Robots

Tax pro today article: Should robots be taxed?

A new report urges against the taxation of robots, with the warning that any such policy would stifle innovation ? an oft-used argument against taxation of most tech-related capital goods. However, the rise of robots has not had the clear-cut, expected results the world might have hoped for, complicating the tax question.
https://www.taxprotoday.com/opinion/should-robots-be-taxed?

I say no tax on robots.

I say robots will build future TIC homes. Maybe Portola Springs 20 will be built with all robots.

Andrew Yang is proposing a VAT for automation and technology.  Totally okay with that. 

There are sales tax and registration fees for cars...didn't stop cars from becoming a thing.

Also...taxes and fees for airplane tickets.

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
I say robots will build future TIC homes. Maybe Portola Springs 20 will be built with all robots.

tax or no tax on robots?

Tax on the robot itself or on the owner of the robot?

Some say Robot owners should get taxes for taking jobs away.

Hmm.. I don't know.
I don't agree with paying tax on my own home every year. Like we don't pay tax on a computer we own. I would understand if I need to pay when I buy or at the end of the first year of owning of the home, but we are required to pay every year. BUT I'm not on ekonomy or financial or governmental organization or whatsoever so I'm sure there are good reasons why they make us pay property taxes every year.

Also I would assume most home builders use illegal aliens to build the actual homes. For example, if TIC hires 10 undocumented residents to build Delano (I know, I know, I'm just using as example), do those 10 people pay the tax? Or do TIC pay tax on hiring those 10 people? I'm sure TIC hires a vendor that hires someone who hire undocumented people so it's not really TIC's business to worry about, but you get the idea.

If we apply the same for robots, while I don't agree to pay the tax on my robot I own, I would assume eventually we're going to have to if they do perform some kind of work.

Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:

tax or no tax on robots?

Hmm.. I don't know.
I don't agree with paying tax on my own home every year. Like we don't pay tax on a computer we own. I would understand if I need to pay when I buy or at the end of the first year of owning of the home, but we are required to pay every year. BUT I'm not on ekonomy or financial or governmental organization or whatsoever so I'm sure there are good reasons why they make us pay property taxes every year.

Also I would assume most home builders use illegal aliens to build the actual homes. For example, if TIC hires 10 undocumented residents to build Delano (I know, I know, I'm just using as example), do those 10 people pay the tax? Or do TIC pay tax on hiring those 10 people? I'm sure TIC hires a vendor that hires someone who hire undocumented people so it's not really TIC's business to worry about, but you get the idea.

If we apply the same for robots, while I don't agree to pay the tax on my robot I own, I would assume eventually we're going to have to if they do perform some kind of work.

So you would agree on a 90% tax? (Like AOC and Gates)

eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:
Mety said:

tax or no tax on robots?

Hmm.. I don't know.

I don't. But I'm afraid we will have to. 90%? Man, that sounds as bad or even worse than 2% increase of MR.

eyephone said:
Full disclosure: I have an iRobot device at home (saves time)

See, that's the thing. Where do we draw the line? Why are we paying taxes on cars, homes, and those big stuff every year but not on computers, washers and even that iRobot thing you have? I'm sure it's because those property taxes are used for the community and the country services, but just the idea of paying taxes on a home that's paid off kind of sucks. But it is what it is.

eyephone said:

I think you are confusing Andrew Yang with AOC.

Yang is for a Value Added Tax (10%). It's a consumption tax. He plans to use that to fund his freedom dividend (UBI)

I am pro VAT. I think we need to evolve to taxing consumption not production (like income tax)

AOC is for wealthy tax. It's stupid because it's just talking points. Billionaires are too smart to have an taxable event. It does not matter if you set it to 99%.

Kenkoko said:
Yang is for a Value Added Tax (10%). It's a consumption tax. He plans to use that to fund his freedom dividend (UBI)

I am pro VAT. I think we need to evolve to taxing consumption not production (like income tax)

Agree.

Although we know the rich will figure out a way to hide consumption. :)

Quartz Article (2017): The robot that takes your job should pay taxes, says Bill Gates

Robots are taking human jobs. But Bill Gates believes that governments should tax companies? use of them, as a way to at least temporarily slow the spread of automation and to fund other types of employment.

It?s a striking position from the world?s richest man and a self-described techno-optimist who co-founded Microsoft, one of the leading players in artificial-intelligence technology.

In a recent interview with Quartz, Gates said that a robot tax could finance jobs taking care of elderly people or working with kids in schools, for which needs are unmet and to which humans are particularly well suited. He argues that governments must oversee such programs rather than relying on businesses, in order to redirect the jobs to help people with lower incomes. The idea is not totally theoretical: EU lawmakers considered a proposal to tax robot owners to pay for training for workers who lose their jobs, though on Feb. 16 the legislators ultimately rejected it.

?You ought to be willing to raise the tax level and even slow down the speed? of automation, Gates argues. That?s because the technology and business cases for replacing humans in a wide range of jobs are arriving simultaneously, and it?s important to be able to manage that displacement. ?You cross the threshold of job replacement of certain activities all sort of at once,? Gates says, citing warehouse work and driving as some of the job categories that in the next 20 years will have robots doing them.
https://qz.com/911968/bill-gates-the-robot-that-takes-your-job-should-pay-taxes/

Using his logic. We should tax anything that takes away jobs. (But I think it helps out society.) ATM, vending machines, automated car washes, iRobot device (So you want a business to open 24 hours to sell something? There are business that are open 24 hours, but not all businesses can realistically open 24 hours.
Let?s take the ATM machine. Do you expect people to go to the bank to deposit or withdraw cash? Should there be a tax for bank apps? Since you can scan a check instead of going to the bank or atm to deposit a check.)

I can go on and on...

irvinehomeowner said:
Agree.

Although we know the rich will figure out a way to hide consumption. :)

There will always be loopholes. But VAT is much harder to dodge because it is taxed at every stage of production. Also you can modify VAT tax rate  to exempt or lessen the burden on consumer staples and really ramp it up on luxury items like yachts.

eyephone said:
Using his logic. We should tax anything that takes away jobs.  ATM, vending machines, automated car washes, iRobot device (come on!)

I disagree with Bill Gates. We should seriously move to consumption tax like VAT. VAT by itself is not perfect but combined with UBI will be the best possible remedy going forward.

Mety said:
eyephone said:

See, that's the thing. Where do we draw the line? Why are we paying taxes on cars, homes, and those big stuff every year but not on computers, washers and even that iRobot thing you have? I'm sure it's because those property taxes are used for the community and the country services, but just the idea of paying taxes on a home that's paid off kind of sucks. But it is what it is.

that's not what we are talking about...we are talking up putting a tax on the producers of the robots or the product of those robots.  For example, you could put a tax on every mile that is made by a self-driving truck or a tax on every automatic kiosks installed.

Irvinecommuter said:
Mety said:
eyephone said:

that's not what we are talking about...we are talking up putting a tax on the producers of the robots or the product of those robots.  For example, you could put a tax on every mile that is made by a self-driving truck or a tax on every automatic kiosks installed.

So do self-driving trucks or the automatic kiosks pay the tax?
Or is it talking about the owner of those paying the tax?

Back