Poll

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla
14 (46.7%)
EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq
9 (30%)
Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)
3 (10%)
Hydrogen
0 (0%)
Other
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles  (Read 18995 times)

Offline AW

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 47
  • -Received: 177
Re: EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles
« Reply #105 on: May 14, 2022, 09:51:44 AM »
If I were in the market for a Y, I’d just get the performance since the wait time is shorter and the difference between a non performance isn’t as much anymore.

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 726
  • -Received: 228
« Reply #106 on: May 14, 2022, 10:50:00 AM »
Yup, they always deliver the higher cost trims quicker than the others. The demand is relatively less and their margins are greater. It just makes sense. I think the main drawback of the Performance models for most people (other than the price of course) is the larger wheels which provide a rougher ride, less mileage efficiency, and easier to damage. But an easy fix is to sell them and buy the standard wheels.

Offline HMart

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 252
  • -Received: 82
« Reply #107 on: May 15, 2022, 04:59:02 PM »
I didn’t read the article but 12 year period of ownership doesn’t seem realistic - perhaps it is but I don’t know anyone with a car older than 7 years.

Also, it seems to be picking what are probably some of the cheapest EVs. Aren’t Teslas the most dominant/best selling EVs?

I’d be curious to see what the numbers look like with Teslas.

Still not ready for prime time!!

We've stuck to cars for about 10 years, it's worked reasonably well as a strategy.

Offline daedalus

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 274
  • -Received: 282
« Reply #108 on: May 16, 2022, 02:25:25 AM »
My oldest running cars are 28 and 29 years old.  I've had them for 16 and 19 years, respectively.  Others I've had longer and are older, but probably only have 1 trip left in them to the scrapyard.   I've only ever bought used cars.  As a young adult I would buy my first car and truck well used, at 9 years old each.  The age and miles have generally gone down at each successive purchase as life progressed, but I don't think I will ever buy a new car.   My newest vehicle was purhased as a 1 year lease return 2 1/2 years ago.  I fully expect to be driving it well into retirement. 

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal