Author Topic: $400k to get into Yale  (Read 4377 times)

Offline eyephone

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 312
  • -Received: 572
Re: $400k to get into Yale
« Reply #30 on: March 13, 2019, 01:48:10 PM »
I'd hire bones to be my college consultant.
I'd tip her to write my admissions essay about farting while being a woman.

A general statment. Welcome to the under world of college admissions!

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #31 on: March 13, 2019, 01:51:41 PM »
Is college coaching that helps or actually writes the essay legal for college admission? Is that a form of cheating?

In my opinion, by having someone writing an essay for you is a form of cheating. Someone told me that someone who writes the admission essay is like a form of cliff notes. Lol

Maybe the college admission formula should just be: gpa, sat scores, and others (such as volunteer work, sports, awards)
No essay should be considered.

Think of it his way. A student can hire someone with a PHD in English or whatever  to write the admission essay. It’s not fair for the rest of the applicants.

In addition, not all college consultants are equal. So you might waste your money on hiring someone because the other kids applying might hire someone that is far better. (My phd example - might even be a PhD student or professor doing a side gig. Not affiliated with the college that the applicant is applying to of course. At least I hope. Another thought came to my mind. They might hire an ex person that use to work for the admissions office. Not just any person. Let’s say a director of admissions. So that person knows what to write in an essay. If that’s the case the other applicants are really behind the curve.)

I bring up valid points. But no one is going to talk about it.

Ain’t no joke. I’ve seen ads of people with big extensive background offering college admission services.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #32 on: March 13, 2019, 01:58:31 PM »
delete
« Last Edit: March 13, 2019, 02:06:22 PM by eyephone »

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2061
  • -Received: 1635
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2019, 02:03:19 PM »
It's going to get a lot more interesting as more information comes out.  I'll have my popcorn ready.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Thanks
  • -Given: 528
  • -Received: 977
« Reply #34 on: March 13, 2019, 02:55:51 PM »
I do think the kids of these wealthy families do not have the stellar high school grades to get into the top colleges. A higher SAT or ACT could offset the negativity and remove potential doubts about the applicants’ academic ability.

However, excellent SAT and ACT are not good enough to gain acceptance. The only way is to target only the top colleges where revenue is generated from college sports. These colleges offer preferential acceptance to outstanding athletes with less stellar HS grades. This admission process is subjective and one of the easiest to get away with.

However, it is too obvious and easy to prove fraud when the admitted students did not even engage in the sport and there is a money trail. Had the student been a weak athlete the case would still be hard to prove.
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline momopi

• Thanks
  • -Given: 611
  • -Received: 345
« Reply #35 on: March 13, 2019, 03:53:25 PM »

They target specific college sports that are costly, like sailing, rowing, water polo, fencing, lacrosse, equestrian/polo, etc.  I used to be in fencing.

The parents spend tens of thousands of dollars per year, in case of equestrian it can go up to hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 286

Offline nosuchreality

• Thanks
  • -Given: 97
  • -Received: 332
« Reply #37 on: March 13, 2019, 08:50:10 PM »
Is college coaching that helps or actually writes the essay legal for college admission? Is that a form of cheating?

In my opinion, by having someone writing an essay for you is a form of cheating. Someone told me that someone who writes the admission essay is like a form of cliff notes. Lol

Maybe the college admission formula should just be: gpa, sat scores, and others (such as volunteer work, sports, awards)
No essay should be considered.

Think of it his way. A student can hire someone with a PHD in English or whatever  to write the admission essay. It’s not fair for the rest of the applicants.

In addition, not all college consultants are equal. So you might waste your money on hiring someone because the other kids applying might hire someone that is far better. (My phd example - might even be a PhD student or professor doing a side gig. Not affiliated with the college that the applicant is applying to of course. At least I hope. Another thought came to my mind. They might hire an ex person that use to work for the admissions office. Not just any person. Let’s say a director of admissions. So that person knows what to write in an essay. If that’s the case the other applicants are really behind the curve.)

I bring up valid points. But no one is going to talk about it.

Ain’t no joke. I’ve seen ads of people with big extensive background offering college admission services.

Really sad watching the news shows today and seeing all the support of the 'industry'.  One calling it outright criminality not see before.

Gotta clutch those pearls.  The Testing services and colleges where defrauded!  Never mind it seems completely silly that the testing  companies cant figure out their contract proctors are acting funny when a proctor from Tampa is flying the Los Angeles to administer an exam. And elsewhere multiple times over the years.

You raise good points.  Obviously having someone change your scores is beyond pale, but nobody in the game wants go own up to the Lance Armstrong doping levels going on. 

At what point does 'coaching' become writing it for them?  At what point does coaching for extracurriculars become essentially fabrication?

Offline irvinehomeshopper

• Thanks
  • -Given: 528
  • -Received: 977
« Reply #38 on: March 13, 2019, 09:30:32 PM »
These scams will never go away. I do believe this national headline will inspire copycats to devise a better mouse trap
"I can only imagine at a house warming party what a total embarrassment it would be to tell the guests that there is no tour because there is no more house to show you because you are standing in the only room in the house. "

Offline WTTCHMN

• Thanks
  • -Given: 15
  • -Received: 286

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 579
  • -Received: 495
Two Stanford Students File First Class Action Lawsuit Over College Entrance Scandal

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2019/03/14/southern-california-yale-colleges-stanford-students-class-action/3160526002/

LOL...

In the federal complaint, Erica Olsen and Kalea Woods say they were denied a fair opportunity to gain admission to their choice of a top college, and that their Stanford degrees were devalued by criminal racketeering charges leveled by federal prosecutors.

Olsen, from Henderson, Nevada, said she had “stellar” standardized test scores and athletic talent, but was rejected by Yale after paying her roughly $85 application fee.

"Had she known that the system at Yale University was warped and rigged by fraud, she would not have spent the money to apply to the school," the lawsuit states. "She also did not receive what she paid for – a fair admissions consideration process."

I guess a not so proud Stanford student...these two students will be great to work with!

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #41 on: March 15, 2019, 08:59:31 AM »
I actually feel bad for Loughlin's daughters...they were doing well outside of the school and their parents basically forced this on them.  Now they have no college degree and their business futures are ruined.

It's not the biggest violin but overbearing parents are bad regardless of wealth.

https://www.mercurynews.com/2019/03/15/competitive-lori-loughlin-pushed-indifferent-daughters-to-pursue-elite-college-dream-friends-say/

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #42 on: March 15, 2019, 09:06:51 AM »
The system is clearly broken. It’s not fair that the small guy is getting shafted. It clearly shows if you have money or know people in high places then you are in the advantage.

How about those many students that busted their tail in high school and clearly got shafted?

Don’t trust the process?

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2019, 09:13:41 AM »
The system is clearly broken. It’s not fair that the small guy is getting shafted. It clearly shows if you have money or know people in high places then you are in the advantage.

How about those many students that busted their tail in high school and clearly got shafted?

Don’t trust the process?

Colleges are businesses too...they have a "social mission" but in the end, they need to make money so they can get the best professors and programs so that more students will want to come and pay lots of money.   Unless and until you make colleges "Free" or cheap...the profit motive will generally win.  USC was the leader in getting foreign students to come for a while in large part because they paid a boatload in tuition.

I would also say that the concept that colleges are solely based upon academics seem flawed to me.  Not saying that one should be bribing college officials but Lori Loughlin's daughter clearly had business smarts...she would have been a good addition to any business class.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2019, 09:18:26 AM »

Don’t trust the process?

Colleges are businesses too...they have a "social mission" but in the end, they need to make money so they can get the best professors and programs so that more students will want to come and pay lots of money.   Unless and until you make colleges "Free" or cheap...the profit motive will generally win.  USC was the leader in getting foreign students to come for a while in large part because they paid a boatload in tuition.

I would also say that the concept that colleges are solely based upon academics seem flawed to me.  Not saying that one should be bribing college officials but Lori Loughlin's daughter clearly had business smarts...she would have been a good addition to any business class.

I’m guessing there is going to be new legislation due to this fiasco. They clearly can’t self govern themselves.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Cadence Park environment by Longhairdaddy
[Today at 02:29:15 AM]

Re: Martial arts recommendation for kids? by Logik
[Today at 12:26:07 AM]

Re: Winter is Coming... by iacrenter
[Yesterday at 11:19:51 PM]