LinkedIn

socal78

I'm old & uncool. What are your guys' thoughts on LinkedIn? I do not have a LinkedIn page but am thinking of making one. Is LinkedIn still a popular thing or is it the Myspace of social media sites? I read somewhere that it is often used as more of a dating site for career-minded individuals rather than a networking tool. If that's the case, I don't want to do it, but is that even true?

Also, I am thinking of leaving an endorsement for a couple people. One of them is terrible at management, imo. But in a love-your-enemy type of way, I want to try really hard to find a way to say something nice yet truthful. How does this sound...

This person is unnecessarily confrontational, with no concern for collateral damage = They are a fearless leader

This person loves money and treats employees like discarded trash= They are financially savvy.

This person robs others of their dignity, has no people skills, sucks at communication, is demanding and ungrateful, only knows one way of managing and that's by old school top-down management style. This person doesn't have the foggiest idea how their department actually runs, is disengaged and makes ignorant decisions based on what the loudest person in the room, i.e. the bully, wants = Uhhhh, ? ? ? ? ? ? I'm still working on this one.

SoCal said:
I'm old & uncool. What are your guys' thoughts on LinkedIn? I do not have a LinkedIn page but am thinking of making one. Is LinkedIn still a popular thing or is it the Myspace of social media sites? I read somewhere that it is often used as more of a dating site for career-minded individuals rather than a networking tool. If that's the case, I don't want to do it, but is that even true?

Also, I am thinking of leaving an endorsement for a couple people. One of them is terrible at management, imo. But in a love-your-enemy type of way, I want to try really hard to find a way to say something nice yet truthful. How does this sound...

This person is unnecessarily confrontational, with no concern for collateral damage = They are a fearless leader

This person loves money and treats employees like discarded trash= They are financially savvy.

This person robs others of their dignity, has no people skills, sucks at communication, is demanding and ungrateful, only knows one way of managing and that's by old school top-down management style. This person doesn't have the foggiest idea how their department actually runs, is disengaged and makes ignorant decisions based on what the loudest person in the room, i.e. the bully, wants = Uhhhh, ? ? ? ? ? ? I'm still working on this one.

I have LinkedIn, but I don't use it at all I even forgot my password. But my co-workers said they saw job postings there and applied here so I guess it kind of works for some people. I would think it works for younger people who would hop around here and there raising their salaries and so on. I haven't heard about the dating thing so that's new. I heard many people use Instagram to promote their business also.

For leaving endorsement, I personally wouldn't leave any comment especially if you are not going to comment something nice. If they asked you to do it then yeah, I guess you kind of have to do it. I still wouldn't say anything negative. Maybe there is one thing that they're good at? :D  I would first personally approach him/her in person to talk to if they need to be addressed of something instead of leaving endorsement that's kinda of permanent. But honestly, have you heard of anyone being so awesome and perfect in their managing that everyone loves? I think more and more we get to know someone, we are more prone to get disappointed no matter what. Welcome to the club.

SoCal said:

They are not a micro manager. :)

SoCal said:

If your job/field doesn't really need linkedin accounts, I recommend not getting an account.  Same with facebook or other social media sites (use an alias if you want).  The less searchable online history (in your name) the better.

If your information is already out online, you can request to have some removed or redacted.  Some can be changes like full real name to initials and home address to PO box address.  Opt out of people search sites.

momopi said:
SoCal said:

If your job/field doesn't really need linkedin accounts, I recommend not getting an account.  Same with facebook or other social media sites (use an alias if you want).  The less searchable online history (in your name) the better.

If your information is already out online, you can request to have some removed or redacted.  Some can be changes like full real name to initials and home address to PO box address.  Opt out of people search sites.

I agree with momopi here. I don't like social media (mainly LI, FB, IG) because first, they tend waste so much time. If you are self-controlled and can manage time no problem then sure it will be fine. But I found myself wasting time so I don't do those anymore.

And second, like momopi said it just has too much potential to expose your personal security information. BTW, what happened to LI and FB security leaks? No one ever talks about those anymore while I'm sure many hackers might posses your personal information by now.

Third, it's a very me-centered thing. But if that's your thing, go for it.

Lol, thanks for the laugh, Socal. To 'elder millenials' like me, its been a portal to look at job postings and maybe hear from recruiters/ alumni. Its also supposed to help with seeking informational interviews from more experienced people in the field. Have been out of the social media game the last few years though. Came across a less serious take on LI- https://slate.com/technology/2019/04/linkedin-stalking-self-loathing-social-media-envy.html
LinkedIn is where we go to see that everyone is having more success than us

We look at LinkedIn profiles for all the candidates we're considering at my job, especially entry level people. We like to see that they've "liked" us and similar companies - shows they are aware of the industry and have probably done some basic research. Sometimes also folks have stuff on there that's not on their resume which provides helpful context. (Oh - during that empty year on their resume they volunteered with X, that makes more sense)

I actually got my current job through LinkedIn. I talked to someone at a networking event but didn't get her card. I was able to find her on LinkedIn and connect with her, which led to my interview at my current job :)

I think it's a useful site if you're actively job hunting or recruiting at your current job. If not, probably not necessary!

You make sure the person likes your company in order to consider them as a candidate?

moc said:
We look at LinkedIn profiles for all the candidates we're considering at my job, especially entry level people. We like to see that they've "liked" us and similar companies - shows they are aware of the industry and have probably done some basic research. Sometimes also folks have stuff on there that's not on their resume which provides helpful context. (Oh - during that empty year on their resume they volunteered with X, that makes more sense)

I actually got my current job through LinkedIn. I talked to someone at a networking event but didn't get her card. I was able to find her on LinkedIn and connect with her, which led to my interview at my current job :)

I think it's a useful site if you're actively job hunting or recruiting at your current job. If not, probably not necessary!

eyephone said:
You make sure the person likes your company in order to consider them as a candidate?

moc said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, that?s pretty stupid.

qwerty said:
eyephone said:

moc said:

I was thinking the same thing.

Yeah, that?s pretty stupid.

My exact words were "we like to see" not "we require" or even "we expect". It's not a requirement or an expectation, just a bonus. We definitely consider people regardless of specifically if they liked us on LinkedIn. We look at the whole picture: resume, cover letter, other materials we ask for, and yes - social media.

I work in a small/niche industry and we prefer (but don't require!) candidates that have done their research and follow our work. I don't see how this is stupid.

moc: that?s good to know. However, I think your expectation of people liking your company is questionable.
Because many people use LinkedIn to connect outside and inside of work. On that note, let?s say a person like company x. (Keep in mind that person might be connected to the VP, President, managers, coworkers, and even the CEO.)
Honestly some people don?t care. But some might if they get a notification or noticed you liked your competitor company. (raise an eyebrow)

eyephone said:
moc: that?s good to know. However, I think your expectation of people liking your company is questionable.
Because many people use LinkedIn to connect outside and inside of work. On that note, let?s say a person like company x. (Keep in mind that person might be connected to the VP, President, managers, coworkers, and even the CEO.)
Honestly some people don?t care. But some might they get a notification or noticed you liked your competitor company.

I will repeat: It's not a requirement or an expectation

I have no expectation.

I'm sorry but I can't help but feel frustrated because it feels like you are not actually reading what I am writing, but passing judgement/condemnation on something I did not say. I suppose that is the internet in a nutshell. That's ok - I was just hoping to provide some context for how I use and have used LinkedIn in the past. Hopefully what I said was helpful to the person who asked the question.

moc said:
eyephone said:
Honestly some people don?t care. But some might they get a notification or noticed you liked your competitor company.

I will repeat: It's not a requirement or an expectation

I have no expectation.

I'm sorry but I can't help but feel frustrated because it feels like you are not actually reading what I am writing, but passing judgement/condemnation on something I did not say. I suppose that is the internet in a nutshell. That's ok - I was just hoping to provide some context for how I use and have used LinkedIn in the past. Hopefully what I said was helpful to the person who asked the question.

It must have been someone else that wrote:
?We like to see that they've "liked" us?

Also, I?m not the only one that questioned it.

Thanks eyephone. You are right - I think it was more qwerty's comment than yours that made me feel judged. I'm sorry if you felt like my frustration was totally directed at you. It's not, but I do feel like you are not actually reading my what I'm saying.

I posted the following:

My exact words were "we like to see" not "we require" or even "we expect". It's not a requirement or an expectation, just a bonus.

I think what I said was clear. Your next post following me saying it is not an expectation said "I think your expectation of people liking your company is questionable." Then you said " It must have been someone else that wrote: We like to see that they've "liked" us?."  This is the cause of my frustration.

One thing I'm hesitant about with LinkedIn is it revealing your age. Idk if it will allow you to enter your work history and education sans-dates but hopefully so because those things will date you and could cost an opportunity. Sure, age discrimination is illegal. But it happens all the time and proving it could be difficult. For example, where I work now, the manager routinely makes not-so-subtle remarks about wanting young people with fresh ideas. The older people (I'm talking 75+, which I find weird, btw) are overlooked for opportunities and have been for at least the past decade. Even with me, though, it turns out two managers thought I was 8 years younger than I actually am and have not started a family yet. Surprise! Maybe they didn't get what they thought they were getting when they hired me. I am afraid that I have shot myself in the foot by telling anyone my real age. I didn't even tell them. One of their assistants and I were just having a casual conversation and it came up. She blabbed to everyone. I have nothing to hide and will not lie but nobody is owed an explanation either.

The simple hard truth is who you know is bigger than ever in the modern age.  Even casually know, aka, you know someone just good enough to have them pass your info to someone they good enough at the company is, IMHO, better than the other routes sans actually knowing someone.  An actual live person is far more likely to review your stuff than the other routes.

And no, you're not crazy, ageism is rampant in the office.

I made a LI account back around 2006 since all the cool kids in B-school were doing it.  I haven't updated it since. 

Nothing better than seeing a profile that starts with results driven leader....

Isn?t everyone trying to get the job done? Do people really buy shit like that? Apologies to anyone who has ?results driven? in their profile :)

I?d rather someone have in their profile something like this: dont love what I do but it pays the bills. I?m good enough at what I do, sometimes I do just enough to get by, other times I do great work. Depends on how big my bonus was/is going to be.

Something honest would be refreshing to see instead of all that buzz word bullshit

Back