Electrician being bonded but not insured

shadyoc

So what?s the difference between being bonded versus being insured? I always thought that if the contractor was bonded it means they have insurance to protect the customer in case something happens. I really like this electrician and he said he is bonded but he is not insured. He explained to me that bonded means he?s covered up to $15,000 of work being performed and insurance would cover up to $100,000 and up

Bond is insurance to ensure you get money to finish a job or replace shitty work. You go through the bond provider directly. You should always confirm directly with the bond provider to make sure the coverage amount is appropriate and there an claims against the bond. You don?t want a bond of $10k on $100,000 job. Existing claims will reduce the amount available to you under a dispute.

General liability insurance is in case the damage your house. Ideally they will also have workers comp insurance. If one of their workers gets hurt in your house you don?t want to end up being liable under your insurance.

So if they only have $15k bond coverage, does that mean they are only covered up to this amount if say, the chandelier fall and break?  If they damage my house, and it costs a few grand to fix, Will it be also covered under the bond or would they have to have general liability insurance (that he mentions that he doesn?t have)?

The max payout of the bond is the coverage amount, so only 15k. These bonds are commonly known as performance bonds. The bonds pay out to make sure the work is completed and completed to agreed specs.  So if they damage your house carrying their work equipment, etc, the bond will not cover it. That would be covered by the general insurance.

So let?s say they install a jbox to a joist and install the chandelier.  Let?s say a few months later, the chandelier falls and it breaks.  Who would be liable to pay for the chandelier?

It would depend on whether it was a shotty jbox install or whether the chandelier failed. If it was a bad install that caused the drop ten bond would definitely pay for a new jbox and installation. There may be incidental damage provisions that may cover the cost of a new chandelier but if he had general insurance on top of the bond you would be fully covered.

So I am wondering, do you homeowners make sure that any contractor is licensed, bonded and insured?  Or does it depend on the type of work being done?

i.e. painters, carpenters for wainscot and crown moulding,

Back