Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut

I wonder if SCE actually pays customers for excess generation.  4KW is way more than I need, even with 1 electric car, assuming 8 hours of generation a day.  I assume there's some basic monthly grid fee even if you generate more than you consume.  Ignoring this, it's still a 8 year payoff for me. though I guess electricity will only go up in price over time.

There's still the question of how do you replace your roofing shingles every 30 years and still keep everything working and warrantied, and how much extra that will cost.  Maybe just replace the whole system every 30 years along with the roof.

Prices may drop after the tax credit expires.

daedalus said:
I wonder if SCE actually pays customers for excess generation.  4KW is way more than I need, even with 1 electric car, assuming 8 hours of generation a day.  I assume there's some basic monthly grid fee even if you generate more than you consume.  Ignoring this, it's still a 8 year payoff for me. though I guess electricity will only go up in price over time.

There's still the question of how do you replace your roofing shingles every 30 years and still keep everything working and warrantied, and how much extra that will cost.  Maybe just replace the whole system every 30 years along with the roof.

daedalus said:

4KW is a small system. I am doubtful you have anywhere near 100% offset with an electric car if you had a system that size. California probably averages 5 hours of sun a day throughout the year. That's only 7300 kWh (not accounting for losses) which is not that much for a house without an electric car. We barely use air condition and if you remove our 2 electric cars from the equation we're probably averaging just around 7000 kWh annually.

daedalus said:

4kWh system will yield 6,238 kWh per year.  M3 EV uses ~2500 kWh for 10k miles.  Low range of standard electricity usage in a avg SFR would be around 5000 kWh per year (light AC use).  --> It's very unlikely you will have any excess with 1 EV in the mix.  BTW, the SCE buy back rate is very low and not even worth calculating.

I think eventually will be getting solar.

Once we get an EV that still qualifies for Fed credit, we will use that to help finance panels.

I'm wondering if more and more homes get solar, residential areas can actually become generators and we may see electricity costs go down.

Imagine free AC for your home and free fuel for your cars... that might be more beneficial than automated driving. :)

Personally, I like the roof tile style solar concept.  When I need to replace my roof, I'd seriously consider it if the price is acceptable.  I mean, you're already paying to replace the roof anyway.

But for now I'm not going to buy all electric cars.  Hybrids yes -- the technology is now quite mature.

woodburyowner said:
daedalus said:

4kWh system will yield 6,238 kWh per year.  M3 EV uses ~2500 kWh for 10k miles.  Low range of standard electricity usage in a avg SFR would be around 5000 kWh per year (light AC use).  --> It's very unlikely you will have any excess with 1 EV in the mix.  BTW, the SCE buy back rate is very low and not even worth calculating.

It?s not worth it, unless you work from home or you have the AC on 247 or use a lot of electricity. (not prime time)

eyephone said:
woodburyowner said:
daedalus said:

It?s not worth it, unless you work from home or you have the AC on 247 or use a lot of electricity. (not prime time)

It's better to view purchasing solar panels as a fix income purchase.  $8k net for $1k yield a year.  That's a 12.5% yield per year (with high probability the yield will increase due to rising kWh costs).  Where else are you getting this type of return?

Hmm. Good point Woodbury. I appreciate your post. That is something to consider.

Let?s say if your not sure you might move or you might rent out the place in the future. (It?s hard to recover dollar for dollar the amount of money you spent. Also, who knows if you can charge a premium on the rent.)

irvinehomeowner said:
I think eventually will be getting solar.

Once we get an EV that still qualifies for Fed credit, we will use that to help finance panels.

I'm wondering if more and more homes get solar, residential areas can actually become generators and we may see electricity costs go down.

Imagine free AC for your home and free fuel for your cars... that might be more beneficial than automated driving. :)

Minimum charges.

TOU charges that will shift peak use charges. They've already pushed them back, but going forward as more solar comes online, expect feature peak charges to occur in the 6PM-10PM window. 

Also, a lot can change by 8 or x amount of years. The ruling in Nevada was not favorable then it changed.

(So who knows?)

Do people even consider the previous Nevada ruling? What if the energy companies lobby the Board is to change the rules in Cali.

eyephone said:
Hmm. Good point Woodbury. I appreciate your post. That is something to consider.

Let?s say if your not sure you might move or you might rent out the place in the future. (It?s hard to recover dollar for dollar the amount of money you spent. Also, who knows if you can charge a premium on the rent.)

This is exactly what happened to me. I installed a system on my old house and enjoyed solar for 7 months before moving and renting it out. Now I'm pondering if I should install it on this house now that we have 2 Teslas instead of one.

Cares said:
eyephone said:

This is exactly what happened to me. I installed a system on my old house and enjoyed solar for 7 months before moving and renting it out. Now I'm pondering if I should install it on this house now that we have 2 Teslas instead of one.

Did you charge above market rent since it had solar?

eyephone said:
Cares said:
eyephone said:

No because renters typically don't know enough about it to care about it. They tried to negotiate my rent down though and I did explain how it offsets some electricity bills.

When selling houses too, generally people aren't going to be paying extra just because solar panels are installed.

Cares said:
eyephone said:
Cares said:
eyephone said:

No because renters typically don't know enough about it to care about it. They tried to negotiate my rent down though and I did explain how it offsets some electricity bills.

When selling houses too, generally people aren't going to be paying extra just because solar panels are installed.

Unbelievable! I can?t believe they tried to negotiate you down. I?m glad it turned out okay? (I hope)

eyephone said:
Do people even consider the previous Nevada ruling? What if the energy companies lobby the Board is to change the rules in Cali.

If?

They successfully did it multiple times already.  They changed to include minimum charges.  They changed the buy back rate to be a fraction of the market rate.    They changed to shift everyone to TOU metering.  They changed new installations to include certification they do not produce excess electricity.

You all got your California Climate Credit on your gas bill correct?  LOL.

Maybe they'll bring back the TTA charges and the mandated 10% reduction...

Back