Irvine is a Buyer's Market according to Zillow

momopi said:
I think it's too early to make that claim at the beginning of Summer season.

Unfortunately there are no rules. So basically like anybody that owns a website can say that.

My suggestion. Maybe at least have a conflict of interest statement.

It's just like anybody on a message board can say what they want, truth or not.

In the real world, everyone has some conflict of interest. Some people like to use data and opinion from Steve Thomas but he's a realtor... and hasn't been right all the time. And while Zillow/Redfin/et al are real estate sites, they also from their trends/analysis using MLS data, realtor feedback, market behavior, etc so it's relevant.

And I'm not too sure you can be too early or too late to say what the current market is... that's like saying it's too early to predict today's weather. :)

eyephone said:
momopi said:

Unfortunately there are no rules. So basically like anybody that owns a website can say that.

There are rules for stock analysts regarding disclosures why not a real estate analysts.

I think a message board is a little bit different from #1 real estate listing website.

eyephone said:
eyephone said:
momopi said:

There are rules for stock analysts regarding disclosures why not a real estate analysts.

I think a message board is a little bit different from #1 real estate listing website.

There are also stock bloggers who don't have any certifications who speculate about stocks.

And there are stock broker sites that talk about trends and market direction.

They always have that caveat of past performance does not guarantee future results.

So I'm not sure why sites like Zillow, Trulia and Redfin can't be reasonable sources of trend analysis, it's the same as any article from any newspaper or comment from any home builder.

eyephone said:
Maybe the Real Estate industry needs a government agency to enforce rules like the SEC.

That's a somewhat different subject but I think that's what CAR and NAR are for.

I would prefer less government involvement.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
Maybe the Real Estate industry needs a government agency to enforce rules like the SEC.

That's a somewhat different subject but I think that's what CAR and NAR are for.

Is the CAR and NAR known for enforcing rules and protecting the general public?

I honestly think I?m wasting my time talking to you. I do t know if you don?t get it. This applies only to you. If you want me to respond to a question. I will charge you a consulting fee.

As I said to you before. Don?t waste my time with unreasonable responses and questions.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

They are supposed to. But you are referring to a "retail" industry so there isn't going to be the regulation you are looking for. Who protects the "general public" from Target? Or from a Toyota dealership?

eyephone said:
I honestly think I?m wasting my time talking to you. I do t know if you don?t get it. This applies only to you. If you want me to respond to a question. I will charge you a consulting fee.

As I said to you before. Don?t waste my time with unreasonable responses and questions.

Why so confrontational? I was originally referring to websites/blogs which you mentioned and then you pivoted to the real estate industry which I also addressed.

I don't see anything unreasonable in my responses.

?They suppose to?
Give me a recent case that they enforced.
I think a lot of people knows the SEC enforces like no other. (Which is good as they are looking out for the public.)

There you go again. You bring Target stores into the conversation. When we are talking about enforcement in the real estate industry and securities/stocks/financial.

Your talking about website that give out Real Estate recommendations. Should there be a conflict of interest statement when the real estate website gives an opinion. I would even bring up when a website lists as a house hot home or something?

When giving a recommendation. Would it be so hard for them to say that they are a listing agent and also offers other services? (Simple disclosure) So an average person would consider the potential bias opinion.

irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:
irvinehomeowner said:
eyephone said:

They are supposed to. But you are referring to a "retail" industry so there isn't going to be the regulation you are looking for. Who protects the "general public" from Target? Or from a Toyota dealership?

eyephone said:

Why so confrontational? I was originally referring to websites/blogs which you mentioned and then you pivoted to the real estate industry which I also addressed.

I don't see anything unreasonable in my responses.

Based on my limited observation on properties priced $450K-$500K, it seems that South OC (Irvine to Mission Viejo) home's asking price in certain areas has received ~$30K bump this summer, compared to Chino at ~$10K.

Observation is based on properties near the ones that I own and is not reflective of entire city or region.

eyephone said:
?They suppose to?
I think a lot of people knows the SEC enforces like no other. (Which is good as they are looking out for the public.

There you go again. You bring Target stores into the conversation. When we are talking about enforcement in the real estate industry and securities/stocks/financial.

Target is closer to real estate because they are both basically retail, you are purchasing a product for use.

Stocks/securities are different, although can be seen as related... but their primary function is investing so there should be more oversight.

But, I do agree that realtors themselves need more policing but I don't think it should be by the government, we already pay enough taxes.

Your talking about website that give out Real Estate recommendations. My point should there be a conflict of interest statement when the real estate website gives an opinion. I would even bring up when a website lists a house hot home. At times I see it?s listed by the real estate website.

When giving a recommendation. Would it be so hard for them to say that they are a listing agent and also offers other services? (Simple disclosure) So an average person would consider the bias opinion.

As I said before, I think it's reasonable to understand that if it's a real estate site, they have some bias. Just like many people on Talk*Irvine* have a bias towards Irvine (and there a many who are anti-Irvine).

