Author Topic: Where do Zillow and Redfin get the sold property data?  (Read 642 times)

Offline talkirvine

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 0
Where do Zillow and Redfin get the sold property data?
« on: June 03, 2019, 10:45:05 AM »
Do they get the data from the county office? Or from the Realtor association? I assume the data is free to the public as well?

I am interested in knowing who are the two agents involved in each transaction. Is that information publicly free? And is it available somewhere online?

Thanks for any information.

Offline zubs

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 64
  • -Received: 347
Re: Where do Zillow and Redfin get the sold property data?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2019, 11:23:16 AM »
Take this listing as an example:
https://www.redfin.com/CA/Irvine/122-Orchard-92618/home/4746203

Right below the map of the neighborhood it has the following:

Listed by Yunxiao Liang •BRE #02049499 • Lucky Real Estate
Redfin last checked: 8 minutes ago | Last updated Mar 21, 2019

•Source:CRMLS
Bought with Jin Ro •BRE #01826936 • Keller Williams Realty Irvine

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 331
  • -Received: 579
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2019, 11:36:39 AM »
Do they get the data from the county office? Or from the Realtor association? I assume the data is free to the public as well?

I am interested in knowing who are the two agents involved in each transaction. Is that information publicly free? And is it available somewhere online?

Looking to sell?

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2079
  • -Received: 1651
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2019, 12:04:20 AM »

That data comes from the local MLS, in our case it would be CRMLS so both websites have an API connector that pulls in that data from MLS.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline talkirvine

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2019, 12:14:20 PM »

That data comes from the local MLS, in our case it would be CRMLS so both websites have an API connector that pulls in that data from MLS.

Thanks, USCTC. Do you know if the data is only accessible to real estate brokers, or if it is accessible to anyone with a valid reason? I am considering building a website or app similar to Zillow, and wondering if I can get access to the data from local MLS.

Thanks for any thought.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2079
  • -Received: 1651
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 01:22:51 PM »

Thanks, USCTC. Do you know if the data is only accessible to real estate brokers, or if it is accessible to anyone with a valid reason? I am considering building a website or app similar to Zillow, and wondering if I can get access to the data from local MLS.

Thanks for any thought.

Access to MLS is granted by the realtor association.  You may be able to use a data source such as IDX (paid subscription that many realtors use for their websites) to get MLS data.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links