Water Softener and Filter System

Cares

With my solar project wrapping up I'm looking to spend more money into the next project. Anyone have recommendations for a brand or installer for both?

Anyone that have one that swears by it? Regret it? Worth it?

I think there was a water softner thread, but people recommended Diamond Pure Water and So Cal Water.

But I wanted to ask, is the RO filter system removing too much of the mineral? I?ve heard removing too much mineral is actually harmful for drinking. Any thoughts?

Whatever your choice, make sure it's installed indoors.  If outdoors then build an enclosure for it.

We installed a water softener system in the side yard and it deteriorated over 5 years.  Unlike other gardening equipment designed to withstand outdoor environment, these units will crack after prolonged exposure.

I vetted multiple companies.  I went with Diamond Pure as did a couple of my friends.  I also spoke with SoCal, Crystal Clear, Costco (way too expensive).

We went with GE water softener, whole house water filter and RO from Home Depot and installed it through Home Depot licensed contractors at half the price quoted by other vendors for much better system in my opinion.

So Cal Water ~3700 for Dual Valves, Carbon, and Softener Tanks, RO system - a lot of yelp reviews stated bad on follow ups, a friend had a bad experience too, also the most expensive
Crystal Clear ~3500 similar to the above (they do offer just a softener and RO for ~2400/2500, believe they were offering this for ~2200 when I asked them about this a couple years ago, but we knew we were going to move on from that home)
Diamond Pure ~3200 similar to the above

Diamond Pure offered a Carbon Tank w/ No Valve and Softener with Valve for 2700, also included the Pentair RO system which is what I went with, the installer I had was great, he was out at my house for 10+ hours due to where I wanted my tanks installed

If you use Diamond Pure, please use me as a referral.  PM me for my name.  I get free filters or $50 check, I'll split the $50 (will paypal you and we can still be anonymous). 

Diamond Pure is the way to go.  Just had my follow up appointment with them and I posted an update in the other thread for continuation purposes.  Each home is different depending on what you need and where you want it installed.

Call them for a free no risk quote.  They have good reviews on YELP and you can pay by credit card.

lilgophee said:
Diamond Pure is the way to go.  Just had my follow up appointment with them and I posted an update in the other thread for continuation purposes.  Each home is different depending on what you need and where you want it installed.

Call them for a free no risk quote.  They have good reviews on YELP and you can pay by credit card.

So how much did you pay? (Ball park figure)
Also. Is there room for negotiation?

eyephone said:
lilgophee said:

So how much did you pay? (Ball park figure)
Also. Is there room for negotiation?

My home was pre-plumb and I paid about $2740 for 2 tanks and RO in kitchen. Paid via credit card, the $40 was a tip because the install 2 guys came Friday afternoon and had a long drive home at 6pm to Riverside so I wanted to buy them dinner to avoid the traffic.

Didn?t negotiate because it was straight up pricing and in-line with what I expected to pay.

irvinehomeowner said:
But what's the ROI on it?

#kidding

I actually think there is the ROI on this.
Homes with good water softener systems will get a higher value when selling and appraisals, etc. People also have more positive look on the home if that's installed.

I'm just curious if anyone has a concern of having mineral deficiencies by these filter system. W.H.O. seems to even say it could be dangerous. But then again there are so many other views also. Thoughts?

Diamond Pure seeming like the best choice based on pricing and general reviews and TI members...

Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#kidding

Homes with good water softener systems will get a higher value when selling and appraisals, etc. People also have more positive look on the home if that's installed.

I'm just curious if anyone has a concern of having mineral deficiencies by these filter system. W.H.O. seems to even say it could be dangerous. But then again there are so many other views also. Thoughts?

But you might have to filter the other things. (I?m not going to say it, but you know what I mean)

I?m all about helping out people. (as you can tell by my posts, looking out for the little guy)

Here are the other cheaper options:

-Bottle water (might be pricey)
-Attach a filter to your sink faucet
-Get a water container that has filter when you pour
-Get a water osmosis system for underneath your sink (buy from amazon or Costco etc.) and install it your self (YouTube videos)

eyephone said:
Mety said:
irvinehomeowner said:

#kidding

But you might have to filter the other things. (I?m not going to say it, but you know what I mean)

Yes, RO filter system filters lead and all those possible bad chemicals so it will taste better. But because it filters so good, it filters good nutrition also. I guess there is no perfect system, but I would like to hear if any company provides filtering system that could keep good ones like minerals. OR if anyone knows having less minerals is not as bad as we might think.

Back