Year round elementary schools

aziwoqpd

Hi,
Just wondering if anyone has any experience with the year round schools in Irvine. We are zoned for Beacon Park school, which isn't year round, but the flexibility of year round would be pretty helpful.

I heard woodbury is totally full and doesn't accept transfers. And I heard Plaza Vista has a wait list for transfers and that even if you get in, they can (and have?) kick you out later if someone zoned to the school needs a spot.

Are the other two schools pretty full too? I think it's Westpark and Vista Verde?

Year round school is great because you can take vacations with your family at highly discounted times..
Example: end of AUG and SEP travel is cheap.

Year round should be expanded, but can only happen if parents show an interest at the IUSD meetings. It is great for the continuity of learning. High school sports would be affected, but would adjust in time.

I think there are pros and cons. I have not experienced year round schools myself but I would imagine having to find child care 3-4 times a year as opposed to 1 time during summer would be a detractor.

Its kind of annoying for signing up for summer camps/programs.

I make sure my kids don't experience summer brain drain anyway--for me, summer is the time to learn different things/enrichment, etc that they don't have time for during the school year.

Finding child care for short intervals is difficult for two parent working families.

If you have two or more kids and only one of them is on a year round schedule, (e.g. one year round elementary school, and another in middle school or high school) it can be difficult to coordinate vacation schedules for the whole family.

The prospect of one or two cheaper vacations per year is not worth it to me. Just my 2 cents.

Hi!

This will be our second year at Woodbury elementary. My husband and I both work full-time, so yes the year round schedule works great for us. The year round schools in Irvine all have on-site child care (run by Child Development Centers, Rainbow Rising, etc) and if you purchase the all-inclusive package, then they have camps and all-day care available during all school breaks and all summer. Those centers can fill-up quickly too, so make sure to get on the waitlist early. I agree it will get a little more challenging when my oldest moves on to middle school (she'll go to Jeffrey Trail, which is a traditional calendar) while my youngest will be at Woodbury. But--the schedules will overlap for most of June through mid-July, so there will be at least a month where a family vacation will be possible.

I'm not sure about how easy it is to get into these year round schools, so can't speak to that. Definitely try reaching out to IUSD to see what they have to say.

Good luck!

Back