Irvine versus San Diego

mikebruin

I realize I'm posting my question on TalkIrvine, so I expect answers to be biased towards Irvine.  But I respect the opinions of several people on this forum, so thought I'd throw this question out there.

I enjoy living in Irvine.  But the job I envision as my last job will be in San Diego.  I'm a road warrior and can do the 65 mile one way commute if I choose to stay in Irvine.  Depending on what time I leave home and work, I can average an hour and 15 minutes each way roughly.  I've also heard very good things about Tesla's autopilot and that might be an option down the road should I choose to stay in Irvine.

Apple is opening a satellite campus in San Diego, expected to create 1,200 high paying jobs there.  There are several IPOs slated for 2019 (Uber, Lyft, AirBnB, etc.) expected to mint hundreds if not thousands of new millionaires in the Bay Area, pushing those home prices well beyond 2MM.  I expect those who can't afford to live in the Bay Area to relocate, some of them to Irvine and San Diego.

On average, which area would you expect to appreciate more?  I think San Diego has a strong tech hub with Qualcomm, and Apple is joining the fray.  They have a ready pool of talent coming from UCSD.

I enjoy living in Irvine, but am fearful that if I don't make a move to SD soon, I may soon be priced out if SD appreciates more than Irvine.  Am I crazy to think SD might appreciate more than Irvine?  I'm specifically looking at North County in SD (Del Mar, Carmel Valley, La Jolla, etc.).  Schools are fairly comparable also, but I think food is better in Irvine.  Thoughts?

Sometimes...you have to go where the job takes you. 

It depends a lot on your life situation...kids is a big one.  If you are a road warrior, you are going to miss a lot of time with your kids even if you have a flexible schedule. 

I think SD area is fine....there are a lot of good schools and areas.  It is somewhat sleepier with retired people and military but definitely a lot of places to go during the daytime. 

undecided said:
Am I crazy to think SD might appreciate more than Irvine?

Yes you are. :)

Irvine is great, but if the job that you plan to stay in long term is in SD, and if you and your family like the SD area and think the schools are good enough, you should strongly consider moving there. Despite being a road warrior, I find it's way more convenient to work close to home so that you can do school stuff with your kids, home maintenance appointments, medical/dentist appointments etc.

irvinehomeowner said:
undecided said:
Am I crazy to think SD might appreciate more than Irvine?

Yes you are. :)

Irvine is great, but if the job that you plan to stay in long term is in SD, and if you and your family like the SD area and think the schools are good enough, you should strongly consider moving there. Despite being a road warrior, I find it's way more convenient to work close to home so that you can do school stuff with your kids, home maintenance appointments, medical/dentist appointments etc.

And I wouldn't worry about appreciation...if it happens...it happens.  Just find a good neighborhood that you can live in for the next 5-10 years and stay.  Moving sucks anyways.

With respect to the food issue...it could matter if you are into those things but SD is a pretty good food town too.  I do not know the minority foods are as good but there are still pockets in the SD area. 

undecided said:
I realize I'm posting my question on TalkIrvine, so I expect answers to be biased towards Irvine.  But I respect the opinions of several people on this forum, so thought I'd throw this question out there.

I enjoy living in Irvine.  But the job I envision as my last job will be in San Diego.  I'm a road warrior and can do the 65 mile one way commute if I choose to stay in Irvine.  Depending on what time I leave home and work, I can average an hour and 15 minutes each way roughly.  I've also heard very good things about Tesla's autopilot and that might be an option down the road should I choose to stay in Irvine.

Apple is opening a satellite campus in San Diego, expected to create 1,200 high paying jobs there.  There are several IPOs slated for 2019 (Uber, Lyft, AirBnB, etc.) expected to mint hundreds if not thousands of new millionaires in the Bay Area, pushing those home prices well beyond 2MM.  I expect those who can't afford to live in the Bay Area to relocate, some of them to Irvine and San Diego.

On average, which area would you expect to appreciate more?  I think San Diego has a strong tech hub with Qualcomm, and Apple is joining the fray.  They have a ready pool of talent coming from UCSD.

I enjoy living in Irvine, but am fearful that if I don't make a move to SD soon, I may soon be priced out if SD appreciates more than Irvine.  Am I crazy to think SD might appreciate more than Irvine?  I'm specifically looking at North County in SD (Del Mar, Carmel Valley, La Jolla, etc.).  Schools are fairly comparable also, but I think food is better in Irvine.  Thoughts?

Are you sure you going to get a job in SD? People usually get the job first then move.

BTW, Apple is not going to bring new set of 1200 employees. 90% of them would be good guys from Qualcomm. Qualcomm?s best is behind and is on a slippery slope.
However, Amazon/Google are hiring big time in Irvine and I would place my bet on Amazon/Google than Apple?hence, Irvine.

OCLuvr said:
BTW, Apple is not going to bring new set of 1200 employees. 90% of them would be good guys from Qualcomm. Qualcomm?s best is behind and is on a slippery slope.
However, Amazon/Google are hiring big time in Irvine and I would place my bet on Amazon/Google than Apple?hence, Irvine.

Someone has to take over that Broadcom campus right?  I mean it's just sitting there.

I went to UCSD for 4 years and still goes back there once a year for vacation. I would absolutely recommend La Jolla or Del Mar. It's every bit as nice as Irvine and you are much closer to the beach, have less traffic congestion, and better weather especially in the summer.

I don't think it's crazy to think Del Mar would appreciate more than Irvine. Del Mar is a new FCB favorite destination.

If you are into Asian food, Clairmont Mesa / Kearny Mesa has much more ( and better ) options than Irvine. Just go to Convoy street once and you will be convinced.

If you are going to commute from Irvine, have you considered Amtrak? I have a friend who used to commute to San Diego (Solona beach) and she took the Amtrak from Irvine everyday. I think it's about 75 mins one way but you can sit down and get some work done not have to worry about traffic. Don't think the price was very expensive either.

Kenkoko said:
I went to UCSD for 4 years and still goes back there once a year for vacation. I would absolutely recommend La Jolla or Del Mar. It's every bit as nice as Irvine and you are much closer to the beach, have less traffic congestion, and better weather especially in the summer.

I don't think it's crazy to think Del Mar would appreciate more than Irvine. Del Mar is a new FCB favorite destination.

If you are into Asian food, Clairmont Mesa / Kearny Mesa has much more ( and better ) options than Irvine. Just go to Convoy street once and you will be convinced.

If you are going to commute from Irvine, have you considered Amtrak? I have a friend who used to commute to San Diego (Solona beach) and she took the Amtrak from Irvine everyday. I think it's about 75 mins one way but you can sit down and get some work done not have to worry about traffic. Don't think the price was very expensive either.

I don't know SD nearly as well as you but I would say that food in Irvine is not just about Irvine...it's about Japanese food in Costa Mesa, Chinese food in Irvine, Tustin, Cerritos, Rowland Heights, etc...Korean food in Fullerton and BP...Vietnamese food in GG....Indian food in Cerritos..etc...Mexican food in Santa Ana.

Irvinecommuter said:
I don't know SD nearly as well as you but I would say that food in Irvine is not just about Irvine...it's about Japanese food in Costa Mesa, Chinese food in Irvine, Tustin, Cerritos, Rowland Heights, etc...Korean food in Fullerton and BP...Vietnamese food in GG....Indian food in Cerritos..etc...Mexican food in Santa Ana.

I agree with that. But that's exactly the problem with living in Irvine while desiring great Asian food. You have to drive out of Irvine and endure traffic.

La Jolla / Del Mar is great for food because it's very close to tourist destinations where there's great food options. The Asian food is very concentrated on Convoy street probably over 100 Asian restaurants in a half mile stretch.

I believe op feels that SD might be the next Silicon Valley. This is like gambling/guessing. (Throwing darts without no target.) Because you don?t know.

Might as well buy in Inglewood due to the Rams Stadium Mega Complex and other projects around that area. (Would I buy in Inglewood? Probably not.) But I do know they are building that area big time.
Other factor to consider: Is it next to the hood? I don?t know

Kenkoko said:
Irvinecommuter said:

I agree with that. But that's exactly the problem with living in Irvine while desiring great Asian food. You have to drive out of Irvine and endure traffic.

La Jolla / Del Mar is great for food because it's very close to tourist destinations where there's great food options. The Asian food is very concentrated on Convoy street probably over 100 Asian restaurants in a half mile stretch.

Irvine has got some really good stuff now...it's not fully Rowland Heights or Ktown but it's darn close

Irvinecommuter said:
Kenkoko said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Irvine has got some really good stuff now...it's not fully Rowland Heights or Ktown but it's darn close

Food is cheaper other places (taste wise is up in the air)
Plus I?m a big fan of grades in front of a restaurant.

I am also a big fan of grades in front of a restaurant like eyephone. When I go to LA county to eat, I would never eat at any C or D places.
But I would not know any better here in OC...

Irvinecommuter said:

Irvine is somewhat close but none of my favorites is here in Irvine. I don't mean a short general list either. I could make a list of my top 20 preferred Asian food and non of them would be in Irvine.

Irvine Asian food is sadly stuck at good/adequate for me.  Is any of your favorite Asian food located in Irvine?

Appreciation wise Irvine will always get you better ROI. But anywhere will get you decent amount of appreciation in 10+ years considering you will live there for awhile unless you have to sell in recession. While I like Irvine better, if my work was in SD, I would move to SD for sure. Well, La Jolla would be closer to my desire.

Food wise, I don't know if Irvine is better. My overall impression of Irvine food is mehh..., but that's because I'm from LA. I remember having pretty decent food in La Jolla couple years ago.

I personally think EVEN IF big companies were to come to SD, it will NOT be another SF. If SD grows this much, Irvine will THAT MUCH. That's just the way it always will be IMO.

Mety said:
Appreciation wise Irvine will always get you better ROI. But anywhere will get you decent amount of appreciation in 10+ years considering you will live there for awhile unless you have to sell in recession. While I like Irvine better, if my work was in SD, I would move to SD for sure. Well, La Jolla would be closer to my desire.

Food wise, I don't know if Irvine is better. My overall impression of Irvine food is mehh..., but that's because I'm from LA. I remember having pretty decent food in La Jolla couple years ago.

I personally think EVEN IF big companies were to come to SD, it will NOT be another SF. If SD grows this much, Irvine will THAT MUCH. That's just the way it always will be IMO.

But you wouldn?t buy. Because you ?think? it will be the next tech hub. I think Irvine/OC is more a tech hub/start ups than SD.

Kenkoko said:
Irvinecommuter said:

Irvine is somewhat close but none of my favorites is here in Irvine. I don't mean a short general list either. I could make a list of my top 20 preferred Asian food and non of them would be in Irvine.

Irvine Asian food is sadly stuck at good/adequate for me.  Is any of your favorite Asian food located in Irvine?

Favorite?  I don't really have very many favorites...so much go into picking a restaurant especially when you have a family.  I care more about the general standard overall and the variety of selection.  Fullerton has great Korean food but not too many Indian restaurants....Rowland Height has really good Chinese restaurant but not great Vietnamese.  Irvine has pretty good and very good restaurants and centrally located so you can access authentic restaurants.

OCLuvr said:

is there evidence that google and amazon are ?hiring big time in irvine???

Based on my information, Amazon Irvine has 3 offices and have close to 2000 employees. Similarly, Google has close to 600 and expanding

Back