Author Topic: Irvine versus San Diego  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Mety

• Certified Irvine Addict
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 117
  • -Received: 128
Re: Irvine versus San Diego
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2019, 04:08:04 PM »
Appreciation wise Irvine will always get you better ROI. But anywhere will get you decent amount of appreciation in 10+ years considering you will live there for awhile unless you have to sell in recession. While I like Irvine better, if my work was in SD, I would move to SD for sure. Well, La Jolla would be closer to my desire.

Food wise, I don't know if Irvine is better. My overall impression of Irvine food is mehh..., but that's because I'm from LA. I remember having pretty decent food in La Jolla couple years ago.

I personally think EVEN IF big companies were to come to SD, it will NOT be another SF. If SD grows this much, Irvine will THAT MUCH. That's just the way it always will be IMO.

Offline eyephone

• Thanks
  • -Given: 312
  • -Received: 572
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2019, 04:14:06 PM »
Appreciation wise Irvine will always get you better ROI. But anywhere will get you decent amount of appreciation in 10+ years considering you will live there for awhile unless you have to sell in recession. While I like Irvine better, if my work was in SD, I would move to SD for sure. Well, La Jolla would be closer to my desire.

Food wise, I don't know if Irvine is better. My overall impression of Irvine food is mehh..., but that's because I'm from LA. I remember having pretty decent food in La Jolla couple years ago.

I personally think EVEN IF big companies were to come to SD, it will NOT be another SF. If SD grows this much, Irvine will THAT MUCH. That's just the way it always will be IMO.

But you wouldn’t buy. Because you “think” it will be the next tech hub. I think Irvine/OC is more a tech hub/start ups than SD.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 04:24:21 PM by eyephone »

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
  • -Given: 579
  • -Received: 495
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:54 PM »
Irvine has got some really good stuff now...it's not fully Rowland Heights or Ktown but it's darn close

Irvine is somewhat close but none of my favorites is here in Irvine. I don't mean a short general list either. I could make a list of my top 20 preferred Asian food and non of them would be in Irvine.

Irvine Asian food is sadly stuck at good/adequate for me.  Is any of your favorite Asian food located in Irvine?

Favorite?  I don't really have very many favorites...so much go into picking a restaurant especially when you have a family.   I care more about the general standard overall and the variety of selection.  Fullerton has great Korean food but not too many Indian restaurants....Rowland Height has really good Chinese restaurant but not great Vietnamese.  Irvine has pretty good and very good restaurants and centrally located so you can access authentic restaurants.

Offline irvineband

• Tourist
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 7
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2019, 06:31:13 PM »
BTW, Apple is not going to bring new set of 1200 employees. 90% of them would be good guys from Qualcomm. Qualcomm’s best is behind and is on a slippery slope.
However, Amazon/Google are hiring big time in Irvine and I would place my bet on Amazon/Google than Apple—hence, Irvine.

is there evidence that google and amazon are “hiring big time in irvine”??

Offline OCLuvr

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 19
  • -Received: 29
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2019, 08:28:51 PM »
Based on my information, Amazon Irvine has 3 offices and have close to 2000 employees. Similarly, Google has close to 600 and expanding

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2061
  • -Received: 1635
« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2019, 08:58:10 PM »
Parts of San Diego are nice.  One of my clients got a job in San Diego and I just got them into escrow on a nice home in the Sel Dur community (right next to 4S)...the area is sorta a mini Irvine.
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline Rizdak

• Yearning for 949 / 714
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 30
  • -Received: 38
« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2019, 09:26:05 PM »
That’s Del Sur, not Sur Del. A little more of a Ladera Ranch than Irvine in my opinion.

The following member(s) thanked this post:

Offline USCTrojanCPA

• Your CPA Realtor
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 2061
  • -Received: 1635
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2019, 10:27:15 AM »
That’s Del Sur, not Sur Del. A little more of a Ladera Ranch than Irvine in my opinion.

Yeah, my bad...flipped the names around.  haha
Martin Mania, CPA
AgencyOne
CA BRE License # 01799007
CA CPA License # 107675
mmania001@yahoo.com
714-747-3884 cell

Often imitated....Never duplicated!

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 57
  • -Received: 125
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2019, 02:12:40 PM »
I commute down to SD twice a week and it's pretty miserable.  Best case down there is 70 minutes with no traffic and with traffic, it's 80-95 minutes on the return.  Also, I've noticed that the traffic is only getting worse these past few years. 

I wouldn't say Asian food is better on Convoy either.  The drive to Convoy from North County is no joke... especially during dinner time.  Right now I eat out a ton in Irvine and it's so convenient to get take-out for a large number of restaurants in the area.  I wouldn't even consider that an option from North County to Convoy area after work.

Also, you can forget about the train.  It's $20 each way and they don't go very often.

Offline paydawg

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
  • -Given: 39
  • -Received: 87
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2019, 03:28:11 PM »

Also, you can forget about the train.  It's $20 each way and they don't go very often.

Even after taking the $20 Amtrak ride, wouldn't you have to pay for an Uber as well?
Thanks in advance for the 'thanks'!!

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2019, 05:58:46 PM »

Even after taking the $20 Amtrak ride, wouldn't you have to pay for an Uber as well?

Yea, the last mile problem exists.  You can always buy an electric scooter to solve it.  Only $500.

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 11:26:05 AM »

Yea, the last mile problem exists.  You can always buy an electric scooter to solve it.  Only $500.

It depends on where the employer is at..tech companies may even bus you from the train station to the site.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/09/the-reach-of-the-bay-areas-tech-buses/500435/

Offline woodburyowner

• O.C. Resident
  • Thanks
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 12:55:47 PM »

It depends on where the employer is at..tech companies may even bus you from the train station to the site.

https://www.citylab.com/transportation/2016/09/the-reach-of-the-bay-areas-tech-buses/500435/

This article is for the bay area.  I haven't heard of any tech company bus people in SD...

Offline Irvinecommuter

• Thanks
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 01:03:05 PM »

This article is for the bay area.  I haven't heard of any tech company bus people in SD...

well..assumption is that SD will be the next Silicon Valley...at least the hope of the OP.

Talk Irvine Links

[Recent Posts]
[FAQ / Rules]

Site Supporters

Related Links

Recent Posts

Re: Cadence Park environment by Longhairdaddy
[Today at 02:29:15 AM]

Re: Martial arts recommendation for kids? by Logik
[Today at 12:26:07 AM]

Re: Winter is Coming... by iacrenter
[Yesterday at 11:19:51 PM]