Author Topic: Advice for couple shopping in the 525-600k price range? (Irvine/Tustin Ranch)  (Read 2675 times)

Offline misme

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 22
  • -Received: 34
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/103-Terra-Bella-92602/home/5757455

How about this one? It seems to check all your boxes (including budget and relatively newer) and is also closer to Tustin Ranch than the new developments in Portola/Great Park. Could use some cosmetic updates, but probably not getting into structural stuff at that age.
Northpark is a really nice gated community.

Offline TheDoctor

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/103-Terra-Bella-92602/home/5757455

How about this one? It seems to check all your boxes (including budget and relatively newer) and is also closer to Tustin Ranch than the new developments in Portola/Great Park. Could use some cosmetic updates, but probably not getting into structural stuff at that age.
Northpark is a really nice gated community.

We’ve checked out terra Bella a couple times and didnt like it. We’d be open to looking at more units there, but so far it’s lower on the list of communities we want.

Portola springs is really as far as we’d want to go. About 15 min from my parents so still convenient.

Offline moc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 5
  • -Received: 9
If we were looking I would have issues with that kitchen. It's really tiny and I could not live with those counters. How would you keep them clean with that tile grout?

Also I can't tell if it has an attached garage.

Offline misme

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
I agree it could use cosmetic upgrades, but dude, how hard is it to switch out counters?

I don't understand the obsession in California with brand new construction in general. My spouse, a Californian, who has never lived in "used housing", as they put it, insisted on buying brand new construction. I caved. But in my heart of hearts, I think an established neighborhood with mature landscaping, more breathing room between houses, and custom renovation of the older homes is a better place to call home. Believe me, there can be a lot of problems with new construction, from personal experience!

The layout of new neighborhoods (sardine can boxes) leaves a lot to be desired, IMHO.
Dated interior finishes are relatively easy to fix.
Bad neighborhood design is forever.

That's why Turtle Rock maintains its value even though its one of the oldest neighborhoods in Irvine.

I guess what I'm saying is, if you are making a choice between older and dated finishes, versus brand new (with high HOA/Mello) but cramped 3 story layouts in order to stay within budget, I would go with the more desirable neighborhood/location.

« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 03:29:40 PM by misme »

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline moc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
No I totally hear you. It's not that hard to do some cosmetic upgrades. It's all just factors in the decision calculation.

I'm not from California. I grew up in houses built in the 1800s. I like newer homes because they are built for modern life. Closets, garages, laundry near your bedroom, enough outlets. I grew up with none of those things but it's so much better having them. But by my standards almost everything in Irvine is newer :) I definitely did not plan on new construction when we started looking, it was just the best fit for us based on our criteria.

Online eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 352
  • -Received: 604
No I totally hear you. It's not that hard to do some cosmetic upgrades. It's all just factors in the decision calculation.

I'm not from California. I grew up in houses built in the 1800s. I like newer homes because they are built for modern life. Closets, garages, laundry near your bedroom, enough outlets. I grew up with none of those things but it's so much better having them. But by my standards almost everything in Irvine is newer :) I definitely did not plan on new construction when we started looking, it was just the best fit for us based on our criteria.

where did you grow up? (Living in houses built in 1800s)

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline moc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
Philadelphia. I think the newest house we lived in was built in the 1920s. The house I lived in most of my childhood was built in the 1860s.

Offline misme

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
Philadelphia. I think the newest house we lived in was built in the 1920s. The house I lived in most of my childhood was built in the 1860s.

I love those old Philly style houses with the super tall ceiling and windows like Rittenhouse area.

I am also from a major East Coast city where "prewar" (i.e. before WWII) construction is considered the good stuff, and also much more sound proof (none of this wood frame construction here)

Offline iacrenter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 389
  • -Received: 587
Did you live in a row house? Gotta love that Philly architecture.

Offline moc

• Tourist
  • Thanks
 It was a twin.

The architecture and exteriors are awesome. Plumbing, electrical, closets, etc... Not so much

Did you live in a row house? Gotta love that Philly architecture.

Offline TheDoctor

• Tourist
  • Thanks
Does anyone have an idea what the expected HOA and mello roos may be for the new Levity homes in Tustin Legacy? Could it be about the same as Columbus Square which is near where Levity is being built?

After seeing some more houses were now thinking even more about going with a new development. Everytime we see a resale home we immediately start talking about what we want to replace and how much it would be, etc etc. With the new homes its basically just the flooring we want upgraded and that's it. Even then we could live with the carpet for a while and replace the living room with wood later on.

What is holding us back is the HOA and mello roos.

We are on the verge of stepping up to a bit more expensive house and just sucking it up and paying the mello roos like my parents did when Tustin Ranch was just being built out.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2154
  • -Received: 1687
Does anyone have an idea what the expected HOA and mello roos may be for the new Levity homes in Tustin Legacy? Could it be about the same as Columbus Square which is near where Levity is being built?

After seeing some more houses were now thinking even more about going with a new development. Everytime we see a resale home we immediately start talking about what we want to replace and how much it would be, etc etc. With the new homes its basically just the flooring we want upgraded and that's it. Even then we could live with the carpet for a while and replace the living room with wood later on.

We are on the verge of stepping up to a bit more expensive house and just sucking it up and paying the mello roos like my parents did when Tustin Ranch was just being built out.

My guess is that HOA will be $350-$400/mo and Mello Roos will be $4,000+
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline TheDoctor

• Tourist
  • Thanks

Seems like a reasonable guess. I can't imagine it will be as high as the great park area for HOA. Columbus Square says $340 or so I think from the last open house I went to there.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2154
  • -Received: 1687

Seems like a reasonable guess. I can't imagine it will be as high as the great park area for HOA. Columbus Square says $340 or so I think from the last open house I went to there.

Did you come to my open house at Columbus Square on Cambridge this weekend)? 
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline TheDoctor

• Tourist
  • Thanks

Did you come to my open house at Columbus Square on Cambridge this weekend)?

Not yet, I'm just going off Redfin info. Those are the closest homes I can find to where Levity will be and same schools I think.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: The Investigation by eyephone
[Today at 09:42:05 AM]

Re: The Investigation by morekaos
[Today at 09:39:55 AM]

Re: The Investigation by eyephone
[Today at 09:28:23 AM]