Cox vs Uverse internet service 2019

TCT

Saw the old thread about this, but thought I shouldn?t bump it since there was a warning advising to make a new thread.

If I move to Irvine I?ll have to change Internet service providers from Time Warner to either Cox or Uverse.

Time Warner has been ok for us, maybe a couple times a month we need to reset our modem, but when it?s working it?s pretty good. $40 for up to 50 mbps is the plan without data cap and we usually get more around 60-65 mbps.

We do not have cable and stream/download everything. Hulu, Amazon, Netflix, etc. Time Warner doesn?t have a cap on our plan, but our router has a log that shows up/down data totals and we?ve never gotten that close to 1TB, but video streaming takes more data than ever with a lot of content now in 4K, albeit compressed.

As of 2019 which company would you go with an which plan do you think is the best value?

ATT Uverse, I hated Cox, speeds were all over the place, prices kept going up each year.  I've been on ATT and after each year they lower my bill for the same service.  I just spoke with them recently about my dad's bill (not in this area) and they lowered it by $25, that's about 17.5% decrease. 

I haven't had any complaints, if you're a power user you could also bypass their gateway, but I've wired up most of my TVs and my desktop and haven't made the move to get my own Ubiquiti setup.  I get about 950/950 up/down on their gigabit service using their gateway.  My iphone gets 300/300 at 5ghz and drops as you get further from the router, I do have an Airtie at the furthest point in the house and get ~125/125 or so on my iphone there. 

There are neighborhoods that get AT&T Fiber or Google Fiber (mostly Orchard Hills I think) down in Irvine...

Love the service from Cox, hate their pricing. After the honeymoon period is over, they jack up the prices really fast. They are counting on you to be lazy and not switch. You need phone, internet, and cable to get the best pricing. The phone is a $30 gift I give them each month but they don?t charge me $11 per month for the phone/internet rental.

I have my own Linksys router. Last year, I asked nicely for a loyal customer discount and the gave me $20 and slowly increased the rates back up $18 in 4 months.

Yesterday, it was time to re-negotiate and I was rude and demanding, I called them out for the $20 bs and said I own AT&T stock so I am now very motivated to switch to u-verse. They applied a coupon to my account and moved me to another internet package with the same speed but different name. I asked them to do the same for the cable.

The savings will be $51 per month for the next 2 years and the price is locked too.

$1200 savings for 10 minutes of awkwardness and work.

We?d only want internet service.

You are right that Cox seems expensive compared to ATT.

Would signing up for the gigablast with 24 months of discount be a bad idea? Do they randomly raise rates during that period as well?

I?d be fine trying Cox and then changing to ATT or threatening to in 2 years.

ATT Fiber for 1000 up/down is ~70 / month or lower depending on what promo they have going, free install, free gateway.  Not sure what Cox is offering, but I never got max speed on Cox vs ATT I do. 

How much do you a pay a month and what service do you get?  That way others can see what ppl are paying and what they are getting.

I pay $126 all in for U200, their largest available DVR that can record multiple shows at the same time, a wireless receiver for upstairs, and their highest internet plan. My parents pay about $118 for the same service. 

lilgophee said:
Love the service from Cox, hate their pricing. After the honeymoon period is over, they jack up the prices really fast. They are counting on you to be lazy and not switch. You need phone, internet, and cable to get the best pricing. The phone is a $30 gift I give them each month but they don?t charge me $11 per month for the phone/internet rental.

I have my own Linksys router. Last year, I asked nicely for a loyal customer discount and the gave me $20 and slowly increased the rates back up $18 in 4 months.

Yesterday, it was time to re-negotiate and I was rude and demanding, I called them out for the $20 bs and said I own AT&T stock so I am now very motivated to switch to u-verse. They applied a coupon to my account and moved me to another internet package with the same speed but different name. I asked them to do the same for the cable.

The savings will be $51 per month for the next 2 years and the price is locked too.

I never thought I'd miss Time Warner. ATTs and Cox's pricing is so much higher for similar speeds. I'm mostly concerned about the actual price, not the 12 month initial price since were going to be there a while. I guess we could go with one, then switch to the other if they don't offer us a good retention offer. Then we would be extending the initial discount by an extra year.

Time Warner didn't have gigabit speeds when I was on it years ago and their pricing was higher that what we're currently paying.  What's Time Warner's price for gigabit speed?  My post above has stated what happened after a year. 

TCT said:
I never thought I'd miss Time Warner. ATTs and Cox's pricing is so much higher for similar speeds. I'm mostly concerned about the actual price, not the 12 month initial price since were going to be there a while. I guess we could go with one, then switch to the other if they don't offer us a good retention offer. Then we would be extending the initial discount by an extra year.

lilgophee said:

What's the new rate and package called? It's time for me to call Cox again.

I am perfectly happy with their service but not their pricing.

akkord said:
Time Warner didn't have gigabit speeds when I was on it years ago and their pricing was higher that what we're currently paying.  What's Time Warner's price for gigabit speed?  My post above has stated what happened after a year. 

TCT said:

The thing is we don?t need gigabit speeds honestly. 100 Mbps would do it just fine. It?s just you don?t get a big discount going from gigabit to 100 Mbps with the 12 month offer. Long term it?s considerably cheaper.

We get Cox, U-Verse, and Google Fiber in our neighborhoods.  I have tried them all.  Cox's speed varies and costly.  U-Verse has the best steady peak speed.  But their 100 package has a data cap of 1 TB although we don't get close to hitting it.  I got Google Fiber which is the cheapest with good enough steady high speeds and has no data cap.

Currently using 100mbps.  No need for us to get the Gigabit right now unless kids grow up and 4k streaming kicks in. 

Mety said:
What about just using hotspots from your phone?
#savingsmatter #unlimitedataplan

We?re worried enough about just getting a phone signal in parts of Irvine. We?re considering a place in Portola Springs and we barely get a bar of signal there.

Bumping this thread instead of making a new one.

We?re trying to decide between Cox and AT&T. Online our new address doesn?t show availability for AT&T yet, will call and see offers.

Best from Cox I?ve gotten is

$40 for 30 MBPS for 36 months
$60 for 150 MBPS for 36 months

I don?t think we need more than 150 MBPS at the moment. Does that seem like a good deal since the price is for 36 months?

I figure that after 3 years we could maybe reassess prices and speeds and maybe move to AT&T if they offer a better deal.

I think ATT prices are cheaper...their gigabit is only $70 i think and includes free install/gateway-router, Cox makes you buy their modem or lease it from what I remember unless you have your own compatible modem.

akkord said:
I think ATT prices are cheaper...their gigabit is only $70 i think and includes free install/gateway-router, Cox makes you buy their modem or lease it from what I remember unless you have your own compatible modem.

i pay $40/mo 100 up/down with no contract on at&t, including modem/router

We have a cable modem already.

If I can get 100 for $40 I?d do that. AT&T just shows unavailable at our address online, need to call and see pricing.

jamesKirk said:
We have a cable modem already.

If I can get 100 for $40 I?d do that. AT&T just shows unavailable at our address online, need to call and see pricing.

stop in at an at&t store and see what they can do.  could be their website isn't up to date.  let them know one of your neighbors got a deal recently for the $40

Back