Builder Upgrade Costs between builders

Hi All,

I have a question regarding builder upgrade costs between various builders.  I know that all builders uncharge for the convenience of options being done/installed during the normal construction of all homes, but are the differences in upcharges significant from one builder to the next?  Or is it a pretty standard percentage markup that each builder falls within (i.e. 20% markup).  I am coming from a new construction with Tripointe purchased 5 years ago, and moving towards a new construction with Toll Brothers soon.  I hear the markup with Toll Brothers is pretty aggressive, I remember pricing things out with Tripointe vs doing the flooring after COE, and the difference wasn't significant so I just went with the builder. But if Toll Brothers are known for REALLY gouging customers on upgrades, then I might have to reconsider.  Has anyone that has experience buying from different builders noticed a large difference in markup from one builder to the other?

Toll Brothers is definitely on the higher end of the spectrum for upgrades pricing (if not all the way at the top).

The sales office should be able to give you a price list for options like cabinets, electrical and structural. For flooring, counter tops and tiling you have to wait to go through the design center to know the pricing usually.

My co worker bought in Hidden Canyon, spent about $350k on upgrades from Toll and still didn?t get everything she wanted.

Back up the Brinks truck for Toll upgrades.

Back