Buying (legit) software on EBay

eyephone

Any experience buying software on EBay?
Pros/cons

I previously bought a digital downloadable software. It came with its own key code and I registered it with the software company and it worked!

I just bought a phone that was clearly a clone when I got it...returned it and getting my money back.

Buying another one from a much more legit seller for a little more.

I think the rating system is pretty darn good and there are multiple levels of protection now (Ebay, Paypal, Credit Card).

I've purchased Windows and MS Office keys from ebay for years.  My friends who run small companies dump their retired/out of warranty Dell's at my doorstep minus the hard drive (went to a shredder).  So I install small SSD and fresh copy of Windows and give the computers away.  So far nobody complained of the license key from ebay expiring.

It's amazing that my doctor/dentist friends who make much more $ than me tend to buy the cheapest PC's.  The recycled 5 year old desktops I give them are almost always faster and better.  My dentist was still using P4 running Windows XP.

How do they sell it at a good price with valid register keys?

momopi said:
I've purchased Windows and MS Office keys from ebay for years.  My friends who run small companies dump their retired/out of warranty Dell's at my doorstep minus the hard drive (went to a shredder).  So I install small SSD and fresh copy of Windows and give the computers away.  So far nobody complained of the license key from ebay expiring.

It's amazing that my doctor/dentist friends who make much more $ than me tend to buy the cheapest PC's.  The recycled 5 year old desktops I give them are almost always faster and better.  My dentist was still using P4 running Windows XP.

eyephone said:

momopi said:

I was told by one seller that they're OEM/bundle licenses.

momopi said:
eyephone said:

momopi said:

I was told by one seller that they're OEM/bundle licenses.

for another country?

I?m just guessing potentially closeouts that they can?t sell and it?s sold on the secondary market.

Corporate or volume keys get sold too and these get deactivated by Microsoft. I think you are getting what you are paying for and sometime it may go wrong.

For people working in bigger companies, Microsoft can sometime offer cheap licenses to employees. I think we paid $15 for Office.

aren't you guys afraid that software bought on ebay or non-trusted source could potentially have been modified to add malware or tracking stuff that can be embeded in your computer ?

GH said:
aren't you guys afraid that software bought on ebay or non-trusted source could potentially have been modified to add malware or tracking stuff that can be embedded in your computer ?

The software in question is downloaded directly from Microsoft.  Only the registration key is from the seller.

Back