NBA 19-20

irvinehomeowner

This is probably going to be one of the best seasons in recent history with stars scattered to different places... unless there is too much "load management".

Interesting how Clippers/Lakers open the season (although PG13 may not play) and are also a Christmas day game (the real start of the season).

So we have:

West

LBJ/AD
Kawhi/PG13
Beard/Russ
McCollum/Lilliard
Jokic/???
Mitchell/Gobert(?)
Steph/DLo/Draymond
CP3/Aquaman
Zion/Young Ex-Lakers

East

Ben/Embiid/Horford/Tobias/JRich
Giannis/Bucks :)
Kyrie/NO KD
Butler/nobody
Boston young guys
Kawhi-less Toronto (Lowry/Siakam?)

East looks bad except for Philly to me.

I want to see how Harden/Westbrook works out and the DLo/Steph combo plays out.

Are the Spurs done? Pop seems to be able to get to the playoffs with nobody (kind of like Doc) so they may never get a lottery pick again.

Adam Silver Defends Free Speech as China Pulls NBA?s Games From CCTV
Amidst the fallout in China from Rockets general manager Daryl Morey?s pro-Hong Kong tweet Friday night, NBA commissioner Adam Silver is defending the league executive?s right to free speech.

Speaking Tuesday at a news conference in Tokyo before a preseason game between the Rockets and Raptors, Silver said the NBA was ?apologetic? Chinese officials and fans were upset by the tweet but stood by Morey?s right to express himself.

?Daryl Morey, as general manager of the Houston Rockets, enjoys that right as one of our employees,? Silver said. ?What I also tried to suggest is that I understand there are consequences from his freedom of speech and we will have to live with those consequences.?

In the wake of Morey?s since-deleted tweet and the NBA?s response, China?s state-run CCTV network has announced it will not be showing a pair of upcoming preseason games between the Lakers and Nets which are set to take place in China this week.

?We?re strongly dissatisfied and oppose Adam Silver?s claim to support Morey?s right to freedom of expression,? CCTV said in a statement. ?We believe that any remarks that challenge national sovereignty and social stability are not within the scope of freedom of speech.?

While Silver is defending the Houston GM, his player, All-Star guard James Harden, is not.

With Russell Westbrook by his side, Harden voiced his support for China and offered an apology for his GM?s tweet. ?We apologize. You know, we love China. We love playing there,? Harden said. ?For both of us individually, we go there once or twice a year. They show us the most important love.?

It will be interesting to see if LeBron James, who has spoken out about a number of free-speech related issues in the U.S. but also has significant financial ties to China thanks to Nike, will weigh in on the matter.

Given the developing situation, there is some concern the Lakers/Nets games will be canceled outright instead of just being pulled from CCTV.
https://www.insidehook.com/daily_br...ee-speech-as-china-pulls-nbas-games-from-cctv

qwerty said:
?We oppose freedom of expression?

Sounds insane.

I give credit to Silver for taking a stand here.  You can't support some free speech (against police brutality for example) and not others (within reason of course).  Harden, Westbrook, and any other players kissing China's butt look bad, IMO.

Agreed - the whole point of free speech is to protect uncommon viewpoints - especially the ones that you may not necessarily agree with.

I guess some countries just don't know what human rights are ::)

Liar Loan said:
qwerty said:
?We oppose freedom of expression?

Sounds insane.

I give credit to Silver for taking a stand here.  You can't support some free speech (against police brutality for example) and not others (within reason of course).  Harden, Westbrook, and any other players kissing China's butt look bad, IMO.

Because all they care about are the $$$ that the Chinese market can generate them.  Bunch of hypocrites and sell outs.

Where is Irvinecommuter ?

He was crapping on the Lakers while touting his Warriors dynasty just a few months ago.

>:D

nba in america: move the all star game because of gender neutral bathrooms, f trump, remove donald sterling

nba in china: i'll just shut up and dribble

Kings said:
eyephone said:
It?s okay if Timmy does it? (Silence)

timmy doesn't bad mouth his own country

Hold up
So Apple took down the app and catered to China.
But the GM briefly mentioned Hk.

Your spinning this around. How about not bowing down to China?

CNBC article: NBA should not be an ?arm of Chinese censorship? by bowing to pressure, says GOP Texas Sen. Ted Cruz
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/09/nba...-of-chinese-censorship-says-sen-ted-cruz.html

More senators say the same thinghttps://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/07/sen...ding-to-china-over-morey-hong-kong-tweet.html

"shut up and dribble" is the new motto of the nba

NBA in China: League cancels media availability as it closes out disastrous preseason trip

For several days, the NBA's stars and coaches have appeared uncomfortable, unwilling or unable to discuss the pro-democracy protests in Hong Kong and China's mainland human rights abuses. The league's solution? Shutting down discussion altogether.

The league announced Friday it will not hold any media availability for the rest of its Chinese jaunt, a day after Beijing prohibited any kind of news conference before or after a preseason exhibition game between the Los Angeles Lakers and the Brooklyn Nets.

?We have decided not to hold media availability for our teams for the remainder of our trip in China,? the league said in a statement. ?They have been placed into a complicated and unprecedented situation while abroad and we believe it would be unfair to ask them to address these matters in real-time.?

https://www.foxnews.com/sports/nba-china-cancels-media-availability-preseason-trip

eyephone said:
Kings said:
eyephone said:
It?s okay if Timmy does it? (Silence)

timmy doesn't bad mouth his own country

Hold up
So Apple took down the app and catered to China.
But the GM briefly mentioned Hk.

Your spinning this around. How about not bowing down to China?

CNBC article: NBA should not be an ?arm of Chinese censorship? by bowing to pressure, says GOP Texas Sen. Ted Cruz
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/09/nba...-of-chinese-censorship-says-sen-ted-cruz.html

More senators say the same thinghttps://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/07/sen...ding-to-china-over-morey-hong-kong-tweet.html

how about addressing my comment - none of those companies spoke negatively about the united states like the nba did

your new nickname is "deflection guy"

The black athletes are standing up for their fellow black people.

Race definitely plays a part. The black athletes are less concerned (if at all) about Asians on the other side of the world.

just about the worst thing he could have said.  "believe in something, even if it means being owned by china for everything"

LeBron James: Daryl Morey was 'misinformed' before sending tweet about China and Hong Kong

LOS ANGELES -- LeBron James believes Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey "wasn't educated" before he sent the tweet in support of antigovernment protesters in Hong Kong that damaged relations between China and the NBA.

Speaking to the media for the first time since Morey's tweet on Oct. 4 set off a firestorm, James declined to comment about the politically tense situation between China and the NBA but did talk about Morey's tweet and how it has jeopardized the relationship between China and the league, owners, teams and players.

"I don't want to get into a [verbal] feud with Daryl Morey, but I believe he wasn't educated on the situation at hand, and he spoke," James said before the Los Angeles Lakers played the Golden State Warriors in a preseason game at Staples Center. "And so many people could have been harmed not only financially, physically, emotionally, spiritually. So just be careful what we tweet and say and we do, even though, yes, we do have freedom of speech, but there can be a lot of negative that comes with that, too."

When asked why he thinks Morey wasn't properly informed about the unrest in Hong Kong before he tweeted support for protesters, James said it is "just my belief."

"I believe he was either misinformed or not really educated on the situation, and if he was, then so be it," James said. "I have no idea, but that is just my belief. Because when you say things or do things, if you are doing it and you know the people that can be affected by it and the families and individuals and everyone that can be affected by it, sometimes things can be changed as well. And also social media is not always the proper way to go about things as well, but that's just my belief."

https://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/27847951/daryl-morey-was-misinformed-sending-tweet-china-hong-kong

A guy who graduated from northwestern and MIT MBA, gm for a nba team, co-chairperson of MIT sports analytics conference is ?misinformed?...

Back