Where do Zillow and Redfin get the sold property data?

Do they get the data from the county office? Or from the Realtor association? I assume the data is free to the public as well?

I am interested in knowing who are the two agents involved in each transaction. Is that information publicly free? And is it available somewhere online?

Thanks for any information.

talkirvine said:
Do they get the data from the county office? Or from the Realtor association? I assume the data is free to the public as well?

I am interested in knowing who are the two agents involved in each transaction. Is that information publicly free? And is it available somewhere online?

Looking to sell?

talkirvine said:

That data comes from the local MLS, in our case it would be CRMLS so both websites have an API connector that pulls in that data from MLS.

USCTrojanCPA said:
talkirvine said:

That data comes from the local MLS, in our case it would be CRMLS so both websites have an API connector that pulls in that data from MLS.

Thanks, USCTC. Do you know if the data is only accessible to real estate brokers, or if it is accessible to anyone with a valid reason? I am considering building a website or app similar to Zillow, and wondering if I can get access to the data from local MLS.

Thanks for any thought.

talkirvine said:
USCTrojanCPA said:
talkirvine said:

Thanks, USCTC. Do you know if the data is only accessible to real estate brokers, or if it is accessible to anyone with a valid reason? I am considering building a website or app similar to Zillow, and wondering if I can get access to the data from local MLS.

Thanks for any thought.

Access to MLS is granted by the realtor association.  You may be able to use a data source such as IDX (paid subscription that many realtors use for their websites) to get MLS data.

Back