[Poll] 2011 Home Design Opinions

What do you think of the new homes in Irvine's 2011 Collection?

• The floorplans are great

Votes: 6 16.7%
  • The floorplans are okay

Votes: 18 50.0%
  • The floorplans are bad

Votes: 12 33.3%
  • The external designs are nice

Votes: 5 13.9%
  • The external designs are average

Votes: 11 30.6%
  • The external designs are poor

Votes: 10 27.8%

• Total voters

irvinehomeowner

I combined the internal and external into one poll (which is why you get 2 votes).

I realize the biggest complaint would be lot size and interior size but given those are "fixed", let's concentrate on the functionality and design of the floorplan and the aesthetics of the exterior elevations.

While most of TIC's designs are basically stucco boxes with little in regards to other materials such as stone/brick/wood accents, I don't mind them and think they look fine. It's the interior that I have issues with, some of the floorplans are just bad and they don't efficiently use space.

I realize people like big kitchens but there is such a thing as too big and I think function is being sacrificed for size. The same goes for upstairs areas where more living space such as tech areas and lofts are needed because they removed the first floor living areas to make space for Great Rooms.

Please post any specific likes/dislikes along with your votes.

I wished San Mateo had a 3+1 option, even if it's a small loft like Santa Barbara.

San Marcos bedrooms aren't created equal.  The one downstairs in 3 feels really small, the converted loft in plan 2 is long and narrow.  In the kitchen, I don't like where the appliances are (not really a floor plan thing, but still).  The garage door opens right into the microwave in plan 3.  I'm also not a huge fan of the extended counter into the dining area, it makes the dining room feel cramped.

The floor plans vary quite a bit, so it's hard to sum them all up in one vote.  I generally like the great room concept, and the plans that combine that with a tech space and/or loft would work fine for me.  I actually really like the extended counter - you can never get enough counter space, and it doubles as a built-in serving station.  Pet peeves of mine from current models include:

-insanely small closets (e.g. San Marcos 2,3)
-non-optional desks built into the living room
-tubs jutting into the master bathroom
-over-sized tubs in 2nd bathrooms
-bedrooms sharing walls with the master suite

Back