Author Topic: Solar Installation During Construction vs Retrofit  (Read 445 times)

Offline tony

• Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 0
Solar Installation During Construction vs Retrofit
« on: April 02, 2019, 04:13:39 PM »
Hello,

My wife and I are purchasing a new home and there is an option to get solar while the home is being built. SunPower is quoting $17,593 for a 4kW X-series panel system. I'm still trying to gather some more retrofit quotes from SunPower and LG, but it seems that retrofitting might be cheaper. For comparison, Tesla quoted an early estimate (because the home is not built yet) of $14,600 for a 4kW system.

Does anyone have any experiences/opinions about getting a solar panel installed during construction vs retrofitting after the home is built?

Offline Dresden215

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 14
  • -Received: 44
Re: Solar Installation During Construction vs Retrofit
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2019, 07:10:18 PM »
I chose to do my SunPower panels during construction. If I had done it after COE I would forfeit my warranty on my roof. Since I moved in during the rainy season, I didn’t want to risk it.

Verify if your builder voids the roof warranty if you chose to do the panels on your own.

Offline Cares

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Received: 40
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2019, 08:15:20 PM »
I chose to do my SunPower panels during construction. If I had done it after COE I would forfeit my warranty on my roof. Since I moved in during the rainy season, I didn’t want to risk it.

Verify if your builder voids the roof warranty if you chose to do the panels on your own.

Pretty much all solar companies (reputable ones) will offer 20-25 year roof warranty. It would supersede builder warranty.

The only benefit of adding solar during construction is that you can amortize the cost of it on a year 30 loan. The cost of solar adds to your property tax base though.

Personally I would do it after taking possession from the builder.

Offline tony

• Thanks
  • -Received: 0
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2019, 10:11:39 PM »
Thanks for the responses. I asked the builder and they confirmed it would void the roof warranty.

As for adding to the property tax base, you can fill out a BOE-64, "initial purchaser claim for solar energy system new construction exclusion" so that it wouldn't get added to the assessed value of the property. Even if this form didn't exist, I was under the impression that retrofitting solar panels would also add to the property tax base when the county reassesses the property? At least, that's what the assessor told me when I called their office.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: New Development: PS-5 by lnc
[Today at 05:13:43 PM]

Re: Musick jail is finally poised to grow by Compressed-Village
[Today at 04:32:32 PM]

Re: Musick jail is finally poised to grow by aquabliss
[Today at 03:39:25 PM]