Oxford Academy nabs no. 2 spot on California best high schools report

irvinehomeowner said:
Still amazes me that all Irvine high schools are top 200 (including Beckman, I assume Portola doesn't qualify yet).

Absolute...a lot of people don't realize that Irvine do not have magnet schools.  They prefer to spread out the students across the district. 

Whitney High School is our pride...our hopes and dreams abound. Whitney's family by our side with friendships we have found! Strive for nothing but the best for here we'll surely find...memories to last a lifetime. HAIL TO WHITNEY HIGH!

Still remember my alma mater song ...haha ingrained into my brain through brainwashing.

Several spots behind Northwood High is La Quinta High in Westminster.

Regardless of school districts, locations and family income, the common theme of non chartered schools at the top of the list are schools with predominant Asian and Indian population.

irvinehomeshopper said:

Regardless of school districts, locations and family income, the common theme of non chartered schools at the top of the list are schools with predominant Asian and Indian population.

A little misleading. You have to take a test to get into that school.

https://www.laquintahs.org/apps/pages/index.jsp?uREC_ID=242565&type=d&pREC_ID=560842

La Quinta high school is a public high school in Westminster and it is not a charter or magnet school. No examination is required for registration. Students must live within the district boundary.

La Quinta High in Palm Springs is a magnet school.

eyephone said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

A little misleading. You have to take a test to get into that school.

I was talking about OA. (name of thread)

https://oxford.auhsd.us/Oxford/76087-Acceptance.html

Selection Process

Based upon the Oxford Academy Entrance Exam results, 29 students are selected in rank order from each of the eight junior high attendance areas in the Anaheim Union High School District. Therefore, there are 232 openings for 7th grade.

Students entering the 8th and 9th grades are also selected in rank order, based on exam scores, from each of the eight junior high attendance areas in the Anaheim Union High School District. A limited number of spaces are available each year as Oxford Academy aims to maintain an en enrollment of 200 students in each of the 7th, 8th and 9th grades.

irvinehomeshopper said:

So if I put my kids in a predominantly Asian high school, does that mean they are getting a better education?

Liar Loan said:
irvinehomeshopper said:

So if I put my kids in a predominantly Asian high school, does that mean they are getting a better education?

Depends on how you define better education? Is it the teachers? Is it your peers? Being with predominantly Asians tends to drive up competition and work/study ethic in schools. I can attest to this while attending Cerritos High for 1 year and then Whitney High for 3 years (ranked #1 nationally at the time). Huge difference in study body when it came to education.

Back