Which part of Irvine is away from earthquake faults and has solid rocks undernea

Due to the recent earthquakes in the news, now I am taking the risk of earthquake damage into consideration.

Could anyone comment on Which part of Irvine is away from earthquake faults and has solid rocks underneath? Thanks.

I have found this website where I can see different faults, but I do not quite understand the different faults and the associated risks. For instance, there is a black line across turtlerock, does it mean turtlerock is on a fault? And is it true that turtle rock lies mainly on solid rocks?

Thanks.

According to this:https://maps.conservation.ca.gov/cgs/EQZApp/app/

Mostly all of Irvine N of 405 is in a liquification zone.

Liquefaction: Shaking from an earthquake can cause land to behave like quicksand, causing the ground to fail. This can happen in places where the land is made of loose sand or silt and filled with groundwater.

Liquefaction can also cause something called "lateral spreading," in which the ground can slide down gentle slopes or toward the bank of a river while on top of a buried layer that acts like a liquid.

?Because sand is behaving like a fluid, anything on top of it is going to slide,? McCrink said. ?Because that material at depth is behaving like quicksand ? gravity is going to push it down, even on a very small slope.?

Perhaps I?m ignorant on this topic, but if a strong enough earthquake hits and takes down homes in northern irvine, homes south of the 405 will also be coming down

South of 405 is on top of the Newport-Inglewood Fault Line, which are capable of producing a magnitude-7.4 quake.  This one is going to be more destructive for OC than the big one from San Andreas since its so close.

Newport-Inglewood Fault is the one right next to Irvine in this map.
southern-california-earthquake-faults-thumb-600x375-61512.jpg

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history/2018/07/21/living-with-the-newport-inglewood-fault/

how one can verify/check if his house has been build according to updated building codes to withstand an earthquake?
is that by the year it was built?
are there any inspectors that can determine that?

Worstest case scenario: An 8.5 on Newport Fault Line reopens the dormant Costa Mesa hot springs fissure (Victoria and Harbor) while simultaneously converting the Brea and San Juan Capistrano hot springs into 3 full blown Kilauea style volcanic events. That...... or San Andrea's fires a 9.0 event, Avalon shears off into the Pacific and the resulting tsunami turns the entire L.A. Basin into a Bay. Much can go wrong quickly here in SoCal given its topography, terrain, and history.

We have had since 2016 emergency food supplies to last about 90 days, along with multiple water filtration tools to get us through a "Big One" event. I'm soon adding a spare wrench to turn the gas meter off when needed and a few more ammunition caches.

One can't be ready for everything, but if you haven't done so already preparing now is a wise choice.

My .02c

Soylent Green Is People said:
Worstest case scenario: An 8.5 on Newport Fault Line reopens the dormant Costa Mesa hot springs fissure (Victoria and Harbor) while simultaneously converting the Brea and San Juan Capistrano hot springs into 3 full blown Kilauea style volcanic events. That...... or San Andrea's fires a 9.0 event, Avalon shears off into the Pacific and the resulting tsunami turns the entire L.A. Basin into a Bay. Much can go wrong quickly here in SoCal given its topography, terrain, and history.

We have had since 2016 emergency food supplies to last about 90 days, along with multiple water filtration tools to get us through a "Big One" event. I'm soon adding a spare wrench to turn the gas meter off when needed and a few more ammunition caches.

One can't be ready for everything, but if you haven't done so already preparing now is a wise choice.

My .02c

Just make sure you have quake insurance to cover the cost to rebuild your house. Life goes on!

My .02c

I think that's best case scenarios.  Many if not most won't survive the initial event, subsequent aftershocks and those that do will be so hindered in their mobility you'll have relative isolation.

Worse case scenario is a mid-8 on the Andreas in Riverside triggering other mid-6, 7s on the faults thru the LA.area like Inglewood, Newport etc.  Enough to mess things up, cripple governemnt and their access to the region while displacing everyone but leaving them alive, initially.

