Zip 92705 North Tustin vs Santa Ana address?

JohnT

We were browsing a few homes and past sales in the North Tustin area and were wondering if property values are at all affected by having the Santa Ana address? One home was listed as North Tustin, but when you look up the address on the OC tax assessors site it shows Santa Ana. Sort of a weird thing, just wondering if it matters when we look at these houses.

You can use either.  They're the same.  North Tustin is a recognized USPS mail destination and not an incorporated area.  Official government records are all Santa Ana, afaia.

nosuchreality said:
You can use either.  They're the same.  North Tustin is a recognized USPS mail destination and not an incorporated area.  Official government records are all Santa Ana, afaia.

North Tustin has the best of both worlds.  You tell your family and friends you live in Tustin but when it comes to applying for college, you claim Santa Ana.  ;D

Yeah, after doing some searching it?s pretty confusing. It?s random what address people put there, some listings at 2 mil use Santa Ana and some put North Tustin. Only issue I saw was 911 calls being directed to the Santa Ana police and some complaints about mail delivery.

JohnT said:
We were browsing a few homes and past sales in the North Tustin area and were wondering if property values are at all affected by having the Santa Ana address? One home was listed as North Tustin, but when you look up the address on the OC tax assessors site it shows Santa Ana. Sort of a weird thing, just wondering if it matters when we look at these houses.

I believe North ?Tustin? is unincorporated Santa Ana.

irvinehomeowner said:
JohnT said:

I believe North ?Tustin? is unincorporated Santa Ana.

North Tustin is unincorporated Orange County (it does not fall under any city jurisdiction, not Tustin, and not Santa Ana). It shares a zip code with Santa Ana 92705 for purposes of mail service.  It uses OC Sheriff for its police. It uses Tustin schools (and in some areas, Orange Unified schools)

Its gorgeous up there. I don't live there, but have a lot of friends there. I love the large lots, the privacy, the custom homes, the more "organic" vibe of the community (not so manicured and master planned like Irvine). Amazing views in some sections.  No HOA, which can be good or bad, depending on the situation. You can do a lot with a property when you have the land--pool, park an RV, build a guest house, grow your own veggie garden/fruit orchard, etc.  Some lots are big enough for horses or tennis courts.

I wanted to like this area but just driving up Newport Blvd to get to your house feels a bit ghetto.  I have a friend who lives on a street where homes are valued at maybe 1.3-1.5, and his neighbors have like a creeper van, one guy had a bathtub on his front lawn (kids were playing it in summer)... a couple houses have huge overgrown fraying Cypress in front, just bad overall feel for that much $$$.

aquabliss said:
I wanted to like this area but just driving up Newport Blvd to get to your house feels a bit ghetto.  I have a friend who lives on a street where homes are valued at maybe 1.3-1.5, and his neighbors have like a creeper van, one guy had a bathtub on his front lawn (kids were playing it in summer)... a couple houses have huge overgrown fraying Cypress in front, just bad overall feel for that much $$$.

good ROI:
good schools?
safe?
neighborhood in good condition?

Max ROI:
Everything mentioned in good ROI but more  :)

The area we?re looking in is the area closest to Irvine Blvd, and also parts of 92780 around there. Further north and it?s too expensive for us. That area looks pretty nice, I don?t see any odd or unkept yards honestly. Large lots, but downside to me is everyone seems to have a pool. We don?t want a pool so that could be an issue if we find a house we like, but it has a pool.

We?re sort of leaning toward waiting for a less or not fixed up house to come on the market and then we can fix it up how we want to. 800k+ for a ?remodeled? house near Irvine Blvd just doesn?t feel appealing after seeing a few open houses there. The money they spend ?fixing? up the place felt sort of wasted just to make the house look more presentable for open houses. I?d rather get a place in the 700s and make my own choices to fix it up.

I don?t know if you?re looking east or west of Newport. On the Eastside of Newport, everything south of La Colina is zoned to Tustin High. West of Newport, there are parts of 92705 farther north from Irvine Blvd (toward vanderlip or 17th street)  but in Foothill High district that have single story ranches that may be in your price range and nice looking.  I think the Tustin versus Foothill High zones do make a difference in terms of real estate appreciation.

These neighborhoods don?t look any worse maintained to my eye than older neighborhoods  in Irvine like El Camino Real, Walnut, University Park, parts of old Northwood, Deerfield, etc. Any neighborhood that is older and doesn?t have an HOA is going to look less uniform than new tracts in Irvine. Anyway, I have a lot of neighboring homes with absentee owners in my new Irvine SFR tract that did a cheapo crap job with minimal landscaping on their postage stamp lot, and shoddy maintenance, so buying in Irvine is no guarantee you?ll get to live in a beautiful well maintained neighborhood.

misme said:
I don?t know if you?re looking east or west of Newport. On the Eastside of Newport, everything south of La Colina is zoned to Tustin High. West of Newport, there are parts of 92705 farther north from Irvine Blvd (toward vanderlip or 17th street)  but in Foothill High district that have single story ranches that may be in your price range and nice looking.  I think the Tustin versus Foothill High zones do make a difference in terms of real estate appreciation.

These neighborhoods don?t look any worse maintained to my eye than older neighborhoods  in Irvine like El Camino Real, Walnut, University Park, parts of old Northwood, Deerfield, etc. Any neighborhood that is older and doesn?t have an HOA is going to look less uniform than new tracts in Irvine. Anyway, I have a lot of neighboring homes with absentee owners in my new Irvine SFR tract that did a cheapo crap job with minimal landscaping on their postage stamp lot, and shoddy maintenance, so buying in Irvine is no guarantee you?ll get to live in a beautiful well maintained neighborhood.

It?s mostly due to proximity to where my parents live near the Tustin ranch golf course. The high school isn?t that big a deal to us since we may not be there in 16 years when our kid goes to high school, but we know it matters for resale.

There are some affordable homes in Irvine that are very similar to N Tustin homes in terms of age/quality. Basically anything around 800k and under we can afford, but would prefer to get something down in the 700s since we already plan on doing some remodeling. Even when remodeled most of the sellers we?ve seen make really poor choices on either what to upgrade or stylistic choices that are pretty bad.

We?d rather get a home with original flooring and kitchen cabinets and pick the upgrades ourselves.

The alternative is getting a new or relatively new townhouse and pay the HOA/mello roos.

One luxury we have is we can stay with my parents which lets us wait for the right house and to save up more money for a down payment or remodel. With rates looking like they may drop some more as well we?re leaning toward this strategy. We only have a couple months left on our lease as well so with no rent we could save a lot in only a few months and buy around December.

Back