But things like "hot homes" at least for Redfin, are based on metrics so it's objective. If a listing receives a high number of hits, that means there are many people looking at it and thus "hot" is an appropriate label.

I don't understand why you are adamant that if Zillow publishes their opinion based on trends, MLS data analysis and agent input, that would require an upfront disclosure, a user should know that. And, they actually do have a Terms of Service like most websites:
https://www.zillowgroup.com/terms-of-use-privacy-policy/

Welcome and thank you for your interest in Zillow (operated by Zillow, Inc. and its affiliates, collectively, ?Zillow Group?). By clicking a registration or new account submission button, or by otherwise using Zillow Group?s websites, networks, mobile applications, or other services provided by Zillow Group (collectively, the ?Services?), or accessing any content provided by Zillow Group through the Services, you agree to be bound by the following terms of use, as updated from time to time (?Terms of Use?).

Zillow Group?s Role. ZILLOW GROUP DOES NOT, AND THE SERVICES ARE NOT INTENDED TO, PROVIDE FINANCIAL OR REAL ESTATE ADVICE. ZILLOW GROUP IS NOT A FINANCIAL OR REAL ESTATE BROKER OR LENDER.

[...]

I think an average person would be aware of any "bias".

eyephone said:
?They suppose to?
I think a lot of people knows the SEC enforces like no other. (Which is good as they are looking out for the public.)

Actually, the California DRE is already a government "enforcer", here is what they have enforced recently:

http://www.dre.ca.gov/Licensees/DisciplinaryActions.html

You bring up Target stores when it has nothing to do with disclosing conflict of interest. It?s clear when you go to a store if you are buying a brand name product or a target product.

irvinehomeowner said:
?They suppose to?
I think a lot of people knows the SEC enforces like no other. (Which is good as they are looking out for the public.

Target is closer to real estate because they are both basically retail, you are purchasing a product for use.

Stocks/securities are different, although can be seen as related... but their primary function is investing so there should be more oversight.

But, I do agree that realtors themselves need more policing but I don't think it should be by the government, we already pay enough taxes.

Your talking about website that give out Real Estate recommendations. My point should there be a conflict of interest statement when the real estate website gives an opinion. I would even bring up when a website lists a house hot home. At times I see it?s listed by the real estate website.

When giving a recommendation. Would it be so hard for them to say that they are a listing agent and also offers other services? (Simple disclosure) So an average person would consider the bias opinion.

As I said before, I think it's reasonable to understand that if it's a real estate site, they have some bias. Just like many people on Talk*Irvine* have a bias towards Irvine (and there a many who are anti-Irvine).

But things like "hot homes" at least for Redfin, are based on metrics so it's objective. If a listing receives a high number of hits, that means there are many people looking at it and thus "hot" is an appropriate label.

I don't understand why you are adamant that if Zillow publishes their opinion based on trends, MLS data analysis and agent input, that would require an upfront disclosure, a user should know that. And, they actually do have a Terms of Service like most websites:
https://www.zillowgroup.com/terms-of-use-privacy-policy/

Welcome and thank you for your interest in Zillow (operated by Zillow, Inc. and its affiliates, collectively, ?Zillow Group?). By clicking a registration or new account submission button, or by otherwise using Zillow Group?s websites, networks, mobile applications, or other services provided by Zillow Group (collectively, the ?Services?), or accessing any content provided by Zillow Group through the Services, you agree to be bound by the following terms of use, as updated from time to time (?Terms of Use?).

Zillow Group?s Role. ZILLOW GROUP DOES NOT, AND THE SERVICES ARE NOT INTENDED TO, PROVIDE FINANCIAL OR REAL ESTATE ADVICE. ZILLOW GROUP IS NOT A FINANCIAL OR REAL ESTATE BROKER OR LENDER.

[...]

I think an average person would be aware of any "bias".
[/quote]

I'm not talking about branding, I'm talking about retail, the buying and selling of products.

When you buy something from Target, you know that they are selling it because they want to make a profit on it. Do they need to "disclose" that? Why does Target carry certain brands (even their own, Up And Up which isn't obvious, just like Kirkman and Kroger) and not others? They even promote their own brands more with sales... do they need to say why they are biased?

When you see something on a real estate site, you should know that there is some connection to the retail sale of homes if you use that site's agent, 3rd party vendor or whatever.

But that's my opinion.

This falls in my what are you talking about bucket.
You are on the block list. Like a total waste of time.

It?s fine to have your opinion. But bringing in Target into the conversation is not reasonable and far fetch.

eyephone said:
This falls in my what are you talking about bucket.
You are on the block list. Like a total waste of time.

It?s fine to have your opinion. But bringing in Target into the conversation is not reasonable and far fetch.

I also brought Toyota dealership into it because they share the same idea, a retail transaction between two parties.

The buyer should be aware that the seller has motives so what they say will obviously have bias.

I don't know why you can't see that connection.

You also did not comment on the DRE and Zillow's disclosure which was what you were asking for.

Back