Euro half shower door - which one of you jerks did this?

icey

So I was window shopping these Spanish Haciendas down in San Juan Capistrano from the other thread. Unique floor plans with tons of privacy and great style, some of the rooms are just gorgeous like living in an historical property.

As I understand it, there is a high end flipper down there that knows what they are doing and is turning over the properties for big profits. Much respect as these layouts look really appealing.

But then I stumbled upon picture 15 out of 25...with that damned European half shower door.

Now those of you that love Europe know exactly what I'm talking about. You can't escape these things. It doesn't trap heat, and water splashes EVERYWHERE, especially if you are on the taller side. Net result is a wet bathroom floor all the time. It's mildly infuriating, no matter how hard you try to adjust to prevent the spillage.

The explanation I hear is that Europeans typically take baths and then just use the shower to rinse off. I have never heard this confirmed. And the half door is more aesthetically pleasing, and more hygienic than a gross shower curtain. Or some countries have the room certified as a "wet room" where the water is supposed to splash all over the floor.

BUT STILL. THIS HERE IS MURICA.

Come on man!

Explanation anyone? Any real Europeans who know what the deal is with these? Every time I research it's usually us Americans speculating as to what the exact purpose is.

This million dollar house man. Maybe they are trying to replicate the full Euro experience by getting water all over the floor haha.
https://www.redfin.com/CA/San-Juan-Capistrano/31211-Paseo-Amapola-92675/home/4900023

I couldn't tell from the picture but I don't think it does.

Based on when I usually see these, there's no drain in the room.

So I went a googling and the only functional advantage I can see from a half shower door is it keeps the shower ventilated and helps prevent mold/mildew build up.

Other than that, it's just stylistic. You can read a huge discussion about this on FlyerTalk (and they even sidebar into electric ranges and knob location):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1941870-why-european-shower-doors-only-halved.html

I don't get it either. I like the newer frameless and barn-door type shower doors but keeping the water (and heat) in seems like the top most priority for a shower. And after you are done, keep the door open to keep it ventilated. :)

IMO what you need is a drain and window.  I will not purchase another home with windowless bathrooms (*).

(*) I mean bathrooms with shower/tub.  If it's a 1/2 bath with toilet and sink only then it's OK.

irvinehomeowner said:
So I went a googling and the only functional advantage I can see from a half shower door is it keeps the shower ventilated and helps prevent mold/mildew build up.

Other than that, it's just stylistic. You can read a huge discussion about this on FlyerTalk (and they even sidebar into electric ranges and knob location):
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/europe/1941870-why-european-shower-doors-only-halved.html

I don't get it either. I like the newer frameless and barn-door type shower doors but keeping the water (and heat) in seems like the top most priority for a shower. And after you are done, keep the door open to keep it ventilated. :)

I have not seen those frameless barn door shower doors but they look really slick !

Back