Author Topic: Tesla Model Y  (Read 15328 times)

Online irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2521
  • -Received: 3866
  • 3CWG
Re: Tesla Model Y
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2020, 02:10:13 PM »
That's what insurance is for. :)

Isn't insurance for Tesla models more expensive than their luxury ICE counterpart?

Probably. Not a current Tesla owner... maybe one of the TI ballers can answer that. :)
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Offline Kenkoko

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 147
  • -Received: 233
« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2020, 02:32:30 PM »

Isn't insurance for Tesla models more expensive than their luxury ICE counterpart?

It's more expensive if you look at national average. But it's because of large price discrepancy between different insurance companies.

Tesla also started selling its own insurance last year (currently only available for Californians) at 20%-30% below national market average.

Tesla's new insurance also provides a rate discount on several portions of your overall premium based on your car’s level of autonomous driving capability.

Here's a good article on this subject

https://www.valuepenguin.com/tesla-car-insurance

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline Cares

• Real Estate Broker & Mortgage Loan Originator
  • O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 3
  • -Received: 112
« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2020, 09:18:19 PM »

Probably. Not a current Tesla owner... maybe one of the TI ballers can answer that. :)

I'm paying about $2000 annually for 2 Teslas with a good driving record and no points. I don't think it's too bad. Even if ICE luxury cars were cheaper to insure they are way more expensive to maintain and fuel cost.

Offline SoclosetoIrvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 81
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2020, 07:02:37 PM »
taking delivery tmr of a MSM Performance Y!
I've seen a blue one in irvine, haven't seen any MSM yet

i thought i was stuck with getting a 3, then elon got these Y's ready way ahead of schedule  ;D

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline SoclosetoIrvine

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 54
  • -Received: 81
« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2020, 09:45:42 PM »
back on topic regarding insurance
i was previously in a basic c300 (maybe $40k)

with covid-19 i was able adjust the miles driven to 5000/year so that helped alot
with the performance model y (almost $70k), my insurance went down about $60 every 6 months so I'll get a credit..
so i think it's a mix of less mileage with maybe good crash tests.. I'm a happy camper  ;D

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 340
  • -Received: 250
« Reply #35 on: May 09, 2020, 12:43:20 PM »
Tweet out by Elon,

Oh, oh, good buy Testla. See you in TX.

@elonmusk
Frankly, this is the final straw. Tesla will now move its HQ and future programs to Texas/Nevada immediately. If we even retain Fremont manufacturing activity at all, it will be dependen on how Tesla is treated in the future. Tesla is the last carmaker left in CA.

Offline lnc

• Thanks
  • -Given: 553
  • -Received: 1052
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »
Tesla is moving out of California!? Do It! Do It! Do It!

Offline aquabliss

• Thanks
  • -Given: 202
  • -Received: 755
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2020, 01:37:02 PM »
I wouldn’t mind following them to Plano/Frisco/Prosper.  Weather sucks but people are way nicer and the new neighborhoods are pretty awesome.  The spec homes there (standing inventory) already include lots of good upgrades.  Property tax is high but but no crazy Mello.

Online daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 221
  • -Received: 239
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2020, 04:19:43 PM »
It's good to have F-U money.  I think Musk is making a threat and the county will blink.  He has reasons to stay put too.

Offline Happiness

• Thanks
  • -Given: 445
  • -Received: 397
« Reply #39 on: May 09, 2020, 04:36:03 PM »
It's good to have F-U money.  I think Musk is making a threat and the county will blink.  He has reasons to stay put too.

I don't think it is a empty threat. Musk has a history of knowingly doing things against his own pecuniary interest to make a point.

Offline marmott

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 31
  • -Received: 67
« Reply #40 on: May 09, 2020, 05:45:03 PM »
Without everything that has happened in the last few weeks/months,  having your only factory in Fremont is quite odd. The are having to shuttle workers from central California because most of their factory employees are priced out in the bay: https://www.protocol.com/silicon-valley-tech-shuttles.

I think we are a few years away from them moving manufacturing away from Fremont. Let's not forget that the China factory has just started and I'm not sure they manufacture anything else than the M3. The Berlin factory has not been built yet. Fremont manufactures all 4 Tesla models and for having visited the factory (I highly recommend it) they invested a lot of money in it.

Online daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #41 on: May 09, 2020, 07:00:47 PM »
I don't think it is a empty threat. Musk has a history of knowingly doing things against his own pecuniary interest to make a point.

Not saying he wouldn't leave.  There are pros and cons.  He's on the cusp.  If the county walks it back I think he'll stay.  I don't think he wants his business HQs to be too geographically diverse.  He might be toying with the idea of moving everything to TX, but the space vehicle talent is largely in socal, so that's a big consideration. 

Offline Compressed-Village

• Thanks
  • -Given: 340
  • -Received: 250
« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2020, 05:25:58 PM »

Not saying he wouldn't leave.  There are pros and cons.  He's on the cusp.  If the county walks it back I think he'll stay.  I don't think he wants his business HQs to be too geographically diverse.  He might be toying with the idea of moving everything to TX, but the space vehicle talent is largely in socal, so that's a big consideration.

So does that mean that he has a spot already lined up for his factory either in Nevada or TX? With permits and production line already ramped up and filing out cars and trucks? Or is it another charade because productions of cars not meeting expectations. Moving is not that quick like packing a luggage and jump on an airplane and off you go.

And perhaps the most important thing is, will TSTL stock drop tomorrow because of his tweets?

Online irvinehomeowner

• The Unicorn Hunter
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2521
  • -Received: 3866
  • 3CWG
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2020, 06:03:24 PM »
Tesla already has a presence in Nevada with the Gigafactory.

It would not be hard to set up something in Texas.

But I doubt Elon would close Fremont.
Once you go 3-car garage... your junk can never go back.
3CWG: 3-Car Wide Garage
FCB: Foreign Cash Buyer
I recommend:
www.irvinerealtorsite.com
member: Soylent Green Is People (loans/refis)

Online daedalus

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2020, 07:21:58 PM »
He has no problem making cars in tents.  I'm sure more than a few cities/states would roll out the red (green) carpet.  Pity the workers laboring in a tent in the heat and humidity of [insert non-CA name here].

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Recent Posts

Re: Fresco @ Eastwood Village by fly
[Today at 09:12:42 PM]

Re: Fresco @ Eastwood Village by Irvine9
[Today at 08:59:37 PM]

Re: Fresco @ Eastwood Village by fly
[Today at 08:19:10 PM]

Re: Fresco @ Eastwood Village by Irvinehomeseeker