How is tax charged by online retailers

shadyoc

I have ordered items from online retailers and Amazon and have always been charged tax where it is delivered.  In this case, living in OC, tax is 7.75%  I have even ordered things from brick and mortar retailers based in Los Angeles, whose tax rate is higher at 9.5%, but they charge me tax based on the destination address of 7.75%.  I recently ordered something on ebay and the seller is in Los Angeles, and they charged me 9.5% tax, even though the product was delivered to OC.  Why is tax based on the seller's business location tax rate and not the buyer's shipping destination tax rate, this time around?

shadyoc said:
I have ordered items from online retailers and Amazon and have always been charged tax where it is delivered.  In this case, living in OC, tax is 7.75%  I have even ordered things from brick and mortar retailers based in Los Angeles, whose tax rate is higher at 9.5%, but they charge me tax based on the destination address of 7.75%.  I recently ordered something on ebay and the seller is in Los Angeles, and they charged me 9.5% tax, even though the product was delivered to OC.  Why is tax based on the seller's business location tax rate and not the buyer's shipping destination tax rate, this time around?

Tax should be based on the delivery address, not where the seller is located.  You should contact the seller and request a refund for the difference in sales tax.

Back