Tesla Model Y

irvinehomeowner

S3XY is complete!
https://www.tesla.com/modely
https://finance.yahoo.com/news/tesla-unveils-model-y-suv-041050132.html

SAN FRANCISCO (Reuters) - Tesla Inc unveiled its Model Y electric sports utility vehicle on Thursday evening in California, promising a much-awaited crossover that will face competition from European car makers rolling out their own electric rivals.

Chief Executive Elon Musk said the compact SUV, built on the same platform as the Model 3, would first debut in a long-range version with a range of 300 miles (482 km) priced at $47,000.

A standard version, to be available sometime in 2021, would cost $39,000, with a 230-mile range. The vehicles can be configured to include 7 seats for an additional $3,000.

After the event, Tesla's website included a page to "design and order" the more expensive, long range version of the vehicle with rear-wheel drive, available next year. Ordering the car requires a $2,500 refundable deposit.

This is a pretty good price range for an all-electric high-tech SUV. But with many other automakers electrifying their model lines, it's now a race to see who can get their product out there quicker. One thing that Tesla still seems to do better is range, but there are cheaper EVs from Kia/Hyundai that get over 200 miles.

And I still think the PHEV market should be explored more for those who have range anxiety... best of both worlds until pure EVs really come down in price.

Agreed...that new Volvo is interesting to me.  They are electrifying their entire fleet.

Volkswagen is coming fast with its electric cars too. 

I now realize why Tesla made such a big impact...there was such a missing segment of the market for all-electric vehicle...the 40 mile golf carts and the psuedo electric cars were not great choices.

My $2500 is in for a Y. My HOV sticker will expire by end of 2021 so I might sell my 3 and upgrade to a Y. I've always been fond of hatchbacks.

The Model Y panoramic glass roof seems like a "cooker". Wonder if it will come with some kind of shading mechanism.

I think the Model S can be set up with jump seats and become a 6 seater, can't it?

My .02c

Does this look like a model 3 hatchback to anyone else?  How are those 3rd row passengers going to fit in this thing.  Built for kids I guess.

aquabliss said:
Does this look like a model 3 hatchback to anyone else?  How are those 3rd row passengers going to fit in this thing.  Built for kids I guess.

It precisely is a 3 hatchback. It's leveraging most of the same production line and tech to push out faster.

So anyone pre-order?

You can order one now for only $100 down.

First units roll off in March.

I don't know... all this criticism about Tesla but they seem to be doing things right.

It's my next big purchase item after solar last year.
But i'm not in a hurry.

Tesla is already struggling to service cars, can't imagine how it will be with Fisker.

I'm looking forward reviews of the Mach-e, I hope it's a decent alternative to the Y.

marmott said:
Tesla is already struggling to service cars, can't imagine how it will be with Fisker.

I'm looking forward reviews of the Mach-e, I hope it's a decent alternative to the Y.

Wait to the market gets flooded with electric cars...

Now that gas are heading lower for a awhile, some states already see below 2 dollars.

Will electric car and Tesla survive? Unless war break out with Iran turn into a full scale war, then maybe oil might spike higher.

There are so many more benefits to driving an EV than just the price of gas.

Every EV owner I've spoken to prefer them.

Anyone see an Tesla Ys on the road yet? They are shipping now.

The Y with 7 seats looks extremely crammed.  Been trying to find a decently priced used X.  New ones are too expensive.  But I feel like everyone in Irvine has a X.

I see more 3s than anything.

I?ll probably get the Y in 2021 if there isn?t anything better.

Still waiting for VW?s all-electric minvan. :)

I think I?d rather get a cybertruck instead of a used X...  really would like a cybervan if they ever make it

I would rock a performance model something or other, assuming I don't go broke in the upcoming depression.  I would need to clean out some parking spaces first though. 

I was seriously toying with the fantasy of getting a used porsche, then it was like Captain Obvious smacked me in the back of the head.  If I want performance, it's hard to beat a dual motor Tesla.

Back