How much does Nanny cost

kurapika168

In general, how much does a full time nanny cost in Irvine?
I might be looking for a nanny that works 40~45 hr/week. Better if it?s a Chinese speaking nanny.

The cost really varies depending on tasks and condition. number of kids
Live in tends to cost more. Taiwanese/Cantonese tends to cost more than Mainland Chinese.
Few Chinese nanny go for the $/hr route. It's usually $/month.
Our current one is $4500. She drives herself to our house ( many do not drive)
She's works 6 days a week (8 hour day with 1 hour break)
She also does some light cleaning and 2 meal cooking/meal prep.

If you are on Facebook and can read Chinese, look up this private group " ????&???"
I can add you to the group.
It connects nanny with families. People post reviews and questions too.

Live in Nanny from another country paid under the table 24 hours of service with only 1 day off a week:
$2400/month under the table.

Illegal immigrant, so prob won't sue you for back wages or labor law violations.

Country of origin? Taiwan who overstayed her visa.

akkord said:
Who watches the kids on the one hour break if both parents work?

Kenkoko said:
She's works 6 days a week (8 hour day with 1 hour break)
My daughter still takes an afternoon nap daily. (She's 2.5)
We ask our nanny to take her break during nap time.

zubs said:
Live in Nanny from another country paid under the table 24 hours of service with only 1 day off a week:
$2400/month under the table.

Illegal immigrant, so prob won't sue you for back wages or labor law violations.

Country of origin? Taiwan who overstayed her visa.
Wow, that's the lowest price I've heard.  ;D
The lowest I've seen for live in nanny in my Facebook Nanny group is around $3000. (And I think only mainland Chinese are available in this price range)

This nanny has been living in USA for the past 6 years taking care of the same family who keeps having babies.
She is afraid to leave because she makes so much more money here compared to her origin.

I'll tell her your info so she can better negotiate with her slave owners.

I'm not up on nanny norms.  Why would live-ins cost more?  Yes, longer hours and more work, but I assume room and board are also covered?

daedalus said:
I'm not up on nanny norms.  Why would live-ins cost more?  Yes, longer hours and more work, but I assume room and board are also covered?
I am only familiar with the Chinese nanny so this could be cultural.
Two reasons for costing more that I see
1)Usually live-in Chinese nanny is for the first month of the newborn baby. It's much harder work to take care of a newborn. We had a live-in nanny for the first 2 months after my daughter was born and it was $6000 a month after tips.
2)Supply and Demand. Less (legal) nannies are willing to work as live-ins as they tend to have families here. And many do not like the live-in arrangements. It's could be very different if you consider illegals tho.

Back