amounting to a crime, the steps Zangrillo took were squarely in line with how USC handles admissions for VIP families.

Weinberg subpoenaed USC for information on all students the university has flagged in recent years as being what the school labels ?special interest? and the donations given by their families. USC is fighting the subpoena, calling it in court filings a ?fishing expedition? that goes far beyond the scope of Zangrillo?s case. In turn, Weinberg filed the emails on Tuesday, in hopes that they persuade a judge to order USC to comply with his demand for records.

If turned over, Weinberg wrote in a court filing, the records would ?prove the existence of a university-wide program at USC ... where past donations, pledges of future donations, or expectation of future donations based on the university?s belief in a parent?s resources deeply affects the chances for a prospective student?s admission as does a variety of factors other than just grades and test scores, including recommendations on the prospective student?s behalf by persons of power, wealth, or position in the USC community, past or present.?

[/quote]

zubs said:
Harvard does this...as all universities.
Water is wet.

Yes they do.  An oddball flunky legacy admit or namesake admit of the child of the people donating a $100 million arts building and trust is a world difference from the spreadsheet tracking of $25,000 payola and amphorous donors for preferential treatment.

I find it an ingenious defense putting blame were it really belongs, the schools.  His defense is he's on trial for using valet parking, while it is clear that the school offers valet parking.

I didn't donate to my universities alumni association.  Not one penny, so they are probably going to blacklist my kids.  Oh well fuck em.

Back