$400k to get into Yale

lnc said:
But $500k to get in USC is just stupid. 

Is it that hard to get in USC nowadays?  Besides the absurd amount they charge for their tuition, one need to spent half a million to cheat in order to get in? 

more on CNN:https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

best part is, the daughter is an influencer and a YouTuber who has said, multiple times, that she doesn't want to go to college.  She's just at USC for the parties.

bones said:
lnc said:

Is it that hard to get in USC nowadays?  Besides the absurd amount they charge for their tuition, one need to spent half a million to cheat in order to get in? 

more on CNN:https://www.cnn.com/2019/03/12/us/college-admission-cheating-scheme/index.html

best part is, the daughter is an influencer and a YouTuber who has said, multiple times, that she doesn't want to go to college.  She's just at USC for the parties.

I'm sure she is highly rated on the "personality factor" that makes for a good candidate

misme said:
bones said:
lnc said:

I'm sure she is highly rated on the "personality factor" that makes for a good candidate

Right. It?s USC. She prob woulda gotten in based on her YouTube channel and her parents? fame. Her parents got gouged.

Top 1% spending $400K trying to cheat the top 0.1% who spent $4+ million to donate new buildings to schools in exchange for kid's admission.

This girl looks very talented!!  I'd let her in my school.

Screenshot-2017-04-30-at-1.04.51-AM.png

Soylent Red and I know an over involved Dad who in 2017 put $100k plus of equipment and flooring in at a local University for a particular sport so that their child could go there. They warm the bench and do not play, but they did get into a good school with noooo problem.

It's too bad this process is repeated over and over and over again at colleges across this land. These thoughtless parents cheat real students out of a chance for a genuine opportunity for advancement. College admissions isn't a meritocracy, but an oligarchy today. That said, unless you're studying for a science/med degree, a college education is worthless. College itself isn't, just what they teach you there for classes like Sociology, and 19th century French Poetry. The benefit of college are the connections one makes and little else. IMHO

Was it worth spending $400k to get into Yale? Perhaps..... as long as you meet the right people in the process. The end evidently now justifies the means.

Also, some are saying "oh... you shouldn't dunk on the kids for stuff the parents did" Sorry that doesn't fly here. These are 18 year old persons who are well past the age of accountability. They knew exactly what their parents were doing, and in some cases actively participated. I don't feel sorry for them getting busted.

My .02c

The daughter already recouped some of the $500k. She had some sponcon from amazon for her dorm, a Sephora collab, clothing sponsorships, etc.  Maybe being a college student makes her more valuable to sponsors.

Holy crap! My daughter graduated from a second tier college and it is listed as one of the colleges being investigated. Why spend so much to scam second tier colleges. It is interesting that the offsprings of the wealthy aren?t into science so there is no point in scamming MIT or Cal Tech or may be both schools? sport programs suck so much so athleticism does not override academics.

Many years ago I posted about this guy?s operation and how he faked Facebook persona for his applicants legitimized with  ?likes? and followers and praise comments, fake oversea relief trips and several years of manufactured social media trails a scam trap the admission officers doing their google searches.

So they pay to fudge their grades and bought their way in. Then try to write off the bribe on their tax returns.

Soylent Green Is People said:
Soylent Red and I know an over involved Dad who in 2017 put $100k plus of equipment and flooring in at a local University for a particular sport so that their child could go there. They warm the bench and do not play, but they did get into a good school with noooo problem.

It's too bad this process is repeated over and over and over again at colleges across this land. These thoughtless parents cheat real students out of a chance for a genuine opportunity for advancement. College admissions isn't a meritocracy, but an oligarchy today. That said, unless you're studying for a science/med degree, a college education is worthless. College itself isn't, just what they teach you there for classes like Sociology, and 19th century French Poetry. The benefit of college are the connections one makes and little else. IMHO

Was it worth spending $400k to get into Yale? Perhaps..... as long as you meet the right people in the process. The end evidently now justifies the means.

Also, some are saying "oh... you shouldn't dunk on the kids for stuff the parents did" Sorry that doesn't fly here. These are 18 year old persons who are well past the age of accountability. They knew exactly what their parents were doing, and in some cases actively participated. I don't feel sorry for them getting busted.

My .02c

If you saw the FBI announcement before the news program shortened the clips further, the FBi spokesperson gaffed and literally said something along the lines of 'this isnt like building a building so the university looks favorably on your kids admission'

eyephone said:
So they pay to fudge their grades and bought their way in. Then try to write off the bribe on their tax returns.

They were talking about this on ESPN LA radio earlier today.

Back