Author Topic: Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut  (Read 86018 times)

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 493
  • -Received: 777
Re: Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut
« Reply #675 on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:25 AM »
I had to call Tesla for my family member because they did not get the referral bonus. They eventually got the referral bonus few weeks after.

I thought the process would be better. I simply told them the concern regarding the referral and they fixed it.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 09:27:10 AM by eyephone »

Online OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 63
  • -Received: 42
« Reply #676 on: September 15, 2021, 09:05:01 AM »
Our Tesla Solar + Powerwall was incredibly clean and efficient. We lucked out living in a city where they have a unionized staff of 29 building inspectors that do their job extremely well and efficiently. We've had it for 9 months and zero issues. I love charging my M3 with my own stored electrons at night. W/O PW you still have to pay to charge at night. And the 26% fed tax credit make sit a no-brainer. Up here having resilience against PGE is highly value added as well, so it was likely the highest value investment I could have made for my property.

Offline fatduck

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 18
« Reply #677 on: September 15, 2021, 09:06:22 AM »
Tesla still being around doesn't mean Tesla Solar will still be around. Solar has been a pretty bad line of business for them generally. It's only profitable because of powerwall sales, which is why they switched to requiring both. They only changed course on that because powerwall use chips that they need for cars right now. I would bet that it's not long before Tesla spins off energy generation and focuses only on storage.

Offline woodburyowner

• Thanks
  • -Given: 69
  • -Received: 158
« Reply #678 on: September 15, 2021, 11:05:05 AM »
W/O PW you still have to pay to charge at night.

CA has Net Metering.  What's the benefit of a PW in this situation?

Online zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 83
  • -Received: 497
« Reply #679 on: September 15, 2021, 12:56:42 PM »
Use the stored energy in battery to run stuff from 4-9pm while using the regular grid during the cheaper times.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 125
« Reply #680 on: September 15, 2021, 08:51:56 PM »
Pretty sure OCtoSV is up north and they may have blackouts/brownouts so a powerwall makes sense.  Down here we don't get hit with that much and between me and Cares, the #'s don't make sense to get a powerwall unless you have OCtoSV's use case or something else you need to store power for, growing weed, mining etherium/bitcoin, whatever it might be.

Offline woodburyowner

• Thanks
  • -Given: 69
  • -Received: 158
« Reply #681 on: September 16, 2021, 09:12:32 AM »
Use the stored energy in battery to run stuff from 4-9pm while using the regular grid during the cheaper times.

So can you set the PW to store electricity only during off peak time and then during peak time, sell the energy to the grid at the higher rate?     

Online OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #682 on: September 16, 2021, 11:08:04 AM »
I never use the grid - Solar during the day, and PW take over as usage becomes > solar generation. During the day I sent most of the Solar back to the grid once hte PW is regenerated. My first PGE "true-up" is next Feb, and I think if I read the arcane 10 page statement correctly I am due ~$500 so far.

Offline fatduck

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #683 on: September 16, 2021, 11:42:25 AM »

So can you set the PW to store electricity only during off peak time and then during peak time, sell the energy to the grid at the higher rate?   
yes

there are two ways to "sell" energy back to the grid in CA. one way is you get storage credits with your provider that are used to deduct against your metered usage. so if you "sell" energy during peak times, and use grid supply during non peak times, you come out ahead.

at end of year, any excess credits are liquidated at wholesale prices. so if you rely entirely on solar and PW and never use your banked credits you are getting a lower rate for your excess production. but you may value the energy independence more highly.

Online zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 83
  • -Received: 497
« Reply #684 on: September 16, 2021, 12:02:27 PM »
Apparently batteries can be run on a timer.
I do not have batteries for my solar, but was told this by the salesman.
I took my batteries budget and added more panels.

Why?....batteries degrade faster than solar panels.
I think by year 10 you are down to 70% charge....but who knows....

Offline fatduck

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #685 on: September 16, 2021, 12:35:54 PM »
storage is so expensive per kwh that I really doubt it makes economic sense to get batteries just to arbitrage peak/off peak rates especially since the sun is out during much of the peak time.

it's more for people who want to be self sufficient and have protection during outages

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Online OCtoSV

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
« Reply #686 on: September 17, 2021, 07:09:29 AM »
storage is so expensive per kwh that I really doubt it makes economic sense to get batteries just to arbitrage peak/off peak rates especially since the sun is out during much of the peak time.

it's more for people who want to be self sufficient and have protection during outages

Also to fix energy costs. Avg PGE bill is almost $200 and rising rapidly. Couple that with stressed generation and transmission capability and fire related blackouts (even though my neighborhood has buried utilities) and the 26% federal subsidy and it just made too much sense.

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 252
  • -Received: 269
« Reply #687 on: October 10, 2021, 10:23:17 PM »
The TOU plans at SCE certainly push the powerwall calculus closer to acceptance.  They rape you on electricity costs right when solar generation falls off a cliff so having a reservoir to balance it all out takes the edge off.  The convenience of staying powered during blackouts and not having to reset all the clocks sells it a bit more. 

Financing @ 2.99% right now...with a 10 year payoff, my monthly bill would be about the same as my current electric bill (not counting the min SCE monthly charges), so not quite at breakeven, but doesn't include the tax rebate, and it would also insulate me from future price hikes.

Tax rebate not changing through 2022.  I'm hoping the Powerwall V3 comes out in time to get the rebate, and without any price increases.  If that pans out, I'll be in.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 493
  • -Received: 777
« Reply #688 on: October 11, 2021, 08:28:01 AM »
It sucks the switch to the new tou.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters