Foldable phones

irvinehomeowner

Last week, Samsung announced the Galaxy Fold... and HuaWei announced their X-Mate.

Both are very expensive,. ~$2000+, but I can see the usage cases for these type of phones.

One thing I'm not keen about is these "all-screen" phones. Because everyone wants to do these bezel to bezel screens, they are removing useful features like the home button (I'm looking at you Apple) and by doing that they are introducing annoying things like the notch or in the case of Samsung's new Galaxy S10, the hole that interrupts the display. I don't know what's wrong with putting a thin bezel at the top that houses the ear speaker and the selfie camera, and then another at the bottom for a home button.

At least Samsung added a cool feature with the in-display "sonic" fingerprint reader.

So how long before we see the iPhold?

It's an expensive niche product for now but it could signal a growing category in the future. I would avoid this first generation of  foldable phones. Hopefully Apple will come in with a more refined design. They've held onto foldable patents since 2011.

I thought about getting the Galaxy Fold for my son. But he told me: "For that price, you can duct tape ten S8s together." Made me laugh.

The Razr is an interesting product. Instead of folding out to a tablet, it's a smaller form factor that folds out to a large screen phone.

That product may have some traction in the short term.

Speaking as an owner of the first generation iPhone ($599), let someone else be the beta tester.

Apple dropped the price from $599 to $399 just 2 months after initial release, then dropped support after just 2 years.  In comparison the 3GS and 4 were supported for about 5 years.

Back