Author Topic: Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut  (Read 86017 times)

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 12
  • -Received: 231
Re: Tesla Solar Panels Price Cut
« Reply #15 on: May 06, 2019, 01:43:25 PM »
Hmm. Good point Woodbury. I appreciate your post. That is something to consider.

Let’s say if your not sure you might move or you might rent out the place in the future. (It’s hard to recover dollar for dollar the amount of money you spent. Also, who knows if you can charge a premium on the rent.)

This is exactly what happened to me. I installed a system on my old house and enjoyed solar for 7 months before moving and renting it out. Now I'm pondering if I should install it on this house now that we have 2 Teslas instead of one.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 493
  • -Received: 777
« Reply #16 on: May 06, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »
Hmm. Good point Woodbury. I appreciate your post. That is something to consider.

Let’s say if your not sure you might move or you might rent out the place in the future. (It’s hard to recover dollar for dollar the amount of money you spent. Also, who knows if you can charge a premium on the rent.)

This is exactly what happened to me. I installed a system on my old house and enjoyed solar for 7 months before moving and renting it out. Now I'm pondering if I should install it on this house now that we have 2 Teslas instead of one.

Did you charge above market rent since it had solar?

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 12
  • -Received: 231
« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2019, 02:16:14 PM »

No because renters typically don't know enough about it to care about it. They tried to negotiate my rent down though and I did explain how it offsets some electricity bills.

When selling houses too, generally people aren't going to be paying extra just because solar panels are installed.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #18 on: May 06, 2019, 02:33:04 PM »

No because renters typically don't know enough about it to care about it. They tried to negotiate my rent down though and I did explain how it offsets some electricity bills.

When selling houses too, generally people aren't going to be paying extra just because solar panels are installed.

Unbelievable! I can’t believe they tried to negotiate you down. I’m glad it turned out okay? (I hope)

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 151
  • -Received: 547
« Reply #19 on: May 06, 2019, 03:04:27 PM »
Do people even consider the previous Nevada ruling? What if the energy companies lobby the Board is to change the rules in Cali.

If?

They successfully did it multiple times already.  They changed to include minimum charges.  They changed the buy back rate to be a fraction of the market rate.    They changed to shift everyone to TOU metering.  They changed new installations to include certification they do not produce excess electricity.

You all got your California Climate Credit on your gas bill correct?  LOL.

Maybe they'll bring back the TTA charges and the mandated 10% reduction...

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #20 on: May 06, 2019, 06:10:59 PM »
Do people even consider the previous Nevada ruling? What if the energy companies lobby the Board is to change the rules in Cali.

If?

They successfully did it multiple times already.  They changed to include minimum charges.  They changed the buy back rate to be a fraction of the market rate.    They changed to shift everyone to TOU metering.  They changed new installations to include certification they do not produce excess electricity.

You all got your California Climate Credit on your gas bill correct?  LOL.

Maybe they'll bring back the TTA charges and the mandated 10% reduction...

Good post. For the common person to understand. There was a bigger subsidy and also the shift people to the time of use.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 614
  • -Received: 571
« Reply #21 on: May 06, 2019, 06:17:12 PM »
I am putting panels up for the mere fact that I am not beholdened to Edison...new Cal law allows them to cut power when there is high fire risk/danger...which could literally be every day. 

Also, electric vehicles are going to be the norm...why not get 30% rebate for it.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2019, 06:46:29 PM »
I am putting panels up for the mere fact that I am not beholdened to Edison...new Cal law allows them to cut power when there is high fire risk/danger...which could literally be every day. 

Also, electric vehicles are going to be the norm...why not get 30% rebate for it.

So your planning to go off the grid?

Offline daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 252
  • -Received: 269
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2019, 08:08:23 PM »
4KW is a small system. I am doubtful you have anywhere near 100% offset with an electric car if you had a system that size. California probably averages 5 hours of sun a day throughout the year. That's only 7300 kWh (not accounting for losses) which is not that much for a house without an electric car. We barely use air condition and if you remove our 2 electric cars from the equation we're probably averaging just around 7000 kWh annually.

My average daily usage over the past few years has varied from 12 to 20 kwh.  A 4kw system would be adequate for me.  I would rather be a bit over and pay for a few kwh per month, rather than get a larger system.   It'll be a serious consideration when I replace my shingles, which won't be for a while.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2019, 07:23:17 AM »

Unless your off the grid or have the power bank. Then you are acceptable to what you mentioned.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2663
  • -Received: 4017
  • 3CWG
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2019, 07:57:42 AM »

So who you going with?

I'm with you on an EV, once you drive one, it's hard to go back to a gas or even non plug-in hybrid.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:01 AM »

So who you going with?

I'm with you on an EV, once you drive one, it's hard to go back to a gas or even non plug-in hybrid.

We went to Tesla because we were already at the Tesla place.  They took a lot longer than expected with the HOA and approval process with Irvine.  Set to get them on this month.   We are also getting two batteries so we will covered if there is a power issue.

I also priced it with SolarRun and the pricing is basically the same.   I heard Solarrun has better service.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2019, 08:28:47 AM »

Unless your off the grid or have the power bank. Then you are acceptable to what you mentioned.

I am getting two power banks to have full backup...so hopefully off the grid.

Online eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2019, 08:36:13 AM »

So what’s the estimate time for you that the system will break even.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2019, 08:41:05 AM »

So what’s the estimate time for you that the system will break even.

That's hard to say...we don't use much electricity now because we were pretty frugal but with one EV (maybe two) and growing kids, I am thinking that it will go way up.  I am thinking that it would be like like 5 to 8 years to break even...but then I'm covered for the future.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2021, SimplePortal