Transferring to non-home school within IUSD?

snabigail

What are the chances of getting into your school choice if you're on the waiting list for IUSD? We are in the IUSD system, but wanted to do a "school choice" transfer. Not sure what the wait list is like for getting into a middle school.

snabigail said:
What are the chances of getting into your school choice if you're on the waiting list for IUSD? We are in the IUSD system, but wanted to do a "school choice" transfer. Not sure what the wait list is like for getting into a middle school.

This is something that is literally unanswerable unless you had the data of how many spots are reserved for school if choice, how many applicants, how many students who are assigned to the school but won't be attending, etc. Too many unknown factors.

Difficult to answer but if your school choice is one that is not filled, aka one of the newer schools, it's much more likely.

Beacon Park elementary had this happen early on. Cadence park same thing right now.

Didn't stonegate elementary have something similar until it filled up and they had to kick out the woodbury kids?

Maserson said:
Difficult to answer but if your school choice is one that is not filled, aka one of the newer schools, it's much more likely.

Beacon Park elementary had this happen early on. Cadence park same thing right now.

Didn't stonegate elementary have something similar until it filled up and they had to kick out the woodbury kids?

Yes...Stonegate had woodbury and PS kids for awhile and then started phasing them out about 5 years ago. 

Based on what I heard (I have no school age kids) that if you get in one year with the lottery into your IUSD school of choice, you'll have to apply again the next year for the lottery, so essentially you must be extremely lucky for your kid to be at your school of choice outside your home district from K-6.

akkord said:
Based on what I heard (I have no school age kids) that if you get in one year with the lottery into your IUSD school of choice, you'll have to apply again the next year for the lottery, so essentially you must be extremely lucky for your kid to be at your school of choice outside your home district from K-6.

Once they?re enrolled, they get priority in the following years over new applicants.

You probably know more than me, not something I've ever researched.  This is what a parent told me when trying to enroll their kid in a different school for K for the upcoming fall year within IUSD.  Possible policy change or each IUSD school is different.  ???

bones said:
akkord said:

Once they?re enrolled, they get priority in the following years over new applicants.

Thanks all for your replies! I did call IUSD, they said it's a 50/50 chance, depending on the school. My child goes to Springbrook (but our homeschool is Eastshore), so we're scheduled to go to Lakeside. We were hoping to get into South Lake, as all her friends from Springbrook are attending that school. I know it's pretty competitive from K-6 (Stonegate, etc.), but wondered how competitive it is to get into middle schools around here.

snabigail said:
Thanks all for your replies! I did call IUSD, they said it's a 50/50 chance, depending on the school. My child goes to Springbrook (but our homeschool is Eastshore), so we're scheduled to go to Lakeside. We were hoping to get into South Lake, as all her friends from Springbrook are attending that school. I know it's pretty competitive from K-6 (Stonegate, etc.), but wondered how competitive it is to get into middle schools around here.

It's elementary school...let your kids have fun. 

Here is the picture from the early 1900 of 6-9 yr old oyster shuckers.
article-2119875-124E7372000005DC-584_964x1046.jpg

who has time for fun?
it's 2 hours of kumon a day and 1 hour of violin, so my kid can be top of the class... and get into a top college.

I get the feeling if you ain't doing this in Irvine, your kid is falling behind.  It's like warfare. 

Those 10/10 schools don't just happen, they take a lot of work.

Irvinecommuter said:
snabigail said:

It's elementary school...let your kids have fun. 

I think that's the point. OP wants their kids to be with their friends from elem going into middle school (Eastshore, the OP's home school feeds to Lakeside... the school the OP is currently going to, Springbrook, feeds to Southlake).

From what I remember, Southlake is not an impacted middle school (it used to be) so I think you have a good chance of getting your kid in. You've said you called IUSD, did you call Southlake? You have a good case because you want to keep your kid with the same kids so let them know that.

Good luck.

zubs said:
who has time for fun?
it's 2 hours of kumon a day and 1 hour of violin, so my kid can be top of the class... and get into a top college.

Slacker, you'll barely make CS with that light weight schedule.

Back