I was in Eastside Costa Mesa a decade ago when a trivial little 3.2/3.4 hit the newport fault under Eastside. It felt like i was sitting at a stop light when you get rear ended in your car.  iMHO, we're all.jaded thinking we've been in earthquakes, we haven't. When you're on the or near the epicenter its a whole different game.  Frankly, if that would have been a 5.4 or 6.4 at 100x or 1000x magitude if would have probably thrown me and the couch across the room.

We still pay EQ insurance, but have been advised by more than one insurance agent that if the building happens to be on fire after the quake, regular insurance should cover the loss. That said I never hope to find out if this theory is true or not.

My .02c

So what about detached condos? Are they covered by the HOA if the earthquake damages the home?

We still pay EQ insurance, but have been advised by more than one insurance agent that if the building happens to be on fire after the quake, regular insurance should cover the loss. That said I never hope to find out if this theory is true or not.

My .02c

Hmm... loophole.

Note to momopi: Add accelerants to survival kit. :)

Only way to know what an HOA covers is to ask the HOA management. Seems like a good time to start a thread about which HOA's cover EQ damage and which ones do not.

Only way to know what an HOA covers is to ask the HOA management. Seems like a good time to start a thread about which HOA's cover EQ damage and which ones do not.

Of course, like any (quazi)government monopoly agency, any shortfalls in coverage, deductibles or cost over runs will be assessed to the ratepayers ( home owners).

Its the gift that keeps giving.  You'll pay double because the people making the deal arent spending their money and may not know what they're doing.

They you'll pay double again because your special.assessment will be to pay for the loan to get the money up front while the HOA figures out and collects the special assessment.

Which may be on top of the fact that prices probably will double due to demand after the event.

(Can you tell I still have a bad taste in my mouth from my HOA reroofing 25 years ago?)

Mety said:
So what about detached condos? Are they covered by the HOA if the earthquake damages the home?

We actually asked our HOA representative this question and this was their response:

Our Master policy does not currently have earthquake related coverage.  We have a full policy for the buildings structure but excludes earthquake damage at this time.

So assuming no EQ coverage with any condo project, might anyone dare to ask the follow up question: "So if there is an earthquake that results in a fire, is the damage from the fire covered?"

The HOA Manager might get a bit flustered if asked, so an alternative might be "So a week after a big EQ one of the pipes in the street busts and floods my house. Who covers that loss?"

My .02c

The interior is the owners responsibility.  The exterior will have a special assessment as its doubtful they carry flood insurance.

Mety said:
So even with EQ insurance, don't you have to pay like $200k deductible on your own?

You can adjust your deductible now.

The best use of EQ insurance is for 1) damage that is moderate and can be repaired and 2) if your house is complete destroyed and you want to move elsewhere. 

If your house is completely destroyed...there is pretty good chance that the surrounding area/infrastructure is decimated.  Your property value are going to be nonexistent any ways and you are better off just giving the house back to the bank.  The EQ insurance payment you get will not likely be enough to pay off your mortgage and even if it does...it's not going to be enough to rebuild your house. 

Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:
So even with EQ insurance, don't you have to pay like $200k deductible on your own?

The best use of EQ insurance is for 1) damage that is moderate and can be repaired and 2) if your house is complete destroyed and you want to move elsewhere. 

If your house is completely destroyed...there is pretty good chance that the surrounding area/infrastructure is decimated.  Your property value are going to be nonexistent any ways and you are better off just giving the house back to the bank.  The EQ insurance payment you get will not likely be enough to pay off your mortgage and even if it does...it's not going to be enough to rebuild your house.

So in the end, it's not worth it.

Mety said:
Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:

So in the end, it's not worth it.

It depends on where you are...and what you expect the results of a quake to be.  Most houses are not destroyed..but damaged.  So if you have a $200K bill to mix your walls and foundation...insurance is worth it. 

If you have a low mortgage, it's worth it because you can pay off the loan...keep the remainder and then apply for low interest loans for a new place.

People who talk about equity value forget that your house is going to be next to worthless if a major disaster strikes.

Back