Poll

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla
14 (46.7%)
EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq
9 (30%)
Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)
3 (10%)
Hydrogen
0 (0%)
Other
4 (13.3%)

Total Members Voted: 30

Author Topic: EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles  (Read 19182 times)

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 527
  • -Received: 107
Re: EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles
« Reply #90 on: March 19, 2022, 07:05:00 AM »
This is only true if you charge your batteries for free, like at your office.  Otherwise, you need it account for the electricity costs (whether via company or amortizing your rooftop solar).

Big bump in Tesla prices again.  Especially X.  Base model at $115k starting price. Pretty expensive.

I can get Toyota/Lexus plugin hybrid SUV for $70k. Assuming i spend $2.5k annually for gas, it’ll be the same cost as Tesla in 20 years. Getting EV that expensive doesnt make sense economically for me.

Offline AW

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 47
  • -Received: 177
« Reply #91 on: March 19, 2022, 08:51:38 AM »
To counter that, there’s less maintenance on EV, only tires, wiper blades and small battery over time.  Brake pads replacement around 200k miles (regen does the bulk of braking).

And also time.  Charging overnight/not waiting in Costco line,  hov sticker (if comparing against something that doesn’t qualify).  Knew a recruiter that travelled a lot and bought a S purely for the sticker. 
What’s your value of time, let’s say it’s worth or you make $100/hr X the amount of time you save taking hov over the course of whatever time period… (currently expires in 4 years, unless law changes?)

(I do agree the X is too expensive for what it is, falcon wing doors a fancy gimmick, r&d for a sliding door would be better)

This is only true if you charge your batteries for free, like at your office.  Otherwise, you need it account for the electricity costs (whether via company or amortizing your rooftop solar).

Big bump in Tesla prices again.  Especially X.  Base model at $115k starting price. Pretty expensive.

I can get Toyota/Lexus plugin hybrid SUV for $70k. Assuming i spend $2.5k annually for gas, it’ll be the same cost as Tesla in 20 years. Getting EV that expensive doesnt make sense economically for me.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2753
  • -Received: 4076
  • 3CWG
« Reply #92 on: May 12, 2022, 09:10:04 PM »
New report comparing EVs to their counterpart ICE cars say most are cheaper from day one:

https://electrek.co/2022/05/12/most-electric-cars-are-cheaper-to-own-from-day-one-report/

Electric cars aren’t just cheaper over the long term but have cheaper total monthly cost from day one for most buyers in the United States, according to a new report from Energy Innovation.

A common refrain from new car buyers is that they’d like to buy electric, but they can’t justify the higher initial price. We have known for a long time that total cost of ownership for an EV is generally cheaper than that of a gas car, but consumers typically put more importance on initial purchase price rather than actual costs. The report states that half of Americans think EVs are “too expensive to seriously consider.”

This analysis expands on the total cost of ownership calculation – rather than looking at the entire average 12-year period of car ownership, it looks at monthly costs over the length of a six-year financing term. Since 85% of cars in the United States are financed at purchase, this is a more realistic way to view costs than by looking at the sticker price.

Energy Innovation’s analysis looks at EV vs. gas vehicle costs in every state and includes financing costs, fuel (based on average fuel costs as of May 4 and average electricity costs), maintenance, insurance, EV incentives, and even dumb EV fees that some states have implemented. They looked at six vehicles with similar gas and electric versions, and tried to pick similar option levels as well:

Hyundai Kona SEL vs. Hyundai Kona Electric SEL
Hyundai Kona Limited vs. Hyundai Kona Electric Limited
Ford F-150 XL vs. Ford F-150 Lightning Pro
Kia Niro EX Premium vs. Kia Niro EV EX Premium
Volvo XC40 Inscription vs. Volvo XC40 Recharge Plus
Nissan Versa S Xtronic CVT vs. Nissan LEAF
The analysis notes that these aren’t direct comparisons – many EVs have more features at “base” option level than gas versions of cars do – but they’re the closest they could get. For example, the LEAF is a good car, and the Versa … just isn’t.

When comparing all of these costs for each vehicle and each state, the report found that for most cars and most states, the EV is cheaper on a monthly cost basis:

And this will even get cheaper as more EVs come out and if gas prices remain high.

EVs are prime time qwerICE. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Kenkoko

• Thanks
  • -Given: 193
  • -Received: 305
« Reply #93 on: May 13, 2022, 01:15:42 AM »

(I do agree the X is too expensive for what it is, falcon wing doors a fancy gimmick, r&d for a sliding door would be better)

The heavy price tag also comes with the title of the fastest SUV on the planet.  Model X plaid is absurdly fast with 0-60 mph in 2.5s & 1/4 mile in 9.9s.

And it's the only Tesla (rated over 6000 lb.) that can qualify for section 179 tax deduction. This is very appealing to business owners.

Offline freedomcm

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 527
  • -Received: 107
« Reply #94 on: May 13, 2022, 06:57:02 AM »
That study is more editorial than facts.
ignores the expiration of the $7500 credit, and assumes purchase at MSRP.

Online qwerty

• Thanks
  • -Given: 2775
  • -Received: 1846
« Reply #95 on: May 13, 2022, 08:20:47 AM »
I didn’t read the article but 12 year period of ownership doesn’t seem realistic - perhaps it is but I don’t know anyone with a car older than 7 years.

Also, it seems to be picking what are probably some of the cheapest EVs. Aren’t Teslas the most dominant/best selling EVs?

I’d be curious to see what the numbers look like with Teslas.

Still not ready for prime time!!

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #96 on: May 13, 2022, 12:01:51 PM »
I didn’t read the article but 12 year period of ownership doesn’t seem realistic - perhaps it is but I don’t know anyone with a car older than 7 years.

Also, it seems to be picking what are probably some of the cheapest EVs. Aren’t Teslas the most dominant/best selling EVs?

I’d be curious to see what the numbers look like with Teslas.

Still not ready for prime time!!

The articles agrees with you... it dilutes the comparison down to a 6-year financed outlay which is more realistic than a 12-year ownership.

The reason why it chose the cars it did was because there was either a same model ICE counterpart or very close within brand. There is no ICE Tesla to compare to.

However, if you compare the 3/Y to $40-$60k ICE cars, you will find a similar cost savings (well... back when you could get 3/Ys for that cheap).

You'll be driving an EV one day... just like you got into an ARM years ago. :)
I recommend:

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Online qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #97 on: May 13, 2022, 02:07:43 PM »
Well my better half is looking at a model y. She hates going to the gas station so we may end up with one soon :-(

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #98 on: May 13, 2022, 03:10:46 PM »
Needs to reserve now, long waits for Model Ys.

I’d recommend a Mach-E, Ioniq5, EV6 or even ID4… you still get the $7500 tax credit and an easier transition to an EV.
I recommend:

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
  • -Given: 30
  • -Received: 125
« Reply #99 on: May 13, 2022, 03:14:26 PM »
Well my better half is looking at a model y. She hates going to the gas station so we may end up with one soon :-(

Unless you're getting Model Y Performance, you won't be getting it anytime soon. Right now, Model Y is slated for Nov 2022-Feb 2023, but who knows if it's going to be delayed again.

I ordered the Model 3 back in March. Delivery date was supposed to be August. Then it got pushed back to Aug-Oct. Now it's been delayed again, to Oct-Nov.

And at the end of March, I placed an order to Mach E. Tuttle Click Ford accepted my order and placed the order again with Ford. That was on April 1st and it still says Place Order (In Progress) on Ford website.  :P Looks like Ford has a lot of orders to process.

At this rate, we still have to go to the gas station for a while, probably until end of the year.  ::)

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #100 on: May 13, 2022, 03:17:17 PM »

I’d recommend a Mach-E, Ioniq5, EV6 or even ID4… you still get the $7500 tax credit and an easier transition to an EV.

Forget Mach-E. Can't order 2022 models anymore. Have to wait for 2023 models.

Online qwerty

• Thanks
« Reply #101 on: May 13, 2022, 05:35:40 PM »

My wife is not very patient so we would pay the extra 5-6k for the performance to get it faster. Last time we checked it was about a 2 month wait.

I tried to push her towards the Mach e since that looks better - she said she would test drive it but as calbear pointed out, you can’t order it anymore. She said she would test drive the Ioniq 5 and EV6 as well.

Calbear - I think the Mach e is probably the best looking EV out there, very good looking car.

Offline CalBears96

• Thanks
« Reply #102 on: May 13, 2022, 06:19:32 PM »

My wife is not very patient so we would pay the extra 5-6k for the performance to get it faster. Last time we checked it was about a 2 month wait.

I tried to push her towards the Mach e since that looks better - she said she would test drive it but as calbear pointed out, you can’t order it anymore. She said she would test drive the Ioniq 5 and EV6 as well.

Calbear - I think the Mach e is probably the best looking EV out there, very good looking car.

We would have paid for the Model 3 long range had we known that Tesla would delay delivery.

My wife wasn't that impressed with Mach-E's look, so I'll be driving it while she'll be driving the Model 3.

Actually, we ordered the Model 3 for her and then later I decided that I wanted to trade in my 2017 Prius Prime for the Mach-E. I've put 80k miles on the Prius Prime and battery efficiency has dropped quite a bit right now. Used to be able to get 27-31 miles per charge. Now only 24-26 miles per charge. I kind of decided on Mach-E because I still can get the $7500 rebate.

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 222
  • -Received: 833
« Reply #103 on: May 14, 2022, 01:47:15 AM »
Seems like the Model Y performance is coming even quicker than quoted.  My co-worker ordered in March and was quoted May-June delivery and it already came mid April about 40 days after order was placed. 

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #104 on: May 14, 2022, 08:32:28 AM »
Seems like the Model Y performance is coming even quicker than quoted.  My co-worker ordered in March and was quoted May-June delivery and it already came mid April about 40 days after order was placed. 

That's interesting. I know friends how have been waiting since last year and still haven't received their Ys. Not sure what configuration they ordered.

Looking at Tesla's site, looks like their most expensive models have the shortest wait time... surprise surprise. :)
I recommend:

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2022, SimplePortal