Solar mandate

jelloe

We signed papers for a home in PS in June of this year and were told we had to select either leasing or buying our solar options.  We decided to buy instead of lease because we thought the solar mandate was for 2019.  When we had our solar consultation yesterday, I realized that the solar mandate for CA doesn't go into effect until Jan 1, 2020.  I feel misled by KB. Our home is due to be done by Nov 2019.  When I called the sales office they told us that all phase 9 and 10 were told to select solar options because the date was too close to 2020.  I don't understand why I should be forced to buy solar from the builder if it's not 2020 yet and talking to the foreman he says there is no way they will be late in finishing the home because they're on a strict schedule.  I'm refusing to sign the "intent to buy" solar from sunpower at this time and am asking for some paperwork from KB that says I have to buy the solar panels even though it's not 2020 yet.  Not sure why this wasn't included in the price of the home if it was mandatory. Any advice on how to move forward with this or am I stuck in buying this option?

Not sure. This is a new thing regarding the solar mandate. Also, I don?t want to say anything that will jeopardize your home.

Did they give you a good deal for solar?
(If it?s a good deal then you should get it. It?s all about the bargain.)

Searched my email, out builders option 3 years ago for 4kw was around $19k range before tax credit, it?s significantly cheaper buying outside

AW said:
Searched my email, out builders option 3 years ago for 4kw was around $19k range before tax credit, it?s significantly cheaper buying outside

If that?s the case. I would bring it up.

Not a good deal, they are probably using 'cheaper' made in China panels and a string inverter too.  Panasonic 330W and Enphase i7s micro inverters are priced at 2.60/watt before tax credit.  I've provided the installer info to multiple people on the forums and some friends.  You can definitely get less than 2.60/watt using offbrands if you choose to go that route, which i would not recommend. 

Good luck getting out of the solar contract if you've already signed, I've seen people cancel contract on a new home, but not out of something the builder has probably already ordered. 

I?m taking a guess of the business deal structure re: op situation.
The solar company makes money and the builder get?s a slice of the pie.

It's not a question of if I'm getting a good deal or not.  I already knew I was never going to get a good deal from the builder.  The problem is they are forcing me to either lease or buy this upgrade.  Can they do that if the solar mandate doesn't take into effect until Jan 1, 2020?  BTW, I think the panels are sunpower  X21-335-BLK.

Zubs who did you get your panels from?

I'm on the same boat.... My solar consultation is scheduled for tomorrow, 17k for a 4KW system. Not only the price is high, they won't even let me upgrade to a bigger one :mad:

FCB that's a better deal than I'm getting. ;) When is your home scheduled to be complete?  Is it in 2019 ro 2020?

Everyone is using Panasonic 330W/panel these days with enphase microinverter.

There is a Chinese company from Shanghai offering a 385 W/panel.  They were 20% cheaper. (https://www.talesun-eu.com/home/?L=0)

But I went with Panasonic.

It would be best if they didn't put solar on your roof, and you just went out and got it yourself.  It's like those people who pick all the basic no upgrade stuff for their new house, and then rip it up to put in their own flooring.

zubs said:
Everyone is using Panasonic 330W/panel these days with enphase microinverter.

There is a Chinese company from Shanghai offering a 385 W/panel.  They were 20% cheaper. (https://www.talesun-eu.com/home/?L=0)

But I went with Panasonic.

It would be best if they didn't put solar on your roof, and you just went out and got it yourself.  It's like those people who pick all the basic no upgrade stuff for their new house, and then rip it up to put in their own flooring.

Right like I mentioned in the other thread about solar. Having solar panels on a home, for my needs, would be a detractor because I would likely be overpaying for a system that isn't the right size for me. I would much rather have a blank pallet and put on the panels I need at likely a lower cost per watt.

A 4kW system is only going to make about 5,700 KwH/year. 
I suspect most people use more than that.

I used 9,300 kwH in 2018...but I have a pool pump running every day, and I was rationing the shit out of my AC.

Who the hell gets solar and then have to ration their AC?!?!!?

zubs said:

I used 9,300 kwH in 2018...but I have a pool pump running every day, and I was rationing the shit out of my AC.

1,425 kWh/kWp is very low for socal.  i would suspect the system you're referencing/have been quoted is being installed on roofs that are not optimal for solar.  you should expect closer to 1,600 kWh/kWp for an optimally installed system on south-facing rooftops.

jelloe said:
FCB that's a better deal than I'm getting. ;) When is your home scheduled to be complete?  Is it in 2019 ro 2020?

Nov 2019. So almost the same time as yours. Builder is TRI Pointe though.

Do you guys like paying $15-20k upfront for your electricity at a home you might move out before using all those paid money? 

Kings said:
zubs said:

1,425 kWh/kWp is very low for socal.  i would suspect the system you're referencing/have been quoted is being installed on roofs that are not optimal for solar.  you should expect closer to 1,600 kWh/kWp for an optimally installed system on south-facing rooftops.

My electrical generation numbers are low, but the pt still stands.  Even if you make 6,400 KwH with a 4k array, it is not enough.

So the finished build date just has to be after Jan 1 for this to be forced. We?ll have to ask about this because we were not told about this when asking for price quotes on homes due to be finished by December. Maybe they are that confident they won?t get pushed into 2020?

Back