Question for anyone living in Petaluma/Marin/San Mateo/Marigold/Vivo etc.

Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here live in one of the IP tracts mentioned above? I'm curious (particularly if you are in a lot with a home behind you)--if you are outside in your patio and one or more neighbors are outside in theirs--can you hear them talking? Or are the patio walls high enough/substantial enough that it buffers the noise?

I live in a detached end unit condo in Woodbury so I don't have this issue (though there is still a lack of privacy), but my brother is about to put in an offer at Marin in Eastwood Village and was wondering if the patio would be peaceful.

Thanks in advance for your help!

winterblues said:
Hi Everyone,

Does anyone here live in one of the IP tracts mentioned above? I'm curious (particularly if you are in a lot with a home behind you)--if you are outside in your patio and one or more neighbors are outside in theirs--can you hear them talking? Or are the patio walls high enough/substantial enough that it buffers the noise?

I live in a detached end unit condo in Woodbury so I don't have this issue (though there is still a lack of privacy), but my brother is about to put in an offer at Marin in Eastwood Village and was wondering if the patio would be peaceful.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Why is your question specific to only those IP tracts? 

90% of TIC new homes have same set back so yes you hear people talking if you are in the backyard.  Thankfully, most TIC areas are filled with Asians that never use their backyards :)

Waiting for IHO to chime in about yard space!

Thanks everyone! I hope my question didn't offend--I have a tiny yard and a condo only as wide as my 2-car garage, so I can certainly relate to small lot sizes!

My question pertained to these IP tracts because my impression is all the examples I mentioned have a similar floorplan and a similar motorcourt arrangement, and my brother is specifically looking to buy one of these. Wanted to get a true picture of what it would be like living there.

Thanks again!

winterblues said:
Thanks everyone! I hope my question didn't offend--I have a tiny yard and a condo only as wide as my 2-car garage, so I can certainly relate to small lot sizes!

My question pertained to these IP tracts because my impression is all the examples I mentioned have a similar floorplan and a similar motorcourt arrangement, and my brother is specifically looking to buy one of these. Wanted to get a true picture of what it would be like living there.

Thanks again!

Not offended...TIC make their plans pretty well known...big house..small yards.  It's a feature...not a defect :)

Youngsters don't need yards. Some homes these days don't even have dining areas but instead they put a huge island where you can have that Uber Eats on your feet.

I'm curious though. So if one of these six homes grills a BBQ, does the smoke or smell pretty much invade the whole 6-pack? Also IC said you can hear next doors if you're outside at yard/patio, but what about when you have the windows open? Do IC's Asian neighbors don't even open the windows?

Mety said:
Youngsters don't need yards. Some homes these days don't even have dining areas but instead they put a huge island where you can have that Uber Eats on your feet.

I'm curious though. So if one of these six homes grills a BBQ, does the smoke or smell pretty much invade the whole 6-pack? Also IC said you can hear next doors if you're outside at yard/patio, but what about when you have the windows open? Do IC's Asian neighbors don't even open the windows?

I can't say for other yards but I don't think anyone in my immediate neighborhood have a home BBQ...everyone I know BBQs at the pool.

We open windows occasionally at night but don't hear much.  Most of the people I see in my community keep their windows closed.

I live in one of these IP tracts. Pretty common to hear your neighbors if you are in the yard. Most walls are just 10=15 ft offset from the structure. New IP homes are closely packed together.

Mety said:
$1m can't get you the privacy no more, huh?

not any more! For Petaluma plan 3, it cost us close to 1 mil after upgrades & landscape. Our house adjoins 5 other homes in the back/sides. If next door house does barbecue or someone smokes, we can smell in our great room.  Thats urban living in Irvine :) Even the higher end calistoga homes hardly have any privacy.

But the neighborhood is nice!

Where would you say gives more privacy with decent village amenities? Woodbridge? University Park? Turtle Rock? Any newer (post 2000) area?

eyephone said:
Since when you need privacy? ;)
There is no expectation of privacy once you walk out of your house.

Yes, but it's nice to have a little bit of privacy when you're at home. I wouldn't want to smell someone smoking from my living room.

Mety said:
eyephone said:

Yes, but it's nice to have a little bit of privacy when you're at home. I wouldn't want to smell someone smoking from my living room.

Hypotethical- If you live by a chain smoker there?s like nothing you can do.
Maybe do a marketing campaign on your neighbor that smoking might be bad. (Get/order free pamphlets, print material from websites, wear a T-shirt that states your view) lol

Cough loud, show attitude, don?t smile at your neighbor that is causing you breathing problems but smile at other neighbors (use discretion before you do it and of course don?t blame me if anything happens or your neighbor goes crazy) wink

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

Maybe do a marketing campaign on your neighbor that smoking is bad. (Get pamphlets, print material from websites, wear a T-shirt that states your view) lol

Cough loud, show attitude, amplify your voice (use discretion before you do it and of course don?t blame me if anything happens or your neighbor goes crazy) wink

If someone smokes, it's really up to them to decide to keep smoking or start quitting. While I can suggest teenagers not to smoke, I can't force any full grown adults to stop smoking.

What I want to hear from you guys is what villages in Irvine you would say provide more privacy. I think Woodbridge has both good village amenities and layouts where there's more space between homes to provide more privacy. The same for University Park and Turtle Rock. They're just so old and usually there aren't many kids less than 10 year-old residing. From West Park (late 80s) and on, they started to build these 6-pack type of homes where there is only a short wall between your yard and my yard or sometimes my wall is part of your yard kinda thing. I guess it's called zero lot line or something. Anyways, if you guys know any village or floorplans that give you more privacy in Irvine, please share.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

Maybe do a marketing campaign on your neighbor that smoking is bad. (Get pamphlets, print material from websites, wear a T-shirt that states your view) lol

Cough loud, show attitude, amplify your voice (use discretion before you do it and of course don?t blame me if anything happens or your neighbor goes crazy) wink

If someone smokes, it's really up to them to decide to keep smoking or start quitting. While I can suggest teenagers not to smoke, I can't force any full grown adults to stop smoking.

What I want to hear from you guys is what villages in Irvine you would say provide more privacy. I think Woodbridge has both good village amenities and layouts where there's more space between homes to provide more privacy. The same for University Park and Turtle Rock. They're just so old and usually there aren't many kids less than 10 year-old residing. From West Park (late 80s) and on, they started to build these 6-pack type of homes where there is only a short wall between your yard and my yard or sometimes my wall is part of your yard kinda thing. I guess it's called zero lot line or something. Anyways, if you guys know any village or floorplans that give you more privacy in Irvine, please share.

older neighborhoods, definitely.
Turtle Rock
old Westpark (1)
Woodbridge
Camino Real
certain parts of Northwood Pointe have big lots. don't know what your budget is.

Turtle rock is at a stage where it is starting to get tear down/ custom rebuilds, so you can look for a new build in an old established neighborhood if you want newer.

most of all--
OUTSIDE OF IRVINE!!! for privacy

Back