An Odd position of a house

are you a SFR or a condo?

A house was built exactly on the line/edge of a lot, which means there is no access to one of the exterior walls from the yard. any issues, fixes or improvements would need to be done from the neighbor's yard with his permission.

what happens if there is a leak and the neighbor is not at home, do you just get into his private yard? :)

I don?t think you can do anything. You suppose to get the neighbor?s permission.

I think I have all my neighbor?s cell phone number. Also, I have the email address of one my neighbor?s parent. (Used it to compare landscaping/contractor quotes) You never know the email might come in handy.  :)

This is called a zero lot line, and can be seen in various developments (old and new) in Irvine and other places in OC as well. 

I avoid buying any zero lot line property as a matter of principle.

In addition to the emergency repair scenario you mention, you also have no idea what your neighbor is doing in their yard right up against the wall of your home. There could be overgrown trees that damage your foundation, overwatering their yard, causing water damage to the wall of your house, having their kid bouncing balls/throwing other stuff against the wall of your home, etc. A lot of times, there are no windows along the zero lot line side of your home, so you can't easily see what's going on along the side of your house, without entering your neighbor's yard.

misme said:
This is called a zero lot line, and can be seen in various developments (old and new) in Irvine and other places in OC as well. 

I avoid buying any zero lot line property as a matter of principle.

In addition to the emergency repair scenario you mention, you also have no idea what your neighbor is doing in their yard right up against the wall of your home. There could be overgrown trees that damage your foundation, overwatering their yard, causing water damage to the wall of your house, having their kid bouncing balls/throwing other stuff against the wall of your home, etc. A lot of times, there are no windows along the zero lot line side of your home, so you can't easily see what's going on along the side of your house, without entering your neighbor's yard.

Exactly, great analysis!!

Back