Will Irvine build a 6th High School?

Hi Everyone!

Just curious--do you all think the city of Irvine is going to build a 6th High School? We live in Woodbury, and though my kids are still young and we have a few years before our oldest will go to high school, I'm starting to wonder about zoning.

Looks like Portola High school serves a huge area--residents from Portola Springs, Lambert Ranch, Altair, all the Great Park neighborhoods (won't that have something like 10,000 homes when it's built out?), and Woodbury. I'm just not sure how Portola will accommodate so many students.

I really don't have a strong preference on high school since I'm sure all the Irvine schools are fine, but I'd hate to be in a situation where my kids have to switch schools in their junior or senior year because of rezoning.

What do you think will happen to zoning in East Irvine? I wonder if Woodbury will end up back at Irvine High eventually?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

My guess is yes.  Portola will take the bulk of the student load in Great Park while Northwood will take on OH and Stonegate/Eastwood.

They did projections for Portola and Northwood HS a few years back when they were redrawing lines and I believe both were projected to have 2000+ students in the near future. 
https://iusd.org/sites/default/files/documents/pdfs/hsboundaries03-04-14revised_1.pdf

I believe that a HS would make sense near Cypress Village.

The problem becomes what you do with older HS that serve areas that do not have many students...Irvine and Woodbridge are the two I am thinking about. 

Back