termites?

kpatnps

Wondering if anyone has any experience with doing some spot treatments for termites in the attic.  Does home need to be tented?  Approximate cost?  What solutions to use (orange oil, etc) 

TIA

kpatnps said:
Wondering if anyone has any experience with doing some spot treatments for termites in the attic.  Does home need to be tented?  Approximate cost?  What solutions to use (orange oil, etc) 

TIA

Don't waste your time with spot treatment.  I did spot treatment and it took care of the area for about 6 months and then I saw another kick-out hole from the termites about 6 feet away.  Once you see active termites, they are embedded in your housing structure.  It's best to just get your house tented and to be done with it.  There is a lot of competition in the area so tenting is not as expensive as it used to be.

Depends on where the termites are located, if they are on the eves of the home or trellis then spot treatment may be fine.  But if they are in the attic in several places then it may be best to fumigate but contact a licensed/bond termite company to do an inspection.  Get quotes from 2-3 companies for tenting.

irvinehomeowner said:
My relatives did the thermal treatment. No tent and they didn't have to leave the house.

Will see how it holds up.

I got quotes from 2 termite companies for my Tyrone listing in Sherman Oaks for both tenting and thermal heat treatment.  The tenting provided a 2 year warranty while the thermal heat treatment only provided a 1 year warranty.  The buyer was insisting on the tenting so that's what we went with....the price delta was around $1,500.

USCTrojanCPA said:
irvinehomeowner said:
My relatives did the thermal treatment. No tent and they didn't have to leave the house.

Will see how it holds up.

I got quotes from 2 termite companies for my Tyrone listing in Sherman Oaks for both tenting and thermal heat treatment.  The tenting provided a 2 year warranty while the thermal heat treatment only provided a 1 year warranty.  The buyer was insisting on the tenting so that's what we went with....the price delta was around $1,500.

I'll ask next time I see them but I believe they also got a 2 year and I think thermal was cheaper. I think the company was Ecola(?). 

One other side benefit, no risk of broken roof tiles that you may get with tenting.

Warranty is a bit of a joke for termites.  Either the termites are dead or they are not after treatment.  If they are not, you will still see the kick-out holes within a year.  New colonies will only show up after about 5-7 years.  Any additional warranty after a year does not really offer you anything extra.

Another tip is to call the fumigation company and get a quote directly.  Termite companies are just middle men who sell you the services of a fumigation company.  They are only required for certification in RE transactions.  If you know you have termites and want to get rid of them, skip the middle men.

Back