Author Topic: Tesla Model Y  (Read 47453 times)

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 128
Re: Tesla Model Y
« Reply #90 on: July 08, 2020, 09:19:23 AM »
I wonder if we'll see an EV Macan. The problem for Porsche is they will lose boatloads on any EV car they made. I just traded in a 2017 eGolf for my M3 as it was coming up to the end of the lease and VW didn't have another EV. Why? Because they lose huge $$ on every eGolf. Only Tesla has mastered how to eke out a profit with EVs, and that required billions of $$ in Obama green funding (i.e. taxpayer dollars). Unless the German taxpayers are willing to fund a similar endeavor Porsche will slow roll all EV development - they can't afford it.

EV adoption is coming slowly but surely, so at some point most car companies will pivot due to laws, regulations, etc.  If the EV Macan doesn't materialize, I'm still not getting a Tesla. 

As technology moves forward, I'd assume better pricing and efficiency too, there will be economies of scale and what VW learned from their previous EV platforms will help reduce future costs....My 10 yr old 65in plasma costed more than my 82in Samsung, but the Samsung runs way cooler and is brighter.

Offline woodburyowner

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 70
  • -Received: 162
« Reply #91 on: July 08, 2020, 09:44:47 AM »
I wonder if we'll see an EV Macan. The problem for Porsche is they will lose boatloads on any EV car they made. I just traded in a 2017 eGolf for my M3 as it was coming up to the end of the lease and VW didn't have another EV. Why? Because they lose huge $$ on every eGolf. Only Tesla has mastered how to eke out a profit with EVs, and that required billions of $$ in Obama green funding (i.e. taxpayer dollars). Unless the German taxpayers are willing to fund a similar endeavor Porsche will slow roll all EV development - they can't afford it.

eGolf was considered a "compliance" model for VW.  State and Federal laws have certain MPG mandates that force car manufacturers to take a hit on certain models so they can still sell higher profit margin (ie. gas guzzler) models in certain states.

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 390
  • -Received: 347
« Reply #92 on: July 08, 2020, 10:16:21 AM »

EV adoption is coming slowly but surely, so at some point most car companies will pivot due to laws, regulations, etc.  If the EV Macan doesn't materialize, I'm still not getting a Tesla. 

As technology moves forward, I'd assume better pricing and efficiency too, there will be economies of scale and what VW learned from their previous EV platforms will help reduce future costs....My 10 yr old 65in plasma costed more than my 82in Samsung, but the Samsung runs way cooler and is brighter.

Yes, I like to have more options for EV. Tesla looking cool at the beginning, and as the years goes by it becoming a boring factor for the X, 3 and even the Y.

2021 and 2022 will bring more bizzaz for EV. By then my lease will end and I will make a decision for EV.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2782
  • -Received: 4105
  • 3CWG
« Reply #93 on: July 08, 2020, 10:27:20 AM »
VW's ID series looks good... especially this Audi Q4 Fastback based on the ID4 platform:

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a33222611/audi-q4-sportback-e-tron-concept-revealed/

Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Given: 47
  • -Received: 178
« Reply #94 on: July 08, 2020, 10:32:35 AM »
Would be great if EV's have something bigger, 3 rows, seats more than 5... cyberminivan

I didn't care much for tesla's prior to the 3, but ever since owning one, it's great (just like how I felt about iphone vs android in the beginning, and quite happy with the iphone ever since owning one).

Offline best_potsticker_in_town

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 120
« Reply #95 on: July 08, 2020, 10:36:50 AM »
Car makers are announcing competing EV's by the day. Here's another one from Nissan: https://www.yahoo.com/news/nissans-answer-tesla-model-y-213545266.html

The problem is...go-to-market. Many of these are still concept cars and haven't actually hit the market.

Offline akkord

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 0
  • -Received: 128
« Reply #96 on: July 08, 2020, 12:15:47 PM »
Would be great if EV's have something bigger, 3 rows, seats more than 5... cyberminivan

I didn't care much for tesla's prior to the 3, but ever since owning one, it's great (just like how I felt about iphone vs android in the beginning, and quite happy with the iphone ever since owning one).

Doesnt the X have a 6 and 7 seater option?

Offline AW

• Thanks
  • -Given: 47
  • -Received: 178
« Reply #97 on: July 08, 2020, 12:42:00 PM »

Doesnt the X have a 6 and 7 seater option?
True...  but you won’t be able to fit anything else, bags, luggages, kids stuff etc, because of rear slope line for efficiency, I need something to accommodate more stuff.   
Cybertruck is the closest thing, watch out Irvine, it’ll be the new minivan

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #98 on: July 08, 2020, 01:44:20 PM »
I should know this off the top of my head but there are some 3 row SUVs coming out.

Too lazy to Goog.
I recommend:

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #99 on: July 11, 2020, 06:02:58 PM »
Tesla cuts Model Y price by $3k:

https://www.engadget.com/tesla-model-y-price-drop-215340622.html

Tesla just gave would-be Model Y buyers an unexpected treat: a sudden price drop. Electrek has discovered that Tesla lowered the cost of a Long Range AWD variant by $3,000 to $49,990 before taxes and incentives.

Nice.
I recommend:

Offline best_potsticker_in_town

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 4
  • -Received: 120
« Reply #100 on: July 11, 2020, 06:10:34 PM »
There's literally no reason to pre-order. When I pre-ordered, I locked in a price that was $1,500 lower than what it was selling for at time of delivery. So, I felt pretty good about the pre-order. But, they're now selling it for effectively $1,500 less than what I paid as an early adopter. Oh well...

Offline zubs

• Thanks
  • -Given: 86
  • -Received: 530
« Reply #101 on: July 13, 2020, 08:54:25 AM »
Cars like TVs like Solar systems get cheaper every year.
Whodathunk...

my 2019 solar system could have been bought for $3500 cheaper from tesla in 2020.

Much like 65" tvs are now going for $900 bucks?

One would think with all this money printing shit would get more expensive.

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 390
  • -Received: 347
« Reply #102 on: July 13, 2020, 09:18:41 AM »
Checked the Tesla forum on solar reviews, it’s less than stellar, more like down right cursing the support staffs. Cheaper may not always better.

Offline irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • 3CWG
« Reply #103 on: July 13, 2020, 12:22:54 PM »
I guess for the price drop, Tesla dropped the cheapest Y model they were planning to come out with.
I recommend:

Offline marmott

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 39
  • -Received: 95
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2020, 01:53:13 PM »
Anybody curious about the Ford Mach-e as a Model Y competitor?

My biggest concern getting in right now is how fast EVs keep improving year over year. You don't really get that with ICEs anymore but if I'm going to pay $40K+ on a car I'd like it to be relevant in 2 years. Or maybe I'm looking at the issue the wrong way.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: coronavirus by akula1488
[Yesterday at 10:54:58 PM]

Re: coronavirus by qwerty
[Yesterday at 09:47:32 PM]

Re: The Hypocrisy of Electric Vehicles by zovall
[Yesterday at 08:30:38 PM]

Re: coronavirus by zovall