Poll

What type of alternative fuel car are you buying in the near future?

All electric (EV) car, luxury over $50k like Tesla
7 (43.8%)
EV car but lower priced less than $40k like Chevy Bolt, Nissan Leaf, Hyundai Ioniq
6 (37.5%)
Plug-in Hybrid (Chevy Volt, Kia Niro, Honda Clarity)
1 (6.3%)
Hydrogen
0 (0%)
Other
2 (12.5%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles  (Read 790 times)

Offline zovall

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 415
  • -Received: 144
Re: EV/Plug-in/Other vehicles
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2019, 08:19:29 AM »
The Standard Range Model 3 (now $35,400) is an amazing car. We doubled down and it is pretty much the same as our Dual Motor Model 3 which cost ~$20k more.

The Standard Range Model 3 is about $40.5k out the door. After the $3750 tax credit (dropping to $1875 July 1st), the $2500 CVRP rebate, and the $1000 SoCal Edison rebate, you are looking at a net cost of $33,250.

We had one of the early LEAFs (leased it) and have had no regrets going electric.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2083
  • -Received: 3527
  • 3CWG
« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2019, 08:26:43 AM »
I'm going to see what those EV Rivian trucks and SUVs look like.

Expensive... but it would be nice to go back to a pickup truck and feel young again. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline OCtoSV

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 20
  • -Received: 9
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2019, 06:45:12 PM »
We have 2x Tesla Model 3s. I'm thinking of selling my Model 3 and trading up to a Model X though. It qualifies for 100% accelerated 1 year depreciation based on tax code. So taking a price of $100,000 and writing it off against my 1099 income then it basically yields me a $70,000 car plus Federal and state EV incentives bringing it down to the low $60s.

I'm going to do that but with the new Cayenne Coupe.
What are your thoughts on  Cayenne vs Panamera? Both are insane values lightly used.

I've never wanted to spend that much money on a car, but if I do I think it would be tough not to go Tesla. Plus the carpool sticker is only EV so plug in hybrid makes zero sense. I've got a cheap eGolf lease now and once you go electric its tough to go back. I think gas cars will be an anomaly a lot sooner than most people think - IMO a decade. There will be wrenching consolidation as the service revenue-fueled dealership model dries up given the dramatically lower service reqs for EVs. A big problem for brands like Porsche will be Tesla's technology lead - hardware/software, drivetrain, battery design and mfg. This will really show up once the regulatory environment around autonomous driving matures, probably also in a decade.

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2073
  • -Received: 1643
« Reply #18 on: June 05, 2019, 12:14:30 AM »
We have 2x Tesla Model 3s. I'm thinking of selling my Model 3 and trading up to a Model X though. It qualifies for 100% accelerated 1 year depreciation based on tax code. So taking a price of $100,000 and writing it off against my 1099 income then it basically yields me a $70,000 car plus Federal and state EV incentives bringing it down to the low $60s.

I'm going to do that but with the new Cayenne Coupe.
What are your thoughts on  Cayenne vs Panamera? Both are insane values lightly used.

I've never wanted to spend that much money on a car, but if I do I think it would be tough not to go Tesla. Plus the carpool sticker is only EV so plug in hybrid makes zero sense. I've got a cheap eGolf lease now and once you go electric its tough to go back. I think gas cars will be an anomaly a lot sooner than most people think - IMO a decade. There will be wrenching consolidation as the service revenue-fueled dealership model dries up given the dramatically lower service reqs for EVs. A big problem for brands like Porsche will be Tesla's technology lead - hardware/software, drivetrain, battery design and mfg. This will really show up once the regulatory environment around autonomous driving matures, probably also in a decade.

Never had a Panny, just GT cars and a Macan and regular Cayenne.  I've always lightly optioned my cars because loading up on options is how you take a big hit on depreciation.  I'll sell the Cayenne Coupe in Jan and get a new Macan S and then in 2021 I'll probably sell that and pick up a Macan GTS.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2083
  • -Received: 3527
  • 3CWG
« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2019, 06:54:31 AM »
Plus the carpool sticker is only EV so plug in hybrid makes zero sense.

I thought you can get that sticker on plug-in hybrids too. I see them on Pacificas and Claritys.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline marmott

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 23
  • -Received: 51
« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2019, 07:04:43 AM »
You can: https://ww2.arb.ca.gov/eligible-carpool-sticker-list

I think eventually only pure EVs will get them but there is still some time for PHEVs.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts