School for 145IQ 1st Grader in Irvine/Surrounding Cities?

Pokemon

Currently at a public IUSD elementary but they do not offer any advanced curriculum until the 4th grade. Would greatly appreciate ideas on how to challenge my child as well as network / find peers that he can play with.

Thanks.

Pegasus in HB markets itself as a gifted school.
The trilingual school in Costa Mesa teaches one or two grade levels above in certain subjects but you have to be ok with the language immersion piece.
Im general, smaller private schools will be able to tailor the academics to the child. And certain teaching philosophies like Montessori will also be more individualized.

Tustin Memorial Academy has immersion gifted program (APL/GATE) starting in first grade I believe.

Self contained all gifted classroom as opposed to pull out clusters of GATE kids in a regular classroom setting.

It is a lottery process to get in, and you must be a resident in the Tustin Unified School District the year before to participate in the lottery.

There are several private schools that teach a year ahead of the public school curriculum and provide resources for individual acceleration beyond the classroom wide curriculum.

In the Irvine area, you can consider Fairmont Private Schools in North Tustin which does accommodate as much acceleration in math and reading as the individual kid can handle (kid driven pace)

I was one of those 140s IQ kids--and got along just fine with "regular" kids as playmates growing up. 140s is not so off the charts that your kid won't be able to relate. Its probably better if they are in a school where they can have some enrichment/accelerated instruction and still have a chance to interact with regular population and not be totally sheltered.  Actually, I bet there's a higher than average percent of gifted kids in Irvine public schools that your child can be peers with, given that there are many highly educated parents here.

We were where you are about a decade  and half ago.  Kid with 155 IQ. looked at all options, some mentioned in this thread, including moving to LA for Mirman

Finally stayed in IRV, kid was fine at Turtle Rock elementary, attended AAPAS program.

In retrospect: Until 9th grade, its kinda pointless, the kid is the kid, they will do what they do.  All parent efforts only seem to contribute to burning the kid out.

Being bright just let him coast and have a real childhood - play in the backyard, dig for worms, chill.  Best decision we've made - happier, healthier child, and no difference in outcome as far as we can tell (success by any conventional measures) - and significant improvement in happiness, ability to be kind and empathetic and a secure, relaxed human being

There's benefit in not 'being challenged' all the time, and being bored a lot as a kid.

Just my 2c..its hard to make this decision, I get it - esp with the insanely competitive parents around, and wanting to give your kids 'the best'

ocbuyer said:
We were where you are about a decade  and half ago.  Kid with 155 IQ. looked at all options, some mentioned in this thread, including moving to LA for Mirman

Finally stayed in IRV, kid was fine at Turtle Rock elementary, attended AAPAS program.

In retrospect: Until 9th grade, its kinda pointless, the kid is the kid, they will do what they do.  All parent efforts only seem to contribute to burning the kid out.

Being bright just let him coast and have a real childhood - play in the backyard, dig for worms, chill.  Best decision we've made - happier, healthier child, and no difference in outcome as far as we can tell (success by any conventional measures) - and significant improvement in happiness, ability to be kind and empathetic and a secure, relaxed human being

There's benefit in not 'being challenged' all the time, and being bored a lot as a kid.

Just my 2c..its hard to make this decision, I get it - esp with the insanely competitive parents around, and wanting to give your kids 'the best'

Oops. Meant to thank this post and not the one above it. Great perspective. Thanks for sharing.  Wish more parents were like you :)

bones said:
ocbuyer said:

Oops. Meant to thank this post and not the one above it. Great perspective. Thanks for sharing.  Wish more parents were like you :)

If only one could afford a home in Irvine with an actual backyard to dig for worms...

WTTCHMN said:
bones said:
ocbuyer said:

If only one could afford a home in Irvine with an actual backyard to dig for worms...

what else would they find?
(Environmental issues?)

eyephone said:
WTTCHMN said:
bones said:
ocbuyer said:

what else would they find?
(Environmental issues?)

TCE left overs? JK. Hope that doesn't ever happen.

If only one could afford a home in Irvine in Turtle Rock.... ;D

